Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Numbers: How to read where you are in the queue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla itself probably doesn't know how to decipher them yet, as in where you are in the big queue. They know where you live, when/where you reserved, if you're an owner, if you're a Tesla employee, etc. They will figure out the queue order later. Reservation number could just be random.

Reactions: Kalud and Sudre
Firstly, for your safety and the safety of your order, do not share your reservation number. As a group, from discussions yesterday, we're generally unsure that the RNs have any elements to them that suggest order. They seem to have been randomly generated and like exist in a queue separately on Tesla's backend.

I don't think they have any real meaning. I reserved two, in the same order, and my numbers have nothing to do with each other, beyond starting with the same 3 digits. I think they are randomly generated and attached to other metadata in their systems that only they know.

Reservation numbers have always been very random, and have nothing to do with sequence. They are used in communicating with Tesla about your reservation. They are different than reservation sequence numbers, which I don't expect them to have at all for the Model 3 (in the old days they would appear as two separate numbers).

For what it's worth, I put in 2 simultaneous reservations yesterday, and got RN1075XXXXX and RN1074XXXXX (differ by over 70,000) - I doubt you can read anything into what appear to be random numbers.

RN numbers mean nothing. Tesla will not be generating sequence numbers because of the difficulty of managing the geographic roll-out process. Your reservation has a timestamp, and that's what is used in conjunction with your geography for determining when you'll be asked to configure.

Tesla has never produced vehicles in reservation or even sequence number order.

When it comes time to configure, they'll segment first by geography, then pick a timestamp that represents a certain number of orders. They'll invite everyone within that window to configure and confirm. 7 days after confirmation, your order becomes locked in and is submitted for production scheduling to the factory.