Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that's just because it's sensing your phone. I installed a hardwire kit for a radar detector for a friend and he messaged me saying it never turns off. I know 100% it does, he just had his phone in the house was still within range of the car so the car never went to sleep. I had him power off his phone and go look at the car and the detector was powered down.

There's been a few reports of people getting their Teslas broken into at night because the phone is within range from inside the house. The thieves walk up and try the door and it opens up instantly and they take whatever they want.
Even if the Tesla app on my phone isn’t ever open (even in the background) ? I’ve got the “ keep vehicke unlocked at home” setting enabled in settings

Reactions: Sam1
We suffer the same infirmity but honestly — I’m more concerned with breaking something else trying to fix the box. The disassembly is a big production, including inside the passenger foot well. So I’ll live with my ghetto-taped box for now. 😂😂
I wonder if they’re going to replace the whole thing for me. Irrespective, I took a look at the hepa assembly procedure on the service website. Yes it’s pretty involved but doable on a Sunday.

I wonder if they’re going to replace the whole thing for me. Irrespective, I took a look at the hepa assembly procedure on the service website. Yes it’s pretty involved but doable on a Sunday.
The difficult half of the new housing assembly looks to be identical to the original. Not worth the considerable effort to replace it for me. The changes appear to all be in the front half which is easy to replace. So far, so good with no smell returning.

The stank smell is the HEPA filter. The SC will try and run you through the ringer and "clean" your system with that evap foam and cabin filter replacement as many times as they can convince you thats the issue. They got me with that crap 2 times. Each time, it smelled like rainbows and puppies right after the "cleaning." Then, 24 to 48 hours... back to death warmed over smell. It wasnt until I insisted (thanks to the advice of my mobile guy) that they change the HEPA that they actually did it. AND, as you may or may not have read from previous posts, it was an updated enclosure anyway (mobile dude had to do the whole thing.... "someone" broke one of my original retainer clips too..../looks around guiltily).

Skip the cabin filter bs, skip the cleaning bs. Insist on the hepa enclosure replacement. Hell.... take the friggin hepa filter out and drive without it. I bet you a box of them krispy cremes your smell goes away.

Oh, and my service was free (i believe someone was asking about cost or something). Covered under warranty (22 MSLR)

The stank smell is the HEPA filter. The SC will try and run you through the ringer and "clean" your system with that evap foam and cabin filter replacement as many times as they can convince you thats the issue. They got me with that crap 2 times. Each time, it smelled like rainbows and puppies right after the "cleaning." Then, 24 to 48 hours... back to death warmed over smell. It wasnt until I insisted (thanks to the advice of my mobile guy) that they change the HEPA that they actually did it. AND, as you may or may not have read from previous posts, it was an updated enclosure anyway (mobile dude had to do the whole thing.... "someone" broke one of my original retainer clips too..../looks around guiltily).

Skip the cabin filter bs, skip the cleaning bs. Insist on the hepa enclosure replacement. Hell.... take the friggin hepa filter out and drive without it. I bet you a box of them krispy cremes your smell goes away.

Oh, and my service was free (i believe someone was asking about cost or something). Covered under warranty (22 MSLR)
Are the hepa enclosure parts an up revved part number? Thinking newer built cars will have the updated hepa enclosure.
By chance have a screen shot of the work order with the part number?

The best way to fix the issue I posted months ago in here. All you have to do is turn off the AC and put it on fresh air for a few minutes before you get out of the car. That will dry the evap coils and keep it from smelling. Replacing a filter only works for a little while then it smells again when the filter starts getting damp.

I've also said multiple times that Tesla could easily patch fix this (if they ever get around to redesigning the system so it stops smelling) by putting a 3 minute timer to turn on fresh air when you get out of the car if you have had your vent on recirc while driving.
This never worked for me and I tried everything. Taking out the filter was the only way. I’ll eventually get around to ordering the new part but for now the drop in ac filter has been the solution.

This never worked for me and I tried everything. Taking out the filter was the only way. I’ll eventually get around to ordering the new part but for now the drop in ac filter has been the solution.
It works because it dries out the moisture, which is the issue. Changing the filter is only a temporary fix because the new one also gets damp and does the same thing over time.

Maybe it depends on your region/weather and you may need to pop the heat on because it's humid outside? We have almost no humidity here so just straight up normal air will dry it out.

IMG_2762.jpeg

Prototype fitted. Let’s see how it does

Hepa assembly changed today . Took mobile service about 2 hours from arrival to departure. Cost me $400. I see the $400 as the cost of avoiding 2 service center visits, umpteen frustrating conversations to replace the cabin filter and failing to resolve the issue to only then finally replace the hepa.

The filter sock is now over the new hepa cover. Hope this problem is now behind me

Hepa assembly changed today . Took mobile service about 2 hours from arrival to departure. Cost me $400. I see the $400 as the cost of avoiding 2 service center visits, umpteen frustrating conversations to replace the cabin filter and failing to resolve the issue to only then finally replace the hepa.

The filter sock is now over the new hepa cover. Hope this problem is now behind me
It should be covered under warranty IMO.