Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement battery falls short of new [non warranty - insurance replacement]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my high-voltage battery replaced on my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance. At 103k miles with 11% battery degradation from new, I ran over an 8" rock that damaged the underside of the car. Tesla Service replaced the battery (ASY,HVBAT,75KWH,AWD-RWD,1PH,RMN1137375-01-K). Total parts $9,924, labor $1,410, total $11,334.

With the new replacement battery - even if the replacement were "remanufactured", I guess I would have expected to see new or 100% of the original range of 310-315 miles on a full charge. Instead after "re-calibrating" the replacement battery only delivers 280 miles of range when full.

Is this acceptable? What actions would you take?

A similar discussion is in this thread here, except that I think they ended up with a battery that was similar to new as far as range goes.

So I had my high-voltage battery replaced on my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance. At 103k miles with 11% battery degradation from new, I ran over an 8" rock that damaged the underside of the car. Tesla Service replaced the battery (ASY,HVBAT,75KWH,AWD-RWD,1PH,RMN1137375-01-K). Total parts $9,924, labor $1,410, total $11,334.

With the new replacement battery - even if the replacement were "remanufactured", I guess I would have expected to see new or 100% of the original range of 310-315 miles on a full charge. Instead after "re-calibrating" the replacement battery only delivers 280 miles of range when full.

Is this acceptable? What actions would you take?
Yes, you paid for a reman battery, which is several thousand cheaper than a new one. Sounds like you are matched to what you had before (which seems to be what Tesla tries to do even in case of collision (non-warranty) repairs).

I think you can get SMT if you want to know all the details about the pack you have now (charging history etc. seem to be preserved?). I don’t use it so not 100% sure. Seems quite likely it has a lot fewer cycles than your prior pack.

If you paid for a new battery I would have expected close to the original range. I’m not sure it is possible to pay for a new battery of that vintage with 2170 (not L) cells though.

If your original battery had 11% degradation, or 89% of new capacity, it was presumably reporting about 276 miles of rated range (89% of 310 miles of rated range that it had when new).

So you got a remanufactured battery that is slightly better (reporting 280 miles of rated range) than the original battery. In other words, you got one that is no worse than the original one before the damage. But you did not win the lottery and get one that has new or like-new capacity and rated range.

Tesla's warranty policy is to give a replacement at least as good as the original one was before the warranty failure. It would not be too surprising if they did something similar for replacements for damage repairs, since it would not require any different processes, and would avoid customer complaints about the replacement being worse than the original.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H