Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater Camera fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I requested service on my side repeaters due to the blinker light glare and this is what they came back with. I guess they’re doing a bogo for me and seriously reducing labor costs 😂 Guess I’m not super mad about it considering from what I’ve read it could have been much higher. Still think both should be free for a known issue but, I digress. I’ll take it…🤷🏾‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_9115.jpeg
    IMG_9115.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_9116.jpeg
    IMG_9116.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9191.jpeg
    IMG_9191.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 189
Mine is a 2018 and when I mentioned this issue the tech said that when I bought the car, the cameras were not meant for dashcam, lane change viewing, etc and therefore never designed with those purposes in mind. That was their standard reply to say they are not covered. However, I lucked out and they ended up replacing both of my repeater cams free. Free is always great but I would have been pretty happy with the bogo as well.

Most services under warranty are handled by Tesla first giving an estimate which the owner has to approve before the repairs or fix is handled by Tesla. In most vases Tesla waves off the charges are good will once the repair is completed. This has been my experience after owning 3 Teslas over the last 5 years.

I have a 2018 out-of-warranty. I started doing more driving at night and the glare issue was finally getting to me, so I asked for replacements, which I knew would be out of pocket. Mobile service just did it today.

The replacement cameras (LH 1495864-20-D and RH 1495865-20-D) were $130 for the part and $87.50 for the labor per side. What the service advisor who set up the appointment missed is that the replacement cameras are for current cars with black trim. There is a chrome trim piece attached by adhesive tape (LH 1514877-01-C and RH 1514878-01-C) that's an extra $10 per part that needed to be ordered at the same time. Make sure it's on the cost estimate if you have have chrome trim and want to keep everything matching.

I told the tech I wanted the pieces and they sent me a new cost estimate with an extra $49 for labor fee just to tape on those trim pieces. Waiting to see if they are going to waive it for the mobile tech to come out, otherwise I'll just see about ordering the trim from them separately.

• Informative
Reactions: mgs333
Just had my side repeater cameras replaced on Black 2020 M3LR.
They did not come with the chrome covers. However I watched a video on how to carefully strip off the the old chrome covers and have them saved to put on later after testing the new cameras for a few weeks.
HOWEVER: The new cameras do not attach flush to the car like the old ones.
There is a significant gap along the top and at the pointed ends. Mobile service did the retrofit and I didn’t notice before he left about the gap issues, black cameras on black car.
Drove to Tesla SC near my house to see if a tech could tell me if this was normal for the retrofit. By the strangest coincidence I parked next to my exact same car in black with the upgraded cameras with no chrome covers. I checked the other model 3 and sure enough, there were the same exact gaps. When filling out the service survey I noted that I was unhappy about the gaps but that the light bleed had been resolved. Got a tech to look at it and he said it is the same on their loaner car I parked next to, so a “characteristic”.
So the question is, has anybody seen this same issue?
Pics attached and invoice (ouch!)

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpeg
    IMG_3244.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 43
Just had my side repeater cameras replaced on Black 2020 M3LR.
They did not come with the chrome covers. However I watched a video on how to carefully strip off the the old chrome covers and have them saved to put on later after testing the new cameras for a few weeks.
HOWEVER: The new cameras do not attach flush to the car like the old ones.
There is a significant gap along the top and at the pointed ends. Mobile service did the retrofit and I didn’t notice before he left about the gap issues, black cameras on black car.
Drove to Tesla SC near my house to see if a tech could tell me if this was normal for the retrofit. By the strangest coincidence I parked next to my exact same car in black with the upgraded cameras with no chrome covers. I checked the other model 3 and sure enough, there were the same exact gaps. When filling out the service survey I noted that I was unhappy about the gaps but that the light bleed had been resolved. Got a tech to look at it and he said it is the same on their loaner car I parked next to, so a “characteristic”.
So the question is, has anybody seen this same issue?
Pics attached and invoice (ouch!)
Maybe the chrome cover would cover up the gap?

I have a 2021 with the black repeaters and from memory, mine has a gap also. However I removed mine and reinstalled it for PPF, so the clips may now be looser than from factory.

I laid the old chrome covers over the new cameras and no overhang unfortunately.
It doesn’t look obvious from a couple feet away. I was concerned about dust, dirt or water getting in behind the front quarters.

Yes, sorry to say this but this is not how the fit of replacements should look. Botched install that either damaged or broken top tabs on the replacement units OR poorly seated ones.

