Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to move out of HK?
No, the HK cars roam with EU SIM cards. The HK government allowed Left Hand Drive Tesla Roadsters under a special excemption. As a last resort, contact the Tillburg factory and ask them to provide you with a tax-free UK RHD Tesla, then bring it over. EVs have no emissions testing so try your luck with the compliance test by sticking bubble wrap over the monitor, once it passes, you have a HK-spec Internet-accessible Tesla albeit without warranty...

Read your email guys. Because Hong Kong's stupid regulations Tesla has to disable the web browser immediately

I don't have anything (yet), but it doesn't surprise me. From my reading if the legislation, the web browser crosses the (dumb, overly limited) line.

3 weeks into ownership, and I still have yet to use it. But, I do think it will be useful for web apps that wouldn't violate the legislation (just haven't had time to setup any).

I don't have anything (yet), but it doesn't surprise me. From my reading if the legislation, the web browser crosses the (dumb, overly limited) line.

3 weeks into ownership, and I still have yet to use it. But, I do think it will be useful for web apps that wouldn't violate the legislation (just haven't had time to setup any).

If the browser is disabled/hidden automatically when the car is moving, would be compliant with regulation?

Would someone give me a pointer of reference to the language of such ordinance ?

From earlier in this thread:

CAP 374A regulation 37

Cap 374A reg 37 Visual display units (Road Traffic (Construction and Maintenance of Vehicles) Regulations; ROAD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE)

(1)No person shall install or cause to be installed in or on a motor vehicle and no motor vehicle shall have installed therein or thereon a visual display unit other than a visual display unit that may be installed under paragraph (2)- (L.N. 1 of 2000)
(a)at any point forward of the driver's seat;
(b)so that the screen thereof is partly or wholly, and whether directly or in any reflection, visible to the driver whilst in the driving seat; or
(c)so that the controls thereof, other than the sound volume control and the main switch, are within reach of the driver whilst in the driving seat.

(2)Subject to paragraph (3), a visual display unit that is designed to give the driver-
(a)information about the current state of the vehicle or its equipment;
(b)the current closed-circuit view of any part of the vehicle or the area surrounding the vehicle;
(c)information about the current location of the vehicle; or
(d)any other information which is only for the purpose of navigating the vehicle,
may be installed in or on a motor vehicle. (L.N. 1 of 2000)

(3)A visual display unit which enables the display of-
(a)any television programme within the meaning of section 2(1) of the Broadcasting Ordinance (Cap 562); or (48 of 2000 s. 44)
(b)any stored visual images except for the purposes of paragraph (2)(d),
may not be installed under paragraph (2) at a point forward of the driver's seat as referred to in paragraph (1)(a) or in the manner referred to in paragraph (1)(b) or (c). (L.N. 1 of 2000)

P.S. To point out how ludicrous this is: every taxi I have ever seen in HK has a phone mount that violates the above legislation. A smartphone in front of and within reach of the driver violates all the above. They also have legislation specifically targeting smartphones whereby you are not allowed to 'touch' such a phone while in control of the vehicle.

Where are the prosecutions for this?

Markwj, Thanks for the included text. I totally agree with you. I guess all I can do, as a citizen, is to write a letter to the Legislators requesting that this regulation should be re-evaluated, perhaps suggesting that use of boarding function (i.e. web browsing) be permitted if the vehicle is not in motion.

Are they really going to respond to what the public want? They don't have to react at all given that democracy has now been officially rejected!!
I don't know but I think writing a letter would tell them there is a concern. Markwj makes a good point on the taxi drivers. IMHO, I think the government would have better control of allowing web browsing on a "permanently vehicle mounted display" when the vehicle is not in motion. It is because the auto manufacturer (Tesla in this case), have control over enable/disable the function when the vehicle is in motion.

So long as the browser could only display information about the vehicle, it's location, or navigation, this is not an issue. The problem is not the browser, more that it can be used to display information.

IMHO, the best solution is for tesla to allow the configuration of websites as a) unrestricted, b) only while parked, or c) blocked. Then, allow the owner to change the list on a per-site basis. That solves the problem in HK, as well as other countries with similar restrictions. It also provides for a safer driving experience for all.

Changing the law would take years.