Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing valve block without depressurizing the system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced the struts on my X which led the system to fill up with rather moist air. Now it's below freezing and the air compressor fuse keeps blowing. I had Tesla flush and fill the system with nitrogen, hoping this would clear out the moisture, but today the fuse once again blew.

I am under the impression that the freezing moisture is in the valve block (?), but then I would need to replace it, leading to all my precious nitrogen venting. Is it possible to prevent this from happening? These hoses are not exactly easy to clamp down..

Good news / bad news: You paid them for nothing, b/c the system is constantly refreshing the charge in the reservoir. It pumps up the reservoir to a high pressure to have as a reserve to add to the struts as they leak down from suspension flexing. Sometimes this happens quickly, sometimes it happens slowly. But the good news is that it would take a LOT of moisture in the air to freeze in the system and cause issues - like unless you pumped it up in a steam room, you likely don't have enough in the system to cause the issues you are having.

The nitrogen charge is just a starting point, it's not as important as people think.

Good news / bad news: You paid them for nothing, b/c the system is constantly refreshing the charge in the reservoir

Normal operation of Tesla air suspension is completely recirculating, it does not take air from outside unless there is a leak. So the nitrogen should stay there for quite a while. Surely nothing can be 100% sealed so eventually nitrogen will find its way out.

I am having exactly the same issue, though. Every time temperature is below freezing, the compressor fuse blows. When it's warmer there are no issues.

I don't have any obvious leaks in the system. Even without the compressor fuse, car stays at normal driving height for 3-4 days before finally starts to drop. So just need to drive the car to some warm garage to melt, then replace the fuse and all is fine again (for a while).

I'm not sure what to do next. Compressor is working so it would sound silly to replace it. Same for the valve block.

Here's an excellent explanation by @MobileClimate