Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

retrofit for heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get confused about the "winter package", just from not understanding the history of packages.

If I order a new MS today, I can order the PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) and it includes:
"Sub-Zero Weather Package included as standard featuring heated seats for every passenger, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters."

Is this what you guys are talking about.
I'm assuming that there is not special battery heating necessary for the "sub zero" weather package...

I get confused about the "winter package", just from not understanding the history of packages.

If I order a new MS today, I can order the PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) and it includes:
"Sub-Zero Weather Package included as standard featuring heated seats for every passenger, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters."

Is this what you guys are talking about.
I'm assuming that there is not special battery heating necessary for the "sub zero" weather package...
correct.

Anyone find out more about this? I have a 2014 P85 with cold weather package and the Tesla shop I spoke with said they could not do it. How can you find out when your Tesla was built?
call tesla and give them your vin, they should be able to verify. its expensive. Ive since upgraded to a new tesla, and i have the heated steering wheel option. While cool (hot?) to have, its definitely not worth the crazy expense to upgrade. Ive only used it once, the preheating the cabin is much more convenient/effective. Hope that helps.

I just got my hands on a heated steering wheel. It has a four pin connector with two red wire and two black wires with a stripe. Oddly enough, there is no continuity between the red wires and the black wires. The continuity is between the two red wires. I think there is about 2.9 ohms of resistance. Connecting a 18v power source to the two red lines caused the steering wheel to warm up. If you trace the black wires, they go to two VERY think gauge black wires, but I am not sure what they do.
I had planned on simply running wires to a 12v source with a physical switch to control the heat.
I removed the airbag and controls from my current steering wheel, and the problem is that there is no space to run additional wires through the steering column.
There is are two connectors on the steering column, which a yellow one that connects to the airbag and a brown one that presumably are for the steering wheel buttons. The airbag connector is a 6 pin connector that uses only 4 pins. The brown connector is also a 6 pin connector with only 4 pins. The sockets for the connectors in the steering column have four blades for the yellow airbag connector, and 5 pins for the brown control connector.
I am thinking i would rather NOT run the heating power wires next to the airbag connector, so I am thinking to run the power line through the socket for the brown control connector. Clearly there is power that runs through this connector, but I doubt the wires could handle the current for the steering wheel heater. A youtube video indicates that the steering wheel heater uses about 95 watts, which is about 8 amps.
I have examined photos of the steering column "clocks" from the newer and older model S, which show that the newer columns have two extra pins in the bottom, (which could support the heated steering wheel function. But my understanding is that to use the new column, you may have to reprogram the car to recognize my steering wheel buttons.
(as per a post here:
Hey guys. I just pulled this off. You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.)
So far, I have only spent about $350 for steering wheel... hopefully someone wants my old steering wheel which is in great condition!

I just got my hands on a heated steering wheel. It has a four pin connector with two red wire and two black wires with a stripe. Oddly enough, there is no continuity between the red wires and the black wires. The continuity is between the two red wires. I think there is about 2.9 ohms of resistance. Connecting a 18v power source to the two red lines caused the steering wheel to warm up. If you trace the black wires, they go to two VERY think gauge black wires, but I am not sure what they do.
I had planned on simply running wires to a 12v source with a physical switch to control the heat.
I removed the airbag and controls from my current steering wheel, and the problem is that there is no space to run additional wires through the steering column.
There is are two connectors on the steering column, which a yellow one that connects to the airbag and a brown one that presumably are for the steering wheel buttons. The airbag connector is a 6 pin connector that uses only 4 pins. The brown connector is also a 6 pin connector with only 4 pins. The sockets for the connectors in the steering column have four blades for the yellow airbag connector, and 5 pins for the brown control connector.
I am thinking i would rather NOT run the heating power wires next to the airbag connector, so I am thinking to run the power line through the socket for the brown control connector. Clearly there is power that runs through this connector, but I doubt the wires could handle the current for the steering wheel heater. A youtube video indicates that the steering wheel heater uses about 95 watts, which is about 8 amps.
I have examined photos of the steering column "clocks" from the newer and older model S, which show that the newer columns have two extra pins in the bottom, (which could support the heated steering wheel function. But my understanding is that to use the new column, you may have to reprogram the car to recognize my steering wheel buttons.
(as per a post here:
Hey guys. I just pulled this off. You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.)
So far, I have only spent about $350 for steering wheel... hopefully someone wants my old steering wheel which is in great condition!

Hey Dave,

What year/model is your MS? I was also interested in doing this but thought the biggest issue would be getting Tesla to programming it 'on' as that screen also shows the rear seats and windshield heater element. Was hoping there was external hardware/software to turn certain features on and off (like Ross-Tech VCDS for VW brands) but was told there was no such thing, so I gave up :-(

I have an early 2014, pre autopilot original reversed stalk model s. I took off the steering wheel and took look at the steering column clock... And boy does it look complicated. I know the two extra pins on the newer stalks must be able to carry the power for the steering wheel heat. I just don't know if I can run that much current over any of the existing wires.... I almost want to buy an extra steering column just to see...

Attachments

• DSC_2031.JPG
    DSC_2031.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_2027.JPG
    DSC_2027.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_2030.JPG
    DSC_2030.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_2029.JPG
    DSC_2029.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_2026.JPG
    DSC_2026.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Fiddler
If you look at the pictures, the wires for the controls roll and unroll when you turn the wheel.. This is where running additional wires becomes a problem. They would have to roll and unroll along with the other wire tapes..

Learning more about the stock heated steering wheel. It comes with heating controller which explains the extra set of thin wires to the steering wheel. Those most go to some sort of thermostat. I found a picture of the control unit which indicates it's manufactured be gentherm. It probably is a relay controlled by the temperature circuit to prevent the steering wheel from getting too hot. I am not sure it's needed, but unfortunately my heart's wheel came without the controller...

If my 2014 MS was built in November of 2014 (with subzero winter package) do you think that I have the proper wiring for plug and play steering wheel if I get one off of ebay? I know I'll have to get it activated at SC once installed.