Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation line change request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am writing to see if I can find someone that is interested in "trading spots in line" for the Model 3. They must have a spot that would be available very soon as mine isn't too far off either. I made my reservation in earlish July and as I'm writing this (January 24th 2018), it projects to my first possible time I could purchase the Model 3 (big battery rear wheel drive) is May-July. I cannot predict/forecast if these dates will hold from the delays. I'm not expecting to trade up for nothing, but I'm also not a fanatic and not doing it for anything crazy. I'm sure there's plenty of people who may not want the big battery rear wheel drive variant or may not be ready to purchase there's yet who could be open to this.

I am doing this because I was involved in a very serious car accident (sadly not everyone made it) and my car has been totaled. I definitely feel very blessed to be alive. While I'm dealing with some injuries it could have been worse. I had an old junker I hadn't used for about a year and luckily it started up when I tried it. I have been using that since, but it's not the most reliable automobile and due to some injuries sustained I find it uncomfortable and painful which I'm pretty confident would not be the case in a new automobile.

I do not know if Tesla would even allow this so it's hypothetical. I know they seem to be resistant to selling or giving away spots in line. This is a little different. I'm hoping that my story (easily verifiable plenty of news coverage on it) would make them open to this. If not, no harm. While I would like my next car to be a model 3, I am in a spot where I need to get a reliable car sooner than later, and if I get a different one before my reservation date, chances are I won't be getting a Model 3 at all.

Anyways, if you are open to this please feel free to send me a message and we can start a line of communication. There are some logistics and things that we'd need to figure out so I don't have all the answers right now.

p.s. I've read threads in forum before but never posted. Hoping this thread is ok but if it's not I apologize.

Oops double post thread. Was trying to make the paragraphs easier to read. I've never not been able to figure out how to edit my own post in a forum but its not seeming intuitively obvious to me at the moment.

I am writing to see if I can find someone that is interested in "trading spots in line" for the Model 3. They must have a spot that would be available very soon as mine isn't too far off either. I made my reservation in earlish July and as I'm writing this (January 24th 2018), it projects to my first possible time I could purchase the Model 3 (big battery rear wheel drive) is May-July. I cannot predict/forecast if these dates will hold from the delays. I'm not expecting to trade up for nothing, but I'm also not a fanatic and not doing it for anything crazy. I'm sure there's plenty of people who may not want the big battery rear wheel drive variant or may not be ready to purchase there's yet who could be open to this.

I am doing this because I was involved in a very serious car accident (sadly not everyone made it) and my car has been totaled. I definitely feel very blessed to be alive. While I'm dealing with some injuries it could have been worse. I had an old junker I hadn't used for about a year and luckily it started up when I tried it. I have been using that since, but it's not the most reliable automobile and due to some injuries sustained I find it uncomfortable and painful which I'm pretty confident would not be the case in a new automobile.

I do not know if Tesla would even allow this so it's hypothetical. I know they seem to be resistant to selling or giving away spots in line. This is a little different. I'm hoping that my story (easily verifiable plenty of news coverage on it) would make them open to this. If not, no harm. While I would like my next car to be a model 3, I am in a spot where I need to get a reliable car sooner than later, and if I get a different one before my reservation date, chances are I won't be getting a Model 3 at all.

Anyways, if you are open to this please feel free to send me a message and we can start a line of communication. There are some logistics and things that we'd need to figure out so I don't have all the answers right now.

p.s. I've read threads in forum before but never posted. Hoping this thread is ok but if it's not I apologize.
I got an early reservation that could in theory get the car to you in a few weeks, and I'd like to explore if we (me+you+Tesla) can work something out. I sent you a private message, please get in touch explore further.

It looks like we may be in the same city - I just configured and ordered today - the confirmation email says 4 week delivery. So even if you traded spots with someone who is able to configure now, will it enable you to get the car within the time you need it? Sounds like form your post, you're in need of a car right now.

To answer question or 2 I got via pm I would love to give more details, truly but discretion is necessary due to this being an ongoing investigation. Facts I could share are I was not cited during the accident. Another automobile involved was violating several traffic laws at the time of the accident. I have also been told that the driver was had some substances that are known to inhibit driving in his system at the time of the accident but this is not official. I have back/chest pain and while I while I'm not longer in screaming pain getting in and out of car, the healing seems to somewhat have plateau'd in terms of getting better during driving. I was hoping to heal to a point this would go away. The vibrations of the clunker are problematic.

Yes I agree someone doing this could be sacrificing $3750 so I would not ask anyone to do that whom planned to fully capitalize on that. I figure after the first I dont know 10,000 reservations which will have a higher than normal reservations filled, it'll level off a bit as not everyone was thinking $50,000+ vs $35,000. So I'm not sure what will happen but from information I'm getting I see it as this, (and again I read this from whatever post/article so some of this information may be incorrect or outdated) Lets say I am #270,000. 40% were US reservations. that would but me at 108,000. It looks like the 200,000 mark is likely to starting april. Maybe they have 20,000 delivered by then already. If they could do half of what they wanted to do 10K reservations a month (hoped to do 20K a month by Dec/Jan), that would be around 80K model 3 reservations filled within the full tax credit timeline. If I'm number 108K I'm feeling like I have a pretty solid shot since I'd imagine well over 50% of these are not going to be filled or deferred since there's no penalty for cancelling.

That said, some of this information may be incorect and I wouldnt be shocked to fall into the $3750 group. I am obviously looking for a solution sooner, would be great if it was a Tesla my first choice by far.

Hi Niki,

I’m glad that your recovery is progressing, albiet more slowly than you’d like. Since you mentioned the vibration of your clunker causing you pain while driving, you might want to do some reading about the Model 3’s suspension. Several posts here on TMC suggest that the ride is somewhere between firm and very firm, similar to a BMW. I figured I should -point this out so that you aren’t surprised by it if you end up with a Model 3 in the near future.

Best wishes!

PS: you will gain the ability to edit your posts after you have reached a certain threshold. I believe it’s something like 10 posts.

understand, I figured with the 18's it would be ok as it sounds like the 19 are a bit "firmer". So I guess I dont need the perfect suspension, when I ride in say a friend or family members somewhat new car I do alot better. I'm driving a 15 yr old car with a broken strut. I've been told I dont need to get it fixed but maybe in my case it would help. Car is just old though, due for the graveyard