Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires Redux

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a lot of different threads on here regarding tires so I apologize in advance if this is redundant. But I just took my 2017 MS 60D in for my first annual maintenance and they did a tire gauge inspection and told me my Goodyears were at 3.5/32 with only 17K on them. Since it's less than 4/32 they aren't going to perform any tire rotation or alignment without replacing them for $900. Service Manager told me that I could shop around and that they would align my tires later if needed. I'm rather disappointed and was wondering if anyone else here is experiencing the same thing with tire wear? I don't drive overly aggressive and it's normal Los Angeles area driving - I'd expect a little more than 18k on non-racing tires.

I'm thinking of riding it out for a few 1000miles more but wondering if this is advisable. The tires look fine and I'm not planning on waiting until they go bald (less than 2.5/32).

And on replacement recommendations I'm eying the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and was wondering what the general feedback is on these and what the difference is. The A/S 3 is about $34/tire more than the A/S 3+

It might be helpful to add your recommendations, Pros/Cons Price and Reason for your recommendation.

Reactions: Struja
The A/S 3 is about $34/tire more than the A/S 3+
I don't understand that. The 3+ is the redesign because the 3 was terrible in snow (not that that is an issue for you in LA).

I have 9K miles on the 3+ (had MXM4 as OEM and got 27K on those). I'm very happy with the 3+'s. BTW, I got an $80/tire credit from Michelin on the MXM4's for their 45K tread wear warranty.

My Eagles didnt last but 15000. My rear was really out of alignmet. I have German made Dunlap RXX, 300km, ZR rated. They are half gone in rear after 10,000. Goodyear has new effeicantgrip electric drive tire for EV cars , google it. Introduced 6 march in genva

The Goodyears have been crap, yeah. Both the first gens and these "touring" foam variants.

I got 53,000 miles from the Michelin OEMs and there was enough tread left that I probably could have made it to 60,000 miles.

I won't get more than 27,000 miles out of the Goodyear Eagle Touring OEMs, which means that my tire cost owning a Tesla has doubled.

When these are done, and arguably they're done now after only 1 year of ownership for this second Model S, hopefully I'll have found the right CPO AP1 car to trade into (essentially a clone of what I had previously), else will reluctantly spend another $1000 for a set of the Michelin OEMs. Since the Michelins are now down to $800/set, plus the usual nickel and dime-ing, less the ubiquitous $70 "rebate". It's close to $1K out the door in any case.

One strategy has been to have the tires sent to an SvC and to time that with an annual service.

I've heard 35K-38K is possible with the first gen Goodyears (Eagle RS-A2), and I did get a set of those for $450 out the door, but from a just get it over with standpoint, the value is in the Michelins. They're simply a better-made tire - deeper stiping, belts I believe are wider - that sort of thing.

Reactions: jedinite
I got about 24K out of the Goodyear Touring OEM tires and am at 2/32 on one tire, 3/32 on 2 others, replacing with same tires is 1109 all in, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 OEMs are 1072 all in.

I found some Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 245/45/19 102W for $692 all in with 50K wear warranty, significantly less than OEMs. There is a good write up at Tire Rack ( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230 ) - Pirelli AS+ 1st and Michilin A/S 3+ close second. Anyone used these Pirellis?

I got about 24K out of the Goodyear Touring OEM tires and am at 2/32 on one tire, 3/32 on 2 others, replacing with same tires is 1109 all in, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 OEMs are 1072 all in.

I found some Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 245/45/19 102W for $692 all in with 50K wear warranty, significantly less than OEMs. There is a good write up at Tire Rack ( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230 ) - Pirelli AS+ 1st and Michilin A/S 3+ close second. Anyone used these Pirellis?

Thanks for the link. I think it confirms my choice with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. Dry/Wet performance is the best and after looking at warranty and tread wear rating it meets my criteria and should last a lot longer than the Goodyear Eagle Touring Foam tires. They are $46/tire more expensive.

Now, do I jump on replacing them right away with 3/32 tread wear @ 18000mi or do I ride it out for another 4-7k miles?

I have 10k miles on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires, and love them on my 90D. Long tread life, LRR, and quiet.

By any chance, did you have the Michelin OEMs prior to trying the above Pirellis? If so, how was the quietness, relatively speaking?

After a year and less than 30K miles, the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires are toast. I had gotten 53,000+ miles out of the Michelins before swapping those on a previous S and there was significant tread remaining - they might have gone 60K miles.

That said, longevity ain't everything, and I recall the Michelins getting as loud as anything else toward the end of their tread life.

So I've narrowed it down to either another set of Michelin OEMs (the Primacy MXM4), which were quiet enough in the early going, LRR, and just a better tire than the Goodyears, *else* I keep hearing good things about the Pirellis lately. So those are the final 2 contenders.

I'd punt and just get a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s for less than $500 out the door since I don't plan to keep this car a day longer than it will take to replace it with an AP1 variant, but the difference between those and the Michelins is maybe $300, and I wouldn't wish the Goodyears (either variant) on anybody.

Like you, I had the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. Only got 20k miles on them - what a joke. I decided against the Primacy MXM4 after reading one too many complaints about excessive road noise. P7s thumbs up.

Thanks - I can attest to the noise from the Michelins, and agreed about the GETs - doubling my cost of ownership for tires and then some - not a net positive.

So the only issue remaining for the Pirellis of which I can think is that an SvC may not rotate them since they're not OEM - but that's alright - there are plenty of America's/Discount Tire shops around.

Didn't think I'd go the Pirelli route but yeah, haven't heard about noise issues with them versus the Michelins, and I do like that they are also LRR. I'll take an extra 3% any way I can get it.

Haha, I drive spirited, car 25k, both all seasons and winters have to be replaced. I got Potenza P-04s high perf. summers and replacing with the same X-Ices for winter setup.

I am now officially on Polish only rims, the Rial Lugano OE cap Graphite were sold out so I got a set of Bright Silvers for the Potenzas, love the pewtery complexion. TSLA service went greedy and upped the center caps to $75 per set, Bimecc 19" lug caps are my antitheft devices:)