You are right to be concerned with water ingress. In fact, often one or both sidemarkers installed like this will fail as the housings are prone to micro-cracking and water from rain and/or carwashing will get into the housing from behind, often resulting in condensation buildup in the turn signal strip (visible as little water droplets inside the housing).

Replacement cameras (latest for the pre-HW4 or even HW4 ones) should fit flush with no gaps just like the old 2017/18/19 units.

There are also far better aftermarket chrome covers with a beveled edge that can be used to match the OE chrome trim.... see what EV Garage in Miami installs when replacing the light-bleed side marker cameras with new units.

This is not how the fit of replacements should look, and yes you are right to be concerned with water ingress. In fact, often one or both sidemarkers installed like this will fail if installed like this as water from rain and/or carwashing will get into the housing from behind, often resulting in condensation buildup in the turn signal strip (visible as little water droplets inside the housing).

Replacement cameras (latest for the pre-HW4 or even HW4 ones) should fit flush with no gaps just like the old 2017/18/19 units.

There are also far better aftermarket chrome covers with a beveled edge that can be used to match the OE chrome trim.... see what EV Garage in Miami installs when replacing the light-bleed side marker cameras with new units.
Thank you for validating my concern. I will ask Tesla service to have another go at it.
I will look at other options for the chrome trim before putting the old ones back on. The old covers have the Tesla logo stamped in.

Yes, sorry to say this but this is not how the fit of replacements should look. Botched install that either damaged or broken top tabs on the replacement units OR poorly seated ones.

You are right to be concerned with water ingress. In fact, often one or both sidemarkers installed like this will fail as the housings are prone to micro-cracking and water from rain and/or carwashing will get into the housing from behind, often resulting in condensation buildup in the turn signal strip (visible as little water droplets inside the housing).

The camera is sealed, with a waterproof gortex valve in the back and is not reliant on that gap being 100% flush for weatherproofing (if it were, there would be a gasket, not just hard plastic). That's why the instructions for the camera mod say you must seal the camera back properly after doing it.

The cameras that get condensation inside the light is because of defects in the plastic (micro cracking). The taillights getting condensation is the same reason. People that have sealed up the microcracks have no more condensation even with the same gortex patch.

The camera is sealed, with a waterproof gortex valve in the back and is not reliant on that gap being 100% flush for weatherproofing (if it were, there would be a gasket, not just hard plastic). That's why the instructions for the camera mod say you must seal the camera back properly after doing it.

The cameras that get condensation inside the light is because of defects in the plastic (micro cracking). The taillights getting condensation is the same reason. People that have sealed up the microcracks have no more condensation even with the same gortex patch.
Thank you for this information. The updated repeaters are the latest revision so I assume they would be properly sealed in the back. It makes sense if they were really worried about this issue, they would include gaskets for the housings.

Correct, however as I mentioned (re micro cracks), if the side markers are not fully seated, tight and flush against the fender, any water (especially from a pressure washer or a strong downpour) will have an easier time getting inside through those micro-cracks/stress-cracks in the camera housing... they often develop along the leading edge and on the inner facing surface of the sidemarker units so would be far more exposed to the elements if not properly seated.

Moisture build up will of course first fog up the housing, or with time cause video and sensor handshake signal errors, and eventual loss of signal once the tiny circuity boards inside fail. This can easily be observed when checking camera/sensors via the Service Menu.

Re-sealing the micro-cracks is easier on the tailights where they can be present from new, all the way to developing years later due to repeat trunk open/close cycles, thermal cycling, chemical interaction with housing plastics, etc.

BTW, manufacturing flaws and poor quality control of the old two piece taillights are in part the reason Highland switched to the one piece, hatch mounted simplified assemblies. Something Tesla will of course never openly admit.

Even adding auto-open/close to the Trunk on the newer cars didn't help prevent microcracks from developing. So now the whole assembly moves up/down with the trunk hatch. Will be interesting to aee how these fair in a year or few.

As a side-effect of the new assemblies, the reverse lights on a Highland have now relocated to the lower bumper reflector area.

Reactions: RMannino
Gap problem solved today by mobile tech.
The latest revision cameras come with a small square block of rubberized foam on the back that puts pressure outward on the pointed tail of the camera in case the installed camera is loose when snapped in. I asked him to remove the rubber blocks and reinstall both cameras. The huge gap at the end of the tail and further down the camera housing is very minimal now. Cameras now sit very close to the body and have ever so slight movement when you try to move them up and down with your hand.
I would rather have them this way instead of the huge pressure that was being applied by the rubber block and flaring out the pointed tail.

Reactions: Perscitus