Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rescheduled for the 3rd time...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my whole story, see my original post above. Short version, original delivery scheduled for Aug. 8th (black RWD aero), got a call 6pm the night before cancelling the delivery because they found some issues with the last batch of cars.

The following day, Aug. 8th, I went to the delivery center anyway, because I wanted to get some answers face to face. The place was quiet, no deliveries at all that day. Spoke to Emma Aguilera, the Delivery Supervisor, found out that last batch of cars from Fremont had some paint issues, they were still trying to figure out how to resolve it, and all deliveries for that day and the following were cancelled. She reached out to my ISA (Giovani Marin) to have him re-match me with a newly built car, and new VIN. Next day Giovani said he'll have to wait for a new batch to be released, a few days or so, then around 4 days to ship the car to LA, prep, then deliver, so hopefully I'll have a car at some point late next week (that would around Aug. 17th). A few day later I called him again and things started to go south. The story changed to "I don't have an update, and I don't know when I'll have one", he apologized, said this is happening to a lot of people in LA, but that's all he knows. I continued to follow up every few days, each time I got the same answer, I have no update, no VIN.

Yesterday, Aug. 18th, I went to the Marina Del Rey delivery center again (on Alla Road), Emma was not in, but I spoke at length to a very friendly delivery guy named Gianni Cherry. Told him the whole story, including how upset I was that 10 days later I still don't have a new car/Vin/delivery date. As it turns out they did match me with a new car (not sure why my ISA was not aware of this), it's in Burbank, BUT they found paint drips on the rear bumper, it's going to the body shop, 7-14 days before it's ready. I must have really bad luck.

I said I was not interested in waiting that long, nor do I want a car that had to be repainted. I want a new car and I want it ASAP, and I will keep coming back in person if that's what it takes, this is no way to treat a 2 year reservation holder. I was firm, but polite, but made sure he knew I wasn't happy. He said he'll look into it, find me a car and I will definitely hear from him by 6pm that day.

It seems as deliveries are increasing there is small number of unassigned cars floating around between Freemont, their N. Cal holding lot, Burbank, and MDR, for any number of reasons (last minute cancellations due to whatever, job loss, death in family, customer decided to upgrade to AWD or Performance, after the car was built, whatever). Trick is finding one of these "unassigned cars" and matching it to me.

He did call, as promised, and said a customer was supposed to take delivery of a car with my configuration at MDR, walks in, sees a Model 3 in white, and changes his mind, now wants one of those colors. So now they are trying to reassign that car to me. I will keep you guys updated to let you know what happens.

Moral of the story, if you can't get help over the phone, with either the delivery center or your ISA, and you can make the time, go to your Delivery Center in person. Be polite, but firm, and don't leave until you have an update, along with the name, email and phone number of someone who is willing to help. I'd also recommend to maybe find another person like yourself in this forum, and maybe show up together. Strength in numbers. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I wish for Tesla to succeed, but they need a lot of work on the customer service front, especially when things to wrong. There is no excuse for not getting any update 7-10 days after a cancelled delivery.

hort version, original delivery scheduled for Aug. 8th (black RWD aero), got a call 6pm the night before cancelling the delivery because they found some issues with the last batch of cars.

Same car, same delivery center, same original date as me. You managed to get way more info. All I've heard whenever I ask is "be patient", making me feel like I'm at fault for wondering when I'll get the car I was supposed to get 2 weeks ago. Now I'm convinced I'll get one of your rejects whenever they get around to reworking them. Fantastic.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I suppose we should be grateful they're catching these issues before delivery. Trying to stay patient. Just sucks to be without a car as I sold my old one right before I expected to originally take delivery. But I'm sure I'll forget about it the day after taking delivery.

• Love
For my whole story, see my original post above. Short version, original delivery scheduled for Aug. 8th (black RWD aero), got a call 6pm the night before cancelling the delivery because they found some issues with the last batch of cars.

The following day, Aug. 8th, I went to the delivery center anyway, because I wanted to get some answers face to face. The place was quiet, no deliveries at all that day. Spoke to Emma Aguilera, the Delivery Supervisor, found out that last batch of cars from Fremont had some paint issues, they were still trying to figure out how to resolve it, and all deliveries for that day and the following were cancelled. She reached out to my ISA (Giovani Marin) to have him re-match me with a newly built car, and new VIN. Next day Giovani said he'll have to wait for a new batch to be released, a few days or so, then around 4 days to ship the car to LA, prep, then deliver, so hopefully I'll have a car at some point late next week (that would around Aug. 17th). A few day later I called him again and things started to go south. The story changed to "I don't have an update, and I don't know when I'll have one", he apologized, said this is happening to a lot of people in LA, but that's all he knows. I continued to follow up every few days, each time I got the same answer, I have no update, no VIN.

Yesterday, Aug. 18th, I went to the Marina Del Rey delivery center again (on Alla Road), Emma was not in, but I spoke at length to a very friendly delivery guy named Gianni Cherry. Told him the whole story, including how upset I was that 10 days later I still don't have a new car/Vin/delivery date. As it turns out they did match me with a new car (not sure why my ISA was not aware of this), it's in Burbank, BUT they found paint drips on the rear bumper, it's going to the body shop, 7-14 days before it's ready. I must have really bad luck.

I said I was not interested in waiting that long, nor do I want a car that had to be repainted. I want a new car and I want it ASAP, and I will keep coming back in person if that's what it takes, this is no way to treat a 2 year reservation holder. I was firm, but polite, but made sure he knew I wasn't happy. He said he'll look into it, find me a car and I will definitely hear from him by 6pm that day.

