Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. Is. My. Life. I sell cinema cameras and do some of the lighter warranty work for my company myself. I went to pop open a Sony camera to replace a low pass filter and after trying to make a screw driver fit where it wasn't supposed to, I ended up burning a hole in a ribbon cable from the friction of the turning screw driver. At first I was like, eh no big deal. Then I look and both microphones and a couple of antennas are soldiered to this ribbon cable because Sony is going to be Sony.

Got it all back together though and it didn't even start on fire!

All's well as long as the smoke stays in ... :)

Reactions: int32_t
I am just so looking forward to your picture of all the bits you have left over once you've re-assembled the car. It never ceases to amaze me how much unnecessary stuff they add to these things. The car works just fine without them. Lighter is good, right?
Yes, lighter is absolutely better and I would expect the Model 3 to be much simpler than this. But it's not all needless complexity; it's called "engineering." I used to wonder about all the "extra" components on circuit boards inside electronics since so many of them seem redundant or useless. It turns out there are many things (like transient phenomena) that would destroy the device if it didn't have these extra protective components. Removing "extra" parts is done at risk of poorer reliability. Human body examples include tonsils, the appendix, and other so-called vestigal organs which were thought to do nothing but are now known that (wow) they are there for a purpose!

He's not quiet, he's scheming. Some of us have been burned before... ;-)
What? Nothing, nothing. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

VNqlJv0.gif

OH HAI DERE!

Not dead, just busy as all hell, shipping, packing, movin shakin, I've been feeling a little sick lately *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH... MODS CAN WE PLEASE ALLOW ME TO EDIT THE FIRST POST SO THAT I CAN HAVE LINKS TO SPECIFIC PARTS OF THE BUILD? *COUGH* *COUGH* * I'D HATE FOR PEOPLE TO HAVE TO READ THE THREAD FOR 6 HOURS JUST TO GET TO WHAT THEY REALLY WANT TO SEE.*COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH*

man, I must be coming down with a cold or something.

Now, as a man with a wife/kids its hard to devote as much time as I would like for this project
(all of it) considering the car I need parts from is an hour away, this is what I've (understandably) been getting the whole time

Me (saturday 1pm) - hey, headed out to work on the car

Wife - what time will you be back

Me - around 11pm

Wife - "oh, so you are leaving for 10 hours again to take parts off that car that doesn't work, to fix another car that has been sitting our garage which also does not work"

Me - yes, but I mean when you put it that way....

Wife - "how much is this little adventure costing us"

Me *sweating* - I mean, well, you see...

Wife - "just to be clear you have spent on a non running vehicle, what I feel is too much to spend on an actual running vehicle"

Me *continues to sweat* - uh, yeah. well, you know...

Wife - "THEN YOU PURCHASED A SECOND ONE"

Me *shamefully existing* - see now I know this may look bad but...

Wife - then you spend 12 hours on a Saturday working on a non running car to get another non running car to work?, leaving me with the kids

Me *still sweating* - I mean they can come too?

Wife - in a tow yard in the middle of nowhere with heavy machinery and little supervision

Me *nervously laughing* - well, honestly... its like....

Wife - just to be clear I'm stuck with the kids again?, and some guy that you met on the internet is going to help you do this?

Me *regretting several life choices* - yeah, seems like a cool guy he messaged me on the foru....

Wife - just to confirm you do not know him and you'll be working with a guy you never met at night in an abandoned tow yard an hour away from us for about 10 hours, would you want me to do this?

Me - well, I mean no, you see.....

Wife (soon to be Ex) - I just don't understand, neither car works, why not just buy a running car?

Me - hehe, yeah......... .welp... see ya later!

Last edited:
UPDATE

So you are a Tesla owner and you are stranded at the side of the road? (for the third time) The diagnostics (which you can't run anyway) state there is a Battery pack failure?

You are out of warranty and you need it to be replaced ON THE SPOT???

Welp, call BTR and he will show up with his (patent pending) TESLA MODEL S MOBILE BATTERY REMOVAL Kit (version ii, NOW WITH 100% MORE WOOD!)

included is everything you see in the photo

1) jumper cables
2) extension cable
3) jacks x2 one with subframe brace
4) wood
5) floor creeper
6) kneepads
7) toolbox with holy bible inside
8) btr

KLfvafh.jpg

This is guaranteed to get you nowhere in NO TIME, mostly due to lack of actual tools. Which I (again) forgot to put in the box....

UPDATE

ok so uh, yeah, this is what the inside of the P85 donor car looks like now, I'm mostly taking pics
at this point for documentation purposes, but it looks kinda neat, glass literally everywhere

iyTh3IE.jpg

7kL2BiB.jpg

It just looks like its getting worse and worse doesn't it?

well, it is.

mA0Ce1c.jpg

Wow, over the past 3 days I've covered the whole tread, I have a new heroe. I'm a indy tech in the UK and a true petrol head, however I have been completely won over by the model s, don't get me wrong I'm not about to sell my sierra cosworth but I would love a model s for my daily, unfortunately a new one, even in base spec would cost as much as my house. So I've been trawling the interwebs for salvage and came across this. It's made me want to find two cars even more...I just fear funds might not allow.