Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HV Battery replacement coming.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From past experience.
(1) It will be remanufactured. If you want brand new, then you have to pay the delta and you need to ask them what it will be. Sometimes they won't offer brand new.
(2) Range will be dependent on remanufactured or brand new. I think in some warranty document they say that it will be the same or better than the battery that you currently have. So expect 287 or more. But they do not guarantee that you will get back 315 miles.
(3) It should have the remaining of the original battery. I don't think they give you another 7 years and unlimited mile warranty as it was originally.

-The terms of the HV battery state that the replacement will return your range to at least the range it was before it quit, not original range #'s.
-Terms state it can be a refurbished pack replacement.
-The balance of the original 8-year HV battery warranty remains in place.

Note that, due to availability and timing you may get a new battery although this is rare. If that happens you would see original range #'s once again. Warranty remains the same though and this is the equivalent of winning the HV battery pack lottery as it's not a frequent occurrence since Tesla wants to avoid it for obvious financial reasons.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Definitely will be refurbished. As stated above, the warranty says same or better. That being said, my battery was replaced and the rated range was 10-15 miles less than battery it was replacing. Make sure to have the conversation prior to picking up your car. They may tell you "it will take a few months for the range to increase." I am not sure I have ever seen range increase over time. Make sure you know what you are comfortable accepting before you pick up your car. Get it in writing, etc...

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
What exactly is a "refurbished" battery from Tesla? Do they change out bad individual ells or packs, even though other 3rd parties can't seem to do that?
I don't have information on what Tesla actually does to refurbish a pack. However I would expect to receive a pack with used cells/modules, all matched with others of equivalent age and total Amp-Hour (or kWh) usage. I expect the cells to be equilivent or better than the pack being replaced. I also expect all circuit boards to be inspected and replaced if there are signs of corrosion. Also, some components, such as the contractors and maybe fuses, are likely replaced with new. The pack enclosure vents and seals should all be replaced the new parts of the latest design to prevent future water intrusion and corrosion.

GSP

What exactly is a "refurbished" battery from Tesla? Do they change out bad individual ells or packs, even though other 3rd parties can't seem to do that?
Like many things, Tesla is mum on this. I suspect Tesla reman packs range from one simple fix to all new cells and hardware. What packs they can't fix, I hope are recycled.

To me, reman packs from Tesla are a gamble. Thankfully they have a 4 year warranty.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Perhaps others can chime in, but my sense is the newer the car and the larger (100 kWh) packs, are far more likely to get a new pack under warranty. The older the car that is still within the warranty, and if the pack is smaller 60/70/75/85/90 are more likely to get a refurbished pack. Seems some owners who have a pack smaller than 90 kWh get a 90 kWh pack, although it may be software limited to the original size.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Perhaps others can chime in, but my sense is the newer the car and the larger (100 kWh) packs, are far more likely to get a new pack under warranty. The older the car that is still within the warranty, and if the pack is smaller 60/70/75/85/90 are more likely to get a refurbished pack. Seems some owners who have a pack smaller than 90 kWh get a 90 kWh pack, although it may be software limited to the original size.
Would be good if this is the case but I'm hearing differently as you can see from this post.

Ok I'm new to this stuff to be honest this is my first tesla. How would I go about doing that?
The pack label is located by the front passenger side tire. You'll have to get on the ground to see it.
FB_IMG_1683236984722.jpg