Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Required XPEL Roll Width?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, I have a MS arriving in 2 weeks (pickup is 3/21) I'm planning to put XPEL Stealth over everything myself. I've done plenty of films on windows so I'm fairly confident I can DIY it.

I've found a source for the film, it comes in 24in, 30in, 36in, and 60in width rolls (each 50ft long)

Could someone measure the width of the hood (or whatever is the widest part of the car) for me? I'm wondering what width I need. I could wait for my car to arrive, but I'd rather have the film ready to go when I get the car.

1. 60 in width
2. There are several grades of Xpel. Be sure you are purchasing Ultimate.
3. It takes far more skill to put it on the body than it does on the glass. I suspect you'll do it a couple of times--at least in the trickiest places.
4. Don't forget to do the small part between the windshield and the pano roof (assuming you have a pano roof).

You will need 60" for the hood, roof(if non-pano) and hatch. Plate area can be made from 60" material turned on it's side(cut it wide-ways).
30" for front bumper. Rear bumper can be done on a piece that is about 12" wide by about 110" long IIRC (or the next smallest roll you can attain which may be 24"). Front fenders are 30".
Rear fenders are 36". A-pillars up and back to the rear fender will be 24" for both sides(all should fit on one 24" wide by the length section).
Doors are 36".
Because you're custom wrapping, the mirrors and handle faces can be made from trimmings.
Nose cone is about 36"x 12".

I am not at the shop to cross reference software so I would not bet a life on this being 100% accurate. But from memory, I believe this is accurate.

For a great looking job, locate a qualified installer who is familiar with TMS's. For someone who has no experience with PPF, you are taking on a lot of risk of burning through a lot of expensive film. If you're more of a DIY'er type that just loves learning new stuff, maybe the best fit for you would be to purchase pre-cut sections and install those. Custom wrapping is not for the faint of heart. There are a TON of experienced installers who aren't good with custom wrapping... Best of fortune completing it. ;)

You will need 60" for the hood, roof(if non-pano) and hatch. Plate area can be made from 60" material turned on it's side(cut it wide-ways).
30" for front bumper. Rear bumper can be done on a piece that is about 12" wide by about 110" long IIRC (or the next smallest roll you can attain which may be 24"). Front fenders are 30".
Rear fenders are 36". A-pillars up and back to the rear fender will be 24" for both sides(all should fit on one 24" wide by the length section).
Doors are 36".
Because you're custom wrapping, the mirrors and handle faces can be made from trimmings.
Nose cone is about 36"x 12".

I am not at the shop to cross reference software so I would not bet a life on this being 100% accurate. But from memory, I believe this is accurate.

For a great looking job, locate a qualified installer who is familiar with TMS's. For someone who has no experience with PPF, you are taking on a lot of risk of burning through a lot of expensive film. If you're more of a DIY'er type that just loves learning new stuff, maybe the best fit for you would be to purchase pre-cut sections and install those. Custom wrapping is not for the faint of heart. There are a TON of experienced installers who aren't good with custom wrapping... Best of fortune completing it. ;)

Shooting you a PM.

Thanks for the replies all!

I know it's a little odd, spend $100k on a car, but then can't stomach the idea of spending $8k on PPF. I guess I'm willing to spend $1-2k on film and DIY (learning new things is fun for me) if I'm not happy with my own work, I can always take it to my local shop and pay a pro. I'm sort of a perfectionist and always use the right tools for the job, so I'm pretty confident I can do it. My problem is usually not enough spare time for these projects.

I know it's a little odd, spend $100k on a car, but then can't stomach the idea of spending $8k on PPF. I guess I'm willing to spend $1-2k on film and DIY (learning new things is fun for me) if I'm not happy with my own work, I can always take it to my local shop and pay a pro. I'm sort of a perfectionist and always use the right tools for the job, so I'm pretty confident I can do it. My problem is usually not enough spare time for these projects.

If you simply love learning new things, no one can fault you for that. I am the same way! But PPF is the real deal in terms of experience showing in the final result. I've seen too many window film installers think they can jump right into PPF because they've stretched tough rear windows....and their work looked BAD. PPF is counter intuitive in how it acts and installs. It's finicky and expensive.

May I make a suggestion that may help you keep the most money in your pocket? Start with the more difficult parts to wrap before you pull the trigger and buy a bunch of film for the whole car. Try installing a few of these more difficult sections that do not require as much film and then you can gauge how comfortable you feel with spending big money on the bulk film. This way, if you feel this is more than you are comfortable with, you will have minimal waste/money invested.

Try purchasing enough for a rear fender, side mirror and rear bumper. If you're using 'stealth' film, you can't do a partial mirror and many people fight with a good looking single mirror piece. The rear fenders are not impossible, but they are difficult for folks who've no experience. The rear bumper is a long piece with only the hatch lip to crease over, but it requires finesse to make the inner hatch access look good.

If you feel good installing those pieces, you will feel good about the rest. If you do not like how it looks or the time needed, you can reach out to Moe at Glistening Perfection. He is a sponsor who offers fantastic PPF installations. Happy installing!

Looks like it is 37$ a foot for the 60" width and it can't take more than 20 feet at the most. Sounds like a fun project and if it doesn't go well, just peel it off and try again. I did a kit on my Dodge Viper myself and it came out OK. Not professional but that car was much more difficult with all it's sultry curves...
Good luck

Hi Everyone, I have a MS arriving in 2 weeks (pickup is 3/21) I'm planning to put XPEL Stealth over everything myself. I've done plenty of films on windows so I'm fairly confident I can DIY it.

I've found a source for the film, it comes in 24in, 30in, 36in, and 60in width rolls (each 50ft long)

Could someone measure the width of the hood (or whatever is the widest part of the car) for me? I'm wondering what width I need. I could wait for my car to arrive, but I'd rather have the film ready to go when I get the car.

If you want to wrap the edges and corners, you'll need 60x65

Make sure to use their gel. And I believe Stealth film has the same self healing ability as Ultimate.

- - - Updated - - -

My only concern is, there's a huge learning curve when doing custom...the things scaring me the most for you...cutting the film on your MS without having the "touch". It may cost you more than you think if you cut the film and cut your paint. I do this for a living daily and still don't take it lightly when it comes to cutting on someone's car.

I haven't done this yet, just been too busy.

I have changed my plan to use a cheaper film for the first attempt. I have a black MS, and I want the black matte look. There are a bunch of film vendors that are about 50% of the cost of XPEL, of course they are about 50% the thickness too. With all the people talking about how hard it is, I figure it would be better to try with the cheaper film.