Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace Windshield - anyone have success negotiating with insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came out to my car this evening to a pretty wide crack on my front windshield. Called my insurance (Allied/Nationwide) and they said they will let me take it wherever I want, but will only cover ~$800.

I've read that these Model S windshields can run as high as $1400 or so to replace.

I have a strong preference for having the Tesla Service Center to the work, versus going through one of my insurance company's approved windshield repair partners, and I'm perfectly fine coming out of pocket a few hundred dollars. However, I'm wondering what I can do to try and close the gap between what Tesla will charge, and what my insurance will cover?

I plan on calling my local Tesla service center tomorrow morning when they open, and I'm just hoping that the quote will be closer to $1000 or so. Have parts gotten cheaper over the years?

2015 Model S 70D (AP1 car)

What's the deal with your insurance? I have comprehensive with glass coverage at a $250 deductible. Tesla would charge $1400-1700 depending on which windshield. There are no other alternatives to Tesla glass still....no Safelight, etc. Insurances just foot the Tesla bill no questions asked.

What caused the crack? If it was a rock peck or vandalism, your comprehensive insurance should cover it minus your deductible (mine was $100.00). If it was a stress crack, that should be covered by Tesla under warranty. With all of the sensors, mirror mount, and bonding, etc. I would not consider anyone but Tesla. Mine was replaced in October, 2015, and cost $1,290.91 minus the deductible.

@gopassgas - not sure what the deal is with my insurance. I have full glass coverage with $0 deductible, so maybe they feel like they need to cut their out-of-pocket costs since they're not collecting any deductible from me. They said they would only pay for reasonable and customary costs...some verbiage along those lines, which for my area Orange County, CA, is apparently ~$800.

@Handlebar's14S - not sure what caused the crack. I doubt it's a stress crack. Had the car now for nearly 18 months. Best guess is there may have been a small chip or imperfection in the glass I never noticed, and leaving it facing the sun today causes it to crack outwards. Most days I park my car at work so that only the rear window is facing the sun, but, got to work late today and only spot available was a spot where my front windshield was facing the sun.

I have a $1000 deductible, so, I think I'd be much worse off there.

They said they would only pay for reasonable and customary costs...some verbiage along those lines, which for my area Orange County, CA, is apparently ~$800.

I would tell the insurance company - great, tell me the place that will replace and warranty replacing the front windshield on a Tesla for $800. You'll take it there and they can pay the company directly.

When they cannot find a place, tell them to suck it up and pay the REAL reasonable and customary cost of replacing the windshield (which will be at the Tesla service center since no one else does it).

@gopassgas - not sure what the deal is with my insurance. I have full glass coverage with $0 deductible, so maybe they feel like they need to cut their out-of-pocket costs since they're not collecting any deductible from me. They said they would only pay for reasonable and customary costs...some verbiage along those lines, which for my area Orange County, CA, is apparently ~$800.

@Handlebar's14S - not sure what caused the crack. I doubt it's a stress crack. Had the car now for nearly 18 months. Best guess is there may have been a small chip or imperfection in the glass I never noticed, and leaving it facing the sun today causes it to crack outwards. Most days I park my car at work so that only the rear window is facing the sun, but, got to work late today and only spot available was a spot where my front windshield was facing the sun.

I have a $1000 deductible, so, I think I'd be much worse off there.
Check your policy, I have never hear of reasonable and customary on windshield coverage. If there was an aftermarket option I could see their point of view but that is not the case.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
I didn't mention in my original reply...I'm in California and have GEICO insurance. Comprehensive coverage with glass replacement $250 deductible for anything. The rock impact I had ended up causing a crack in short order that extended about 16 inches in the middle of the windshield. I did not go to Tesla first. I contacted GEICO first who arranged with Tesla to do the replacement. I paid Tesla the $250 directly as a balance due that GEICO did not cover for the deductible. Total bill was $1400 or so. Very painless.

My S85D had a windshield crack a month or two ago that was way too big to repair. I had a service center replace it (took several tries to find a service center in the SF Bay Area that had an AP1 windshield in stock). The bill from the service center was around $1200. My insurer (AAA) initially gave me the "reasonable and customary" line. Surprisingly after all was said and done they reimbursed me for everything minus my deductable.

The replacement windshield has one slight difference in that there's a black area on the glass next to the rear view mirror. From what I've read, this area is where one could mount a Fastrak or similar transponder and not have the signals blocked by the windshield coating (on the original windshield there was nowhere that worked, and I ended up Velcro-ing my transponder to the rear liftgate glass). Haven't had a chance to try in this new location yet.

Bruce.

PS. Note that OP lives in California (as I do). People in other states have different laws regarding glass repairs and replacements, so might have different experiences.

Came out to my car this evening to a pretty wide crack on my front windshield. Called my insurance (Allied/Nationwide) and they said they will let me take it wherever I want, but will only cover ~$800.

I've read that these Model S windshields can run as high as $1400 or so to replace.

I have a strong preference for having the Tesla Service Center to the work, versus going through one of my insurance company's approved windshield repair partners, and I'm perfectly fine coming out of pocket a few hundred dollars. However, I'm wondering what I can do to try and close the gap between what Tesla will charge, and what my insurance will cover?

I plan on calling my local Tesla service center tomorrow morning when they open, and I'm just hoping that the quote will be closer to $1000 or so. Have parts gotten cheaper over the years?

2015 Model S 70D (AP1 car)
Your insurance company needs to understand that Only TESLA can replace your windshield, NO ONE ELSE. I went through the same experience approximately 4 years ago, where my Insurance company wanted to give me a run around and take my car to Safelite or somebody like them. I was having the discussions with my insurance company while at TESLA SC in Rockville, MD. SC Manager saw me getting upset with the Insurance company and offered to intervene. I gladly let him handle the call and insurance company got it straight up that no one but only TESLA can repair the damage and there is no negotiation when it comes to the cost. Everything got settled within matter of minutes. (Talk about TESLA's unbeatable customer care)

Your insurance policy is a contract between you and your insurance carrier. They are obligated to bring your car back to its pre-damaged condition, the way you are obligated to make insurance premium payments in a timely manner. If dispute does not get resolved to your satisfaction fairly quickly you have the right to file a complain with the California Insurance Commissioner who has the oversight over insurance companies in state of California (I see that you are in California). Here is the web link:

Auto Body Repairs and Replacement Parts

Interesting the different scenarios out there.
Have had 2 windshields replaced. AAA of Az insurance. In both cases Tesla service ordered the part for the P85, and co-ordinated install from outside vendor of my choice at the service center during routine maintenance visit.
I had purchased zero deductible glass coverage so there was no charge at install...