Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Right Hand Wing Mirror Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the misfortune to clip an oncoming van on a narrow country road causing the 'skull cap' to shatter along with the mirror glass. I was quoted almost £1,000 by the Tesla approved body shop in Bristol UK to replace the whole mirror but since the rest of the unit was perfectly fine I chose the less expensive option of a new skull cap painted and lacquered at around £100 expecting to be able to pick up an after market mirror no problem.
Can I source a replacement right hand mirror? Not a chance! A few suppliers on eBay advertise their heated mirrors to fit 'Model S, X' but in fact they're only suitable for the model S. (I've since told them but they don't change their adverts)
I have approached the UK parts of Tesla an had the 'sorry we are unable to supply this part'. The eBay mirror (for a model S) does not sit well in the housing and cannot be angled correctly for my driving position. I spoke to a local MOT test station who took a look, he said he would be inclined to pass it as the glass was whole, which is a relief since my car is almost 3 years old now and will be due for a test next month.
My gripe with Tesla is someone somewhere is manufacturing the genuine part, I'm ready and willing to pay to ship it over from wherever in the world it's manufactured /warehoused it's just so frustrating. I don't wish to spend almost £1000.00 on a complete new unit, given that mine's not broken, I don't agree with sending good stuff to landfill, I just want Tesla to get me a new glass! Has anyone else found a solution?your comments would be very much appreciated!