Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following map information I received from Tesla HK today:
There will be Google Maps in our cars, but it's only a map display (including traffic), but no routing capability.
For routing the hard drive based navigation software needs to be run.

1. Why would the routing be different from the display?

2. A Tesla HK employee admitted to me that they don't know any more than we do. They often receive conflicting information from HQ. I would take it with a grain of salt. Has anyone heard recently from Tesla US on this issue?

That is a pretty pathetic compromise if true. They have to honor their commitment to have Google Maps with traffic as they sold the car with it. Then they put in alternative software. Does it find buildings in the database? I use this function all the time. "Navigate me to the Princess Building" etc. If it doesn't its a waste of time. I wonder if any HK based staff have any say in this?

Last edited:
This sounds to be a bit like the information I got before. Viewing Google Maps, but not routing or turn by turn Google Maps. For routing and turn by turn, need to use the built in Map Software.

That is pretty much the way it is in the U.S. too. The map on the large screen is a Google map display but the turn-by-turn and navigation is on the smaller dash display and its data comes from Navigon software, not Google Maps.

That is pretty much the way it is in the U.S. too. The map on the large screen is a Google map display but the turn-by-turn and navigation is on the smaller dash display and its data comes from Navigon software, not Google Maps.

That's interesting to know.

Navigon for mobile devices offer some levels of traffic information - does the Model S know about current traffic and accidents as well?

That's interesting to know.

Navigon for mobile devices offer some levels of traffic information - does the Model S know about current traffic and accidents as well?

The Google Maps display on the large screen shows the red/yellow/green lines to indicate traffic speed. It does not have accident info, and I don't think this info is used in routing (to give you a less congested route, for instance).

BTW, so could the new owners please confirm:

Web browser is enabled?
Google Maps in the center touchscreen?
No turn by turn navigation on the dashboard (yet)?
Can we get directions on the center touchscreen via Google Maps then?

Thanks!

Moderator's Note: 2014/08/13 Tesla is now delivering Model S in Hong Kong with Internet Browser enabled. The first post of this thread has been updated with this moderator's note to avoid confusion.

I heard the following:

... edited the post for the common good for all Model S owners.

As much as I like this screen and what it can, it's a "heads down" distraction. Hopefully some future car will have all the information on a heads-up display instead, so you can look at the road at the same time.

Last edited:
I heard the following: The cars were approved by TD. Then the software update magically "fixed" the screens and now ... they just work. I wonder how long that's gonna last. Maybe until someone playing tictactoe or something, doesn't pay attention to the road and slams into something or someone. As much as I like this screen and what it can, it's a "heads down" distraction. Hopefully some future car will have all the information on a heads-up display instead, so you can look at the road at the same time.

Shhhh....

The web browser, for me, is a way to run apps presenting information about the car and navigation (Recargo, etc).

As much as I like this screen and what it can, it's a "heads down" distraction.
Delivery ~mid Sep 2014
You should wait for delivery and a few weeks of driving before drawing such conclusions.
The screen is just a picture and is a disctraction exactly as much as you as a driver allows it to be. Same with car stereo, AC controls, cigarette lighter, tiny navigation devices etc.

Delivery ~mid Sep 2014
You should wait for delivery and a few weeks of driving before drawing such conclusions.
The screen is just a picture and is a disctraction exactly as much as you as a driver allows it to be. Same with car stereo, AC controls, cigarette lighter, tiny navigation devices etc.

I have driven and ridden the car many times so far, enough to know about the screen and its dangers.

I am aware of the danger, you are aware of the danger. But will every owner and driver of this car be aware of how easily it is to be distracted?

I absolutely love the car, I am just pointing out the inevitable. You see taxi drivers here playing mahjong and other games, while they are driving. With YOU. And often, they have a line of 10 mobile phones they are talking and texting on, non-stop (well, some of them). Those things make me concerned about the traps there are, and how easily it is to fall into them, if you are not aware of them.

Yes, people have been killed by the driver lighting a cigarette, picking up something from the floor, having a bee in the car and so on. There are many ways to get distracted and the large screen is another one. Fortunately, a lot of the functions are available from the steering wheel, and on the small screen around the speedometer and so on.

My roadster has a 7" display. Compared to the Model S 17", I feel the roadster's 7" is more distracting. Maybe because it is more in the line-of-sight, or perhaps because the roadster lacks steering wheel controls.

I've only been driving the Model S for 28 hours, and so far haven't touched it at all while driving - just too overwhelmed by everything else going on. Perhaps as I get more used to the car I will allow myself to be distracted more.

With the design of the car, I think it would be pretty hard to call up a web page (typing the URL), for example, while driving.