Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[resolved] Backup Camera green screen only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting last weekend my backup camera stopped working. All I got was a green screen. I called Tesla remote support and the tech had me reboot the computer. That did not fix my problem. Monday I called to make an appointment at the local service center. On Tuesday I received a phone message around noon saying that a Firmware update was pushed to the car that they thought would fix the problem. I checked the message on the screen inside the car which told me the update would be installed after 2 AM. I chose the update now button and the update proceeded. Unfortunately it took about an hour to finalize the installation. I later checked the backup camera and it was functioning correctly. Hooray for remote repairs. The camera seemed to stop working after the update from last week.

I had the same issue late last year. One time it was green and another time it was purple. Two weeks ago they replaced my rear camera. I then had the problem last week and the backup camera displayed a yellow screen. I let them know but I haven't heard anything back yet.
Please let me know how they resolve it for you.

I had the same issue late last year. One time it was green and another time it was purple. Two weeks ago they replaced my rear camera. I then had the problem last week and the backup camera displayed a yellow screen. I let them know but I haven't heard anything back yet.
Pelease let me know how they resolve it for you.

I'm not sure if this was a permanent fix but they downloaded a firmware update on Tuesday Morning. That resolved m issue.
he current software on the car is
2018.14.2.a88808e

As of today, 6/5/18, our backup camera is still ditsy, screen froze half way into the garage and I almost hit the back wall.
Plus, we are again, finding either the front or rear passenger window half way down upon entering the car. In a way that's kind good because it use to be all the way down :)
4/19: We took the car to the Service Center to show them the back up camera screen and they said a new fix is coming based on a new SW update, and should fix it.
4/20: New update, 8.1 (18.14.2 a88808e), did not help
I have also left a 'Bug Report' via the voice button.

As of 6/10/18: We downloaded the firmware; 8.1 (18.219 75bdbc11). I must admit that we no longer are experiencing the various colored screens. We now have the 'Frozen Images'.
The BU camera will usually retain the last know back up frame and present that whenever you next place the car in reverse.
Since we pull out of the garage, I usually check the BU cameras function to verify it is working, whenever we start a drive. The camera always works upon the first back up, but when you next shift into drive, it keeps that last backup image. What you see the very next time you backup, is a frozen image from the last time you used the camera. I can reboot the 17" main screen and the camera starts back up ok. This makes me think it isn't a hardware issue, that and the fact the screen no longer is showing multi colors.
Each time I would leave the usual 'Bug Report' but to no avail.
This has been going on since 12/18/2017 and about three new firmwares,,,,,

Has there been any change on this? Surely, I'm not the only one having the frozen backup camera image issue?
SC says to wait for new firmware, well, that wasn't it!! This problem can be repeated by using the reverse gear selection.
Camera works correctly for the 1st use after a re-boot. Then fails the very next time you use the reverse gear selection.
I know, I know, the answer is never back up or I got it!!, don't look at the screen.
For what it's worth, I leave the 'Bug Report', each and every time and I have spoke with the local SC.
Guess I'll wait to take it back when the 3rd year inspection is due,,,,,