Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE

No water detected at contactors so far, yet still reading 200V+ with fuse removed, tons of salt residue from top of pack

Easy does it....

VRBrqW4.jpg

That doesn't look bad at all--it actually looks great.

You could measure the entire pack voltage from under the orange caps on the contactors (with the fuse installed).

i think the lid might be removed without bending if you had a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.

The fact that Im still getting voltage means there is a problem somewhere. Dusting off the old trusty electrical gloves just in case.

I went animal mode on the top cover. The super strong adhesive and bolts mixed with salwater is a force to be reckoned with. The battery blanket on top has saltwater on it.

UPDATE

No water detected at contactors so far, yet still reading 200V+ with fuse removed, tons of salt residue from top of pack

Easy does it....

VRBrqW4.jpg

I'll point out that those are the updated contactors. Since this is an older car this pack has had the "proactive power switch replacement" service done on it, meaning the pack has been opened before.

Wait wait wait wait wait, I'm ok with contacting Tesla to get the car transferred over to me, but the car has pass their inspection in order to be transferred? Are you certain of this? Can't he simply contact Tesla and say that the car has a new owner now?

It does not. You just call them up and they'll send you an email asking for proof of ownership, current address and a copy of your driver's license. They transferred my salvage car to me without issue and transferred it again to the new owner.

And I don't mean to be rude to anyone in particularly but you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by basically ignoring anyone that doesn't have first hand experience dealing with Tesla and salvage cars at least with how the car relates to Tesla. When I bought my salvage car I discovered pretty quickly that 95% of the posts on this forum about salvage cars are made by people that are just regurgitating info they heard elsewhere. I really wish people that don't have experience would make it clear that they're sharing info they've heard versus speaking in absolutes.

Since all Tesla needs is the title or registration, then definitely show them the registration not the title which will likely carry a salvage label.
This is probably obvious, but he can't get a MA registration until the car has been fixed and has passed a Massachusetts salvage inspection:

Salvage Inspections - Salvage - Title & Salvage - MassDOT RMV
Title Policy > Total Loss/Salvage Vehicle Process > Salvage Inspections

Once a Salvage Vehicle has been repaired, and before it can be registered, it must be inspected.

It does not. You just call them up and they'll send you an email asking for proof of ownership, current address and a copy of your driver's license. They transferred my salvage car to me without issue and transferred it again to the new owner.

And I don't mean to be rude to anyone in particularly but you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by basically ignoring anyone that doesn't have first hand experience dealing with Tesla and salvage cars at least with how the car relates to Tesla. When I bought my salvage car I discovered pretty quickly that 95% of the posts on this forum about salvage cars are made by people that are just regurgitating info they heard elsewhere. I really wish people that don't have experience would make it clear that they're sharing info they've heard versus speaking in absolutes.

heh!

Tesla won't do this if it's already salvage in their system. If it's not (which seems to be the case here, since your 3G still works and the previous owner still has it on their account) then you're best leaving it alone for now. Why throw any red flags when you don't need to? It's not like you need the car listed on My Tesla right now.

I went animal mode on the top cover. The super strong adhesive and bolts mixed with salwater is a force to be reckoned with. The battery blanket on top has saltwater on it.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :wink:

So it sounds like you aren't even thinking of trying to use that battery pack? If anything it is parts for someone else to be able to repair a pack...

heh!

Tesla won't do this if it's already salvage in their system. If it's not (which seems to be the case here, since your 3G still works and the previous owner still has it on their account) then you're best leaving it alone for now. Why throw any red flags when you don't need to? It's not like you need the car listed on My Tesla right now.

With all due respect, you're wrong. I straight up told Tesla my car was salvage when I spoke to them (though they already knew) and they said that as far as ownership in their system was concerned, it was irrelevant. They requested the same documentation they requested when I bought my non-salvage car. I sent them a title with a big old "Salvage" marked on the front. They didn't care. When I sold the car a month later the new owner did the same thing, again without issue.

Tesla will indeed transfer ownership in their system, salvage or not. You still won't get software updates but you will be able to remotely access the car so long as you set it up to either tether on your phone or connect to another wifi network.

With all due respect, you're wrong. I straight up told Tesla my car was salvage when I spoke to them (though they already knew) and they said that as far as ownership in their system was concerned, it was irrelevant. They requested the same documentation they requested when I bought my non-salvage car. I sent them a title with a big old "Salvage" marked on the front. They didn't care. When I sold the car a month later the new owner did the same thing, again without issue.

Tesla will indeed transfer ownership in their system, salvage or not. You still won't get software updates but you will be able to remotely access the car so long as you set it up to either tether on your phone or connect to another wifi network.

Then this has changed at some point either to reflect my experience or to yours depending on who's was first. I'm definitely not wrong, but this may not have always been the case.

UPDATE

Removed BMS

Still no sign of water besides what dripped off the top cover

tlDBv7y.jpg

yeT47vo.jpg

photo of BMS

9Vlq57F.jpg

So let me get this straight.... the ONLY part that I have removed so far that has conformal coating was the BMS, and go figure no water even got close to it.

*SIGH*

Nice write up on Teslarati. Very revealing:

http://www.teslarati.com/salvaging-tesla-model-s/

Thanks, I did the write up for Teslarati. Rich was very accommodating and i'm hoping I can go back and document some more progress again sometime (and preferably in warmer weather). Its one thing to be doing this in a professional garage, Rich is literally doing all this in a tight 2 car garage. He should get a prize beyond the working Tesla when he gets this thing going!

- - - Updated - - -

I found that hilarious and I want him to keep it as it is.

A bunch of my buddies got a good kick out of that too!

Sorry for the typo Rich. Having seen it I couldn't leave it.