Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 492 miles the P7 AS Plus 3 is starting to hit its stride. The tires are quiet and the ride quality is really starting to show. The bumps and impacts never feel harsh. Lets be real, the P7s don’t transform the Model Y into a floaty Lexus but they noticeably take the edge off sharp jolts and road irregularities.

We are experiencing a heat wave all week with 100+ degree temps and currently at 295 Wh/m. I will give it another 1,000 miles before making judgment on efficiency. The OEM ProContact RX settled down to 262 Wh/m by 1,750 miles. The P7s should be at that mileage in another 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: STBR0510
19" Apollo/Gemini wheels. Just replaced OEM ContiProContacts, first with Michelin CrossClimate, then Michelin Pilot A/S 4.

CrossClimate: For my region, with miles and miles of exposed aggregate (NOISY!!!) roads, the CrossClimates were positively thunderous. Unacceptable for me. Only kept them on for 400 or so miles, then used the Michelin 60-day swap warranty. Had to replace with another Michelin tire.

Michelin Pilot A/S4: Immediately noticed how quiet they are. 10/32", softer rubber/sidewall than the 9/32" firm/stiff sidewall of the OEM ContiProContacts. Handling, turn-in, much improved, much more compliant ride.

Efficiency? Clearly, neither the CrossClimate nor the Pilot are LRR tires. In 400 miles with the CC, efficiency never dropped below 310 Wh/mi. After 1500 miles with the Pilot A/S 4s, efficiency has improved from a 310 Wh/m down to around 300 Wh/m.

My lifetime (31k miles) on the ContiProContacts was 286 Wh/m.

(I just completed 8500 mile road trip in our 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited. I tried the Cross Climates for 1200 miles, FW to Charlottesville, VA, and decided they were just TOO LOUD. Replaced under swap warranty with Michelin Pilot A/S 4s, and my wife noticed how much quieter they are, and MUCH softer than the OEM LRR Bridgestone Turanza EL440s (235/45R18 94V) which were the hardest, noisiest tires I've ever owned. HOWEVER, we've lost about 8-10% efficiency with the softer, more compliant Pilot A/S 4 tires)

I hit 42,000 miles on the stock Continentals and really liked the tires but put on Michelin Cross Climate 2s a month ago. I have about 3000 miles on them now and I can say I really like them on dry and in the rain. Waiting for the heavy snow this winter to test them on that front but so far so good on ride, noise, comfort and efficiency.
How do the CrossClimate 2s compare to the stock Continentals for noise? My tire shop warned me that they’ve had complaints from Tesla owners who’ve made the switch to the 2s. Are the 2s significantly louder?

How do the CrossClimate 2s compare to the stock Continentals for noise? My tire shop warned me that they’ve had complaints from Tesla owners who’ve made the switch to the 2s. Are the 2s significantly louder?
After 4000miles I don't see a significant noise difference. There definitely was at first but now that they wore in they seem about the same. For me any slight noise change is worth the grip achieved in inclement weather.

Yea I'm excited to try them out in this upcoming Minnesota Winter.
My son got a set of cross climates for his Forester and loves them. They ride better and are a little quieter than the Bridgestone Ecopia tires they replaced.

It's hard to generalize, though - the XL rated tires that EVs need will have necessarily have a stiffer sidewall to support the weight so they may not behave the same on a Tesla as they do on other cars.

This thread confirms the reality that different road surfaces in different regions require different tread patterns.

In fact, on one of Michelin's numerous info sites, Michelin states exactly this.

Based on the previous few posts, Wisconsin roads, in general, must be very different from TX roads. Of course, the climatic requirements are entirely different, as well.

This thread confirms the reality that different road surfaces in different regions require different tread patterns.

In fact, on one of Michelin's numerous info sites, Michelin states exactly this.

Based on the previous few posts, Wisconsin roads, in general, must be very different from TX roads. Of course, the climatic requirements are entirely different, as well.
True, and that’s why we can only extrapolate whether a new tire is better or worse than the previous under same conditions. I happened to replace my tires almost exactly one year later so it gives me a very accurate picture between OEM and P7 tires across same driving style, conditions, and even time of year.

Just for kicks, I checked out 19" tire availability from my wholesalers. I can get a set of 4 Chinese tires in 255/45-19XL for around $450. Since the differences between all the high-end tires are essentially nitpicking amongst enthusiasts, (Justified by the price) I wonder how a Model Y would ride with the absolute cheapest tires you can buy. We know all of the Michelin/Pirelli/Vredestein tires are good, they all just lean slightly in different directions with their strengths and weaknesses. Would it be a single-digit percentage degradation in noise/ride/handling with a Chinese tire, or more? And for less than half the price, would it be worth it?

Sounds like the intro to a YouTube video I could make... I just need my Model Y first. :p

Reactions: STBR0510
Just for kicks, I checked out 19" tire availability from my wholesalers. I can get a set of 4 Chinese tires in 255/45-19XL for around $450. Since the differences between all the high-end tires are essentially nitpicking amongst enthusiasts, (Justified by the price) I wonder how a Model Y would ride with the absolute cheapest tires you can buy. We know all of the Michelin/Pirelli/Vredestein tires are good, they all just lean slightly in different directions with their strengths and weaknesses. Would it be a single-digit percentage degradation in noise/ride/handling with a Chinese tire, or more? And for less than half the price, would it be worth it?

Sounds like the intro to a YouTube video I could make... I just need my Model Y first. :p
If the inexpensive tires cost half as much as the premium tires but wear out twice as fast, ride poorly and have more noise what have you saved? Inexpensive tires are what you put on a vehicle you know you will soon be selling or trading.

I'm sure wet/dry handling is worse, I'm sure noise isn't great, but treadwear can be surprising on the budget tires. (Due to a hard compound) It's hit or miss. I'd never recommend these to anyone, but it would be fun to stack the cheapest tire money can buy up to the top 3 and see how it fares. For... science? :)

Last edited:

very true. It also makes it that much more frustrating to try and pick a tire! There's a ton of variables that go into a given tire design that are all compromises to varying degrees, particularly with all season tires. The compromises that make sense in MN don't necessarily work in TX and vice versa.

We've discussed ride and suspension quality in the past and the same likely applies. In the wintertime in MN you can get a bit of frost heave at cracks in the asphalt essentially creating a mini speed bump. The ride suffers in any car but with my Y it's miserable. If I lived in the southwest I'd still feel the cracks in the road but they'd be a lot more tolerable without the frost heave.

fiehlsport: The number one reason I would NEVER go cheap on a $60,000, 4500lb car is safety. You get what you pay for.

Why are you asking "us" anyway, since most here will disagree with you? Go ahead, buy the tires, let us know how it goes. ;)
Oh yeah, just thinking out loud. I disagree with it too - but it would be fun to test as an experiment in the dry.

Once these cars finally start to depreciate (hopefully someday?) there will be plenty of them rolling around on Chinese tires anyways. Seems to be what most non-car people gravitate towards on used cars. I sell a lot of them, it's hard to convince the masses, but they certainly do the job. Heck, I saw a guy in a wheel thread here put brand new Westlake tires on his new wheels for a Model Y. The tires aren't going to kill anyone, but there's certainly better choices out there, especially if you plan on driving at all in the Winter.

Back to the point of the thread: I think if we could just get someone to test the newest coil springs available on the Y on the older builds, it would solve a lot of the ride comfort issues. The ride is so firm that tires can only help so much.

Last edited: