Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I am getting the 'stinky feet' smell when my A/C comes on now and passengers are complaining. I have decided to use the Kool-It evaporator foam cleaner.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any info online on how to remove the cabin air filter and gaining access to the evaporator fins. I would prefer to not take apart any more of the than necessary to avoid any other problems. Is there any step-by-steps online for our model years? I have found a lot for the pre-palladium model S but nothing for the palladium version.

I found the cabin air filter. It is accessed by removing the magnetic panel in the footwell behind the glove box. No sign of the evaporator there though. Next stop is the hepa filter. Perhaps it can be seen behind that.

Did it get rid of the smell when you replaced the cabin filter? Is the cabin filter the same filter as the old model? Could you please post pics or instructions how to do? Thanks in advance.
Replacing the filtr does not get rid of the smell. There is a treatment for the 'stinky feet' smell using evaporator cleaner but I am unable to find a way to access it. I'm going to have Tesla do it this time and then find out how to treat it next time myself. There are some DIY videos on youtube but they are for other models. It seems to work for about a year from what I hear.

Reactions: drdonger
I am not sure if this is still the case, but for a while, the access to the service manuals had been reduce to $0--you could try subscribing and maybe find the correct procedure. Personally, given the car is still under warranty, I'd see if Tesla can so something about it.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS
I have access to the service manuals and could not find a direct. way to access the evaporator. Furthermore, replacing the actually HEPA filters looks to be a major undertaking.
I would def let Service handle the funky smell for now until a more easy/direct method to access the evaporator is devised.

Reactions: Bull
I'm having this exact same issue. I have a 2021 model S from late in the year. Getting to the cabin filter is easy, but I have no idea how to get the AC coil in the cabin. The cabin filter has been replaced twice and the A/C still absolutely stinks. Tesla told me they would clean the coil, but when I took it to them they only changed the filter. They said cleaning the coil is no longer part of the process, then they ended the chat.

Anyone have any idea how to get a foam cleaner on to the coil?

9C9D8D53-2B34-4D06-88E9-A460A11A4566.jpeg

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and cassiri
Typical of the service team. They try one thing and doesn't fix the issue so you need to bring the car back a few more times before they get it right. Maybe now cleaning is a different procedure that they only do if replacing the filter doesn't work. Reading the response they had a request to change the filter and nothing else. If you create a new service ticket about the smell issue they may then put a cleaning request in the ticket.

Reactions: roocher and TLLMRRJ
I'm having this exact same issue. I have a 2021 model S from late in the year. Getting to the cabin filter is easy, but I have no idea how to get the AC coil in the cabin. The cabin filter has been replaced twice and the A/C still absolutely stinks. Tesla told me they would clean the coil, but when I took it to them they only changed the filter. They said cleaning the coil is no longer part of the process, then they ended the chat.

Anyone have any idea how to get a foam cleaner on to the coil?

View attachment 848570
I have been trying to get them to clean the evaporator coil on my Plaid as well. They said that they are no longer allowed to use the Kool-It foam cleaner per a recent directive from Tesla. Almost 2 years ago they treated my pre-refresh 2021 MS with Kool-It and it worked well.

They did clean it a couple weeks ago with some sort of ionization equipment ("Used HVAC Cleaning Machine" was on invoice) and it smelled good for a few days. The stinky feet smell is back now though.

Apparently they used to just run the Kool-It up the drain tube to get to the evaporator. I purchased the Kool-It from Amazon and have been looking for someone to describe the procedure in detail but so far no luck.

I have the same smell. Never had it in my 2015 P85D. Not sure what design flaw is causing this but once again Tesla service has been a disappointment. As others mentioned above I got the new filter which of course didn't solve the problem. They first said they would do the cleaning but then said later they couldn't. All this while postponing my service appointments routinely. This is getting real old....

They did clean it a couple weeks ago with some sort of ionization equipment ("Used HVAC Cleaning Machine" was on invoice) and it smelled good for a few days. The stinky feet smell is back now though.

Apparently they used to just run the Kool-It up the drain tube to get to the evaporator. I purchased the Kool-It from Amazon and have been looking for someone to describe the procedure in detail but so far no luck.
I tried my ionizer and it didn't help much, though I think my coil is in a really bad state.

My drain tube goes out the lower center of the dash into the forward engine bay, then it snakes down about 12" toward the passenger side of the car and feeds out the bottom. I have some Kool-it. Might be worth putting the car on stands and feeding it up the drain line.

I tried my ionizer and it didn't help much, though I think my coil is in a really bad state.

My drain tube goes out the lower center of the dash into the forward engine bay, then it snakes down about 12" toward the passenger side of the car and feeds out the bottom. I have some Kool-it. Might be worth putting the car on stands and feeding it up the drain line.
Is this on a refresh S?

Please post your results with the Kool-It.

I haven’t located the drain line and was told by service that the car doesn’t drain directly to the ground any longer. I’ve never seen a puddle under the car from ac.

Refresh S? Mine definitely drains to the ground. Puddle under the car when humid.
yes Plaid August 2021 build date. I thought I had drainage early on but haven't lately. Service center said they don't drain directly any longer. Haven't seen a puddle in months. I thought maybe drain line was backed up causing the smell. You would think Service could find such an obvious thing???

yes Plaid August 2021 build date. I thought I had drainage early on but haven't lately. Service center said they don't drain directly any longer. Haven't seen a puddle in months. I thought maybe drain line was backed up causing the smell. You would think Service could find such an obvious thing???
I can't imagine where else the water would go except to the ground. It is very odd that they would say that. It is possible that you have a kink in your drain hose but that would be a long shot. Maybe plugged as well. I would schedule service for A/C condensation not draining AND stinky feet smell.

If the smell is similar to the model 3's, then the way to keep it from coming back is to turn off AC and run the fan only on fresh air for a little bit before you hop out of the car. - yes, I know you shouldn't have to. - yes, this could also be fixed by tesla programming the car to do it automatically after you get out. Doing this dries up any condensation that builds up while using the AC. I got in the habit of doing this a couple of years ago and immediately stopped having the issue.