Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After meeting with TD's Assistant Commissioner/Administration and Licensing Mr Reginald Chan and his colleagues, we were explicitly told that if browser is only enabled at Park, then they will seriously consider allowing it, but first, Tesla will have to produce this.
Facebook

Nice, thanks lx3h

Should not be hard for Tesla to produce right?

Can we start a petition somewhere so we make Tesla make this happen?

We have some missing features compared to other countries and we have made some noise in the past (via Legco Councillor Mr Mok, meeting with TD and Ombudsman)

I remember we were told by TD that should Tesla HK make a formal application for some features, they will consider it. In other words, Tesla HK hasn't submitted the features for approval at all.

Shall we have a recap of what features are missing and any follow up action with different parties? So we can have a clear picture of what can be done to "unlock" the (currently) full potential of our cars
  1. Summon - I have no idea
  2. Web browser - ??someone mentioned TD claimed Tesla HK has not submitted it for approval? Shall we ask Tesla HK to do so?
  3. Calendar - opinions expressed via Legco Councillor Mr Mok, meeting with TD and Ombudsman, we can only wait
  4. Version 8.0 - hopefully TD review in progress

I wouldn't believe the TD in anything they tell us. This is political. I guarantee there is a lot more going on here than merely software for cars.
Many of these features that have been banned ( in the infinite wisdom of those who manage 2000km of roads vs 6,500,000km in the US) are done on the whim of officials. There is little legal basis for it.

Reactions: FequalsMA
We HAVE to get together to campaign for the Transport Department to adapt their regulations to acommodate for next-gen (level 4 and 5) autonomy now. Just look at what's coming:

Tesla-Autonomous-Options.jpg

Reactions: markwj
Look at this, I am sure our Calendar won't come back

The Ombudsman published a report on "Direct Investigation into Government Regulation of Special Transport Services to Persons with Mobility Difficulties" which criticizes the TD for not doing enough on special transport services yesterday
http://ofomb.ombudsman.hk/abc/files/IR360_full_TC-9_3_2017.pdf

As usual, the Ombudsman did an in-depth investigation and listed a lot of data to support their conclusion. Yet, TD told everyone in their press release that the Ombudsman said "it (TD) was not proactive in assisting in enhancement of the services and improvement was not made until the Office of the Ombudsman stepped in to investigate" and so TD "expressed disagreement and disappointment with the above comments from the Ombudsman" and went on listing all the continued improvements they made
TD's response to Ombudsman's direct investigation report

However, the Ombudsman did not say so:
"The DI Report has not stated that "improvement was not made until the Office of the Ombudsman stepped in to investigate". The TD's comment is therefore incorrect."
"As a matter of fact, the DI Report details in its Chapter 4 the actions that had been taken by the TD over the years in monitoring the performance of Rehabus."
Office of The Ombudsman issues clarification concerning response to Direct Investigation Report

In the govt, we used to respect what the Ombudsman says and follow their recommendation as far as possible. In this case, the Ombudsman backup their claims with lots of data and the only thing TD does is lie about the report and tries to shift everyone's focus to something else........ As far as I remember, this is the first ever time when a govt department fires back at the Ombudsman in an unfriendly and dishonest way. I am pretty sure our complaint to the Ombudsman about the irrational ban on our Calendar will not result in any changes in TD even if the Ombudsman stands on our side...