It seems as deliveries are increasing there is small number of unassigned cars floating around between Freemont, their N. Cal holding lot, Burbank, and MDR, for any number of reasons (last minute cancellations due to whatever, job loss, death in family, customer decided to upgrade to AWD or Performance, after the car was built, whatever). Trick is finding one of these "unassigned cars" and matching it to me.

He did call, as promised, and said a customer was supposed to take delivery of a car with my configuration at MDR, walks in, sees a Model 3 in white, and changes his mind, now wants one of those colors. So now they are trying to reassign that car to me. I will keep you guys updated to let you know what happens.

Moral of the story, if you can't get help over the phone, with either the delivery center or your ISA, and you can make the time, go to your Delivery Center in person. Be polite, but firm, and don't leave until you have an update, along with the name, email and phone number of someone who is willing to help. I'd also recommend to maybe find another person like yourself in this forum, and maybe show up together. Strength in numbers. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I wish for Tesla to succeed, but they need a lot of work on the customer service front, especially when things to wrong. There is no excuse for not getting any update 7-10 days after a cancelled delivery.

This is very very interesting to read! I was originally scheduled for delivery on the 5th. Then rescheduled to the 7th and that was cancelled as they found issues before delivery. Needed a new vin assigned. 8/13 was supposed to be delivery of new VIN. Got a call day before saying delivery needed to be delayed and no other information offered. No updates from my IDA other than just wait patiently. Repeated calls to MDR have been basically useless. Today I finally was able to reach someone who was able to pull up the account and let me know my car had paint issues when inspected on or around 8/15. No word on if the car is now in the shop or still in the Burbank holding lot. I am going to call daily for updates and when I get a free day will head down to MDR to get answers in person. This is taking way too long for delivery and this is the absolute worst car buying experience I've ever had and I've been straight ripped off before and that was better than this.

• Informative

Do you know if it was just black cars impacted? VIN range? Manufacture month?

This is very very interesting to read! I was originally scheduled for delivery on the 5th. Then rescheduled to the 7th and that was cancelled as they found issues before delivery. Needed a new vin assigned. 8/13 was supposed to be delivery of new VIN. Got a call day before saying delivery needed to be delayed and no other information offered. No updates from my IDA other than just wait patiently. Repeated calls to MDR have been basically useless. Today I finally was able to reach someone who was able to pull up the account and let me know my car had paint issues when inspected on or around 8/15. No word on if the car is now in the shop or still in the Burbank holding lot. I am going to call daily for updates and when I get a free day will head down to MDR to get answers in person. This is taking way too long for delivery and this is the absolute worst car buying experience I've ever had and I've been straight ripped off before and that was better than this.

I have read too many posts on these forums about cars going into a body shop just for them to find more stuff, then it becomes a never ending story. You have the right to tell them point blank that you're not interested in a repainted car (I told them I don't want one because it will affect resale value). If you can, go there in person, say you want a new VIN assigned for a new car that just came off the line, and expect a new VIN within the next 3-5 days. Insist that they email you the Monroney sticker, that will tell you the build date, if it's August, you should be good.

Do you know if it was just black cars impacted? VIN range? Manufacture month?

From the information I've gathered it affected most (not all) cars in the latest batch they received from Fremont, so cars build last week of July, and delivered to Burbank 1st week of August. VIN numbers don't really matter, Tesla sometimes assigns VINs 10,000 numbers apart even for cars built the same day/week. I read somewhere that in CA any damage exceeding 3% of the value of the car has to be disclosed.

I have read too many posts on these forums about cars going into a body shop just for them to find more stuff, then it becomes a never ending story. You have the right to tell them point blank that you're not interested in a repainted car (I told them I don't want one because it will affect resale value). If you can, go there in person, say you want a new VIN assigned for a new car that just came off the line, and expect a new VIN within the next 3-5 days. Insist that they email you the Monroney sticker, that will tell you the build date, if it's August, you should be good.

What is the status of getting your car? Have they provided you with an update?

Posted in the specific MDR forum, but thought I would post here as well:

So I had some movement yesterday. I decided to give MDR a call again and this time the rep on the phone asked me for my VIN instead of just my name (which is what they had previously used to look me up). Thankfully I had that info, so I shared it. He said "your car is ready to go into final QC inspection. Your ISA should be able to schedule a date for you." This of course caused me to get extremely excited so I immediately called my ISA. She didn't pick up, so after a couple of hours I decided to email her. Within about another hour she called me back (from a blocked #, not the usual 702 one she usually rang from) and we scheduled delivery for Aug 23rd (this Thursday). She also gave me like 4 time slots in the morning and 4 in the afternoon so it was pretty obvious that they aren't that slammed on the delivery floor. Maybe they're just slammed on transferring from the Burbank airpot lot to the delivery center? Idk.

• Informative

So I had some movement yesterday. I decided to give MDR a call again and this time the rep on the phone asked me for my VIN instead of just my name (which is what they had previously used to look me up). Thankfully I had that info, so I shared it. He said "your car is ready to go into final QC inspection. Your ISA should be able to schedule a date for you." This of course caused me to get extremely excited so I immediately called my ISA. She didn't pick up, so after a couple of hours I decided to email her. Within about another hour she called me back (from a blocked #, not the usual 702 one she usually rang from) and we scheduled delivery for Aug 23rd (this Thursday). She also gave me like 4 time slots in the morning and 4 in the afternoon so it was pretty obvious that they aren't that slammed on the delivery floor. Maybe they're just slammed on transferring from the Burbank airpot lot to the delivery center? Idk.

I was given 10, 12, 2, and 4 as delivery options but I’m guessing they group them. I would be surprised if they aren’t slammed.

Great news.. Gianni at MDR is trying to track mine down.. It was updated to “in transit” from Fremont which is strange as a delivery was scheduled over a week ago... He has been very helpful and I hope he can get my car inspected and delivered.. Keep us posted on how it goes Thursday..