Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced Battery Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All,

I have a late 2015 S 70D, battery was recently replaced (april 2019) for a new one as per Tesla's maintenance report. Just to see, I decided to charge to 100% to see the capacity, it is reading 292 miles - now I'm pretty sure the 70D battery was only 240 - my questions are these, what battery do I have now? And is it uprgradable/uncorkable?

• Love
Reactions: M423
HI All,

I have a late 2015 S 70D, battery was recently replaced (april 2019) for a new one as per Tesla's maintenance report. Just to see, I decided to charge to 100% to see the capacity, it is reading 292 miles - now I'm pretty sure the 70D battery was only 240 - my questions are these, what battery do I have now? And is it uprgradable/uncorkable?
Look for the bar code sticker behind your front right wheel and you should be able to see the model number and determine if you have a 75 kWh or 90 kWh battery.

If you don't want to take a peek at the battery sticker, you could figure it out if you pay attention during your next SuC session. Just pay attention to the charging characteristics compared to the corresponding charts.

The "70kWh" battery pack should taper at 22% SOC.

The "90kWh" battery pack should start its taper at 46% SOC.

Assuming you get use an unpaired V2 SuC.

Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars

Reactions: eprosenx
HI All,

What was the indicator and cause of the battery failure? I’m curious since I also have a 2015 70D. Why didn’t you just ask Tesla what they replaced it with?

What was the indicator and cause of the battery failure? I’m curious since I also have a 2015 70D. Why didn’t you just ask Tesla what they replaced it with?
My S70D had it's packed replaced also and Tesla doesn't seem to people what the cause was, I was only told they found a fault in the logs and will be replacing the pack and that's all I got out of them.
HI All,

I have a late 2015 S70D, battery was recently replaced (April 2019) for a new one as per Tesla's maintenance report. Just to see, I decided to charge to 100% to see the capacity, it is reading 292 miles - now I'm pretty sure the 70D battery was only 240 - my questions are these, what battery do I have now? And is it uprgradable/uncorkable?
Tesla replaced my pack with a 75kWh, but from what I read somewhere the motors pre-facelift may not allow the uncorking, but I hope that's wrong :). Lastly If you got a 90 pack, I am deeply jealous ;)

My S70D had it's packed replaced also and Tesla doesn't seem to people what the cause was, I was only told they found a fault in the logs and will be replacing the pack and that's all I got out of them.
Was your battery giving you any indication of a problem? How many miles did it have on it, and what was your 100% charge when they replaced it? My 70D battery has more degradation than I would like to see, about 216 rated miles at 100%, at around 73k miles. But other than that, it seems to be working normally.

Did they make a 400v 70kWh? I thought that the 60/70/75 were all 14 module 350v and that the 85/90/100 were all 16 module 400v. Seems unlikely that you got upgraded to a heavier battery since I believe this requires a suspension change to comply with crash testing. Although it has happened at least once on an air suspension vehicle where suspension changes are supposedly just a software setting.

EPA rated range for a 75D is 259 miles, check if your display is not set to show "typical" instead.

So this seems very likely. Would love to be wrong.

I bet it's a 90
I was told by my SC all replacements will be 90s
I got new motor a few weeks ago. They said I got new 2019 motor and gearbox.. surposed to be "more efficient and powerful"
Than my 2012 motor.

Do you use any apps that show option codes? I bet this is the DU01 rear motor introduced in 2017. I believe DU02 is smaller rear motor that comes with the raven PMSR front motor (similar to the Model 3 rear motor). And that DU03 is the bigger rear motor in that same setup. You have a RWD right?

Anyone know if the new 2019 bearings are in the motor, drivetrain or both? Are they ceramic?

Last edited:
Was your battery giving you any indication of a problem? How many miles did it have on it, and what was your 100% charge when they replaced it? My 70D battery has more degradation than I would like to see, about 216 rated miles at 100%, at around 73k miles. But other than that, it seems to be working normally.
My 70D at 100% was around 234mi rated at about 70k miles with 100% charges about once a week. It was 236mi rated at around 55k miles when I got it. The refab 75 pack has less than 4k miles on it and rated is already down to 246 with me babying the hell out of it unlike I did with the 70 pack... So I guess sometimes it's down to luck..

The 70 was working normally aside an issue that if I hung at a supercharger, after about 45 mins battery would be so hot(I'm assuming) that regen and acceleration were severely reduced for a short time. Post about that replacement here. where there's a pic when the power limiter down to almost nothing after supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
My battery has been experiencing severe degradation lately. For the longest time I've had some minor degradation and based on my 90% new state to now have lost 25 miles. Of which, 15 miles just this month alone. Within the last month, I've lost 3 miles, then 10 miles and an additional 2 miles. I called Tesla when I lost 10 miles and they told me to reboot the screens and to power off the car through the menu for 3 minutes. I've done this twice before my last charge yesterday and lost 2 miles.

Person I spoke to yesterday had no idea what I was talking about as he was talking about efficiency throughout most of the call until I had to correct him. Had to point out his mistakes again when he tried to tell me that the degradation was within acceptable range. He finally gave in and said they would contract my local service certain to their "virtual" team to look at the logs and will hear back within 3 to 4 business days.

This is a car less than 4 years old with less than 56k miles.

I bet it's a 90
I was told by my SC all replacements will be 90s
I got new motor a few weeks ago. They said I got new 2019 motor and gearbox.. surposed to be "more efficient and powerful"
Than my 2012 motor.
Hey Lasttoy,
What was the issue with the motor, was it replaced under warranty?

I had a knocking sound coming from the front structs and the service center replaces them citing that it was a known engineering issue.

Thanks,

My car : March 18 75D ~14k miles

Another update. So charged another two times since and lost another 4 miles and 2 miles, respectively. Called Tesla a couple more times and their support is useless. Local service center still has not called back and I finally got around to scheduling appointment. I suspect a module has failed. Last person I talked to said that Tesla will only honor 70% degradation before replacing. I don't think this was even considered until the Model 3 came out.

I'm not able to reach local service center by telephone as I don't think it's even an option. The last time I talked to someone through Tesla Support they forwarded me over to local service center parts which went directly to voice mail at which point I just hung up after waiting almost 20 minutes to even talk to someone.

Basically my service center callback record is atrocious.

CuriousG,,, Good luck on getting to local service. That's impossible now. New ZERO KARMA policy. I just drive 50 miles there to confront them. Draper has gotten worse. I called last week. Got a female in TORONTO International call center. Did NOT understand English at all.
I gave up. I was stuck with half charging in northern Virginia. She kept saying , GO TO SERVICE CENTER, idiot, I was on the way back to Florida.

Another update. So charged another two times since and lost another 4 miles and 2 miles, respectively. Called Tesla a couple more times and their support is useless. Local service center still has not called back and I finally got around to scheduling appointment. I suspect a module has failed. Last person I talked to said that Tesla will only honor 70% degradation before replacing. I don't think this was even considered until the Model 3 came out.

I'm not able to reach local service center by telephone as I don't think it's even an option. The last time I talked to someone through Tesla Support they forwarded me over to local service center parts which went directly to voice mail at which point I just hung up after waiting almost 20 minutes to even talk to someone.

Basically my service center callback record is atrocious.

I and several others are having a similar situation. I lost 29 miles in the last month and it continues. We need to collect more data car configurations, battery part numbers, etc
See
S85D sudden degradation