Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Numbers: How to read where you are in the queue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla used to give us a Sequence Number.

If it stops giving us that, it should give us a Timestamp and Region in our e-mail confirmation as well as on "My Tesla" page.

Well, "region" is probably more "micro geography" and is probably more of a task of production scheduling - and they're not ready to define that in any hard way that a customer needs to know. If they tried to hand out regions and timestamps now, it just handcuffs them from different ways of redefining "region" to suit roll-out needs. You know when you placed your order, they don't need to tell you that. From there it's a matter of production scheduling based on their own needs. In fact, they may not even worry about geography at all... they may just invite 50,000 customers purely by timestamp to configure the car. Then in production scheduling they rearrange to suit their needs first with California, then move east.

I'd bet money that Tesla won't deliver every California car before starting to move east. Their initial release in California will be just enough to shake things out, then move east. This is especially true if it's winter - because the midwest and east coast are where Tesla gets its real-world winter testing done, and shaking things out there is going to be important for quality improvement. So anyone who's worried about the first 100,000 going to California before they even move east has nothing to worry about.

Trust me when I say that having a sequence number was more of a source of frustration than anything else. There are a handful of individuals (Ken, Bonnie, etc.) who could do a bit of bragging with it, but otherwise, it's frustrating. Just ask those folks who were given Model X VIN in the 1xx range and didn't get their cars until last month. When you receive the car, it'll all be worth it.

Last edited:
To FlasherZ's point about being handcuffed...

I think people are getting hung up (myself included) on trying to decipher the current RN number, but stop and think about it... their online entry system (database) will automatically file everyone in as they are entered globally (with a running sequential ID), they also know what store you were at, they have your home address, and they know if you have a Tesla already via your My Tesla account.

The RN number doesn't have to mean anything, just a relatively random number that gets assigned, post entry.

they also know what store you were at

I'm not so sure they have even worried about this. True, they could see which store a person was at based on the source IP address, but I didn't see anything that would indicate that they collected (or needed) that information. It's likely that they just didn't bother with that at all. Really, the only thing they need is the destination address, and they can make a decent approximation of the queue based on timezones there, rather than trying to keep a bunch of order-time information about an order. Sure, some will fit through the cracks -- such as the person who noted earlier that he was a Californian who placed his order in the store in Italy -- he's likely going to be close to the front of the queue for California in his particular class (employee, former customer, non-customer, etc.). But that's going to be a minimal corner case, and given several hundred thousand orders, it's not something they have to worry about.

-c

Reactions: SCW-Greg
As someone in the business of designing such stuff - there are many ways to design this. One is to make it completely random. Think of airline booking codes - completely random (IIRC).

Second way to do it would be to convey some kind of sequence or geography etc. Given all the complexities of priorities and ordering - I don't think Tesla would do that.

Having said this - I've seen all kinds of weird designs that don't follow simple basic principles. For eg. why are the numbers always starting with 1 ? So, apparently it is not completely random.

For those who are asking how would Tesla know where the order was booked from etc ... those would typically stored in different attributes in the database. So, given the reservation number they can lookup and figure out all the associated details.

Don't you already know when you reserved and where you live?

I do but does it?

How do I know there's no typo with the date and time on Tesla's side?

It's the same way with electronic voting machine.

I know what I vote for but does the electronic machine faithfully records what I voted for if I have no feed back of what it understood?

Having said this - I've seen all kinds of weird designs that don't follow simple basic principles. For eg. why are the numbers always starting with 1 ? So, apparently it is not completely random.

Our Model S: RN306xxx
Our Model X: RN895xxx
Our Model 3: RN107xxxxxx

RN numbers are used on all three models and are shared on the systems. The My Tesla "View Profile" link is the same, whether Model S/X/3.

But they didn't collect the destination address, they collected the billing address.

Perhaps they're making an assumption.

Many, if not most TMC participants tend to over-think what Tesla does. :) They don't have to get everything 100% perfect, and the pareto principle applies when they're trying to make this kinda stuff go fast.