Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restarting Charging after power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, i would like to say that Tesla needs to do an update on the iOS app that sends out notifications when certain situations happen, not the least of which is an early interrupted charge.

We had a neighborhood power outage early this morning while I was asleep and so the charging of the MS stopped before completion. I didn't really think about it and only realized when I got into the car. The screen showed Charging Stopped and of course, I was not at the full charge level I wanted.

I pressed "start Charging" on the screen and expected the charging to re-start but nothing happened (tried multiple times). I then tried to start the charging from the app and still nothing. Finally, I disconnected the charge cable, reconnected it and the car immediately started to charge.

My question is... after interrupted charging, following a power outage, is it normal behavior to have to disconnect and reconnect the charging cable in order to start the car charging again? Why did the Start Charging button on the screen or the app not work?

I have had numerous power outages (most only a blip) but some sustained. I don't think my utility cares too much about momentary power outages :cursing:! The car has always resumed charging.

I have only had a couple since the charge timer has been present. But it has resumed charging in that situation also, but it was still within the 6 hour grace period of when charging should start.

Last edited:
I have had numerous power outages (most only a blip) but some sustained. I don't think my utility cares too much about momentary power outages :cursing:! The car has always resumed charging.

I have only had a couple since the charge timer has been present. But it has resumed charging in that situation also, but it was still within the 6 hour grace period of when charging should start.

I was on timed start but also within the 6 hour window (2 in fact) so not sure why it didnt start charging again on its own and I had to unplug and plug the charge cable. Maybe a glitch...

I had a similar experience charging at work yesterday. Somehow the J1772 power went out and the car never resumed charging (it had charged about 2 hours before the interruption). I checked the app and it indicated "not charging" and would not resume when I selected "start charging" on the app. Would be nice if the app would push a notification to my phone if charging is interrupted.

I had a similar experience charging at work yesterday. Somehow the J1772 power went out and the car never resumed charging (it had charged about 2 hours before the interruption). I checked the app and it indicated "not charging" and would not resume when I selected "start charging" on the app. Would be nice if the app would push a notification to my phone if charging is interrupted.

Amen to that! My Roadster app (3rd party) sends such notifications of interrupted charging along with the current state of charge when charging stopped.