Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget myQ subscriptions. If you have a myQ garage door opener and other smarthome devices like bulbs, do some research and install home assistant on a spare laptop to run a home automation server. You can then link your Tesla and myQ garage door to the home assistant and make it open the garage door automatically when your phone or Tesla enters a geofenced location. Additionally you can automatically turn on and off your lights in your home or set your thermostat to away mode.

Forget myQ subscriptions. If you have a myQ garage door opener and other smarthome devices like bulbs, do some research and install home assistant on a spare laptop to run a home automation server. You can then link your Tesla and myQ garage door to the home assistant and make it open the garage door automatically when your phone or Tesla enters a geofenced location. Additionally you can automatically turn on and off your lights in your home or set your thermostat to away mode.
Sounds complicated—like some raspberry pie BS. No offense! Am I incorrect?

Reactions: evannole
Sounds complicated—like some raspberry pie BS. No offense! Am I incorrect?
Only complicated if you have no experience with computers. There are plenty of guides and you can install the self contained HAOS on the raspi or spare laptop to handle a lot of the complexity.

In my opinion it's worth the complication since all my smart home devices work with home assistant and I don't have to mess with Google home, homekit, Alexa and a bunch of other smart home apps, everything just works with home assistant so I have one point of access. Since it's all managed by me, I don't have to worry about some cloud service going out of business or pay subscription fees for things as simple as opening my garage door from my car.

Only complicated if you have no experience with computers. There are plenty of guides and you can install the self contained HAOS on the raspi or spare laptop to handle a lot of the complexity.

In my opinion it's worth the complication since all my smart home devices work with home assistant and I don't have to mess with Google home, homekit, Alexa and a bunch of other smart home apps, everything just works with home assistant so I have one point of access. Since it's all managed by me, I don't have to worry about some cloud service going out of business or pay subscription fees for things as simple as opening my garage door from my car.
Hmmmm 🤔
So—curious…with this system, who’s always listening?
e.g. Alexa is always listening; so is “Hey, Siri” and “Apple Home”; as is “Hey, Google”.
This is the entire reason I refuse to get a home automation system. I’ll settle with having Siri listening when I tell it to listen (when I push the button)—thank you very much! 🤫

Hmmmm 🤔
So—curious…with this system, who’s always listening?
e.g. Alexa is always listening; so is “Hey, Siri” and “Apple Home”; as is “Hey, Google”.
This is the entire reason I refuse to get a home automation system. I’ll settle with having Siri listening when I tell it to listen (when I push the button)—thank you very much! 🤫
That's the big advantage of a home assistant system. You keep full control over your data. You can still integrate devices from other smart home ecosystems into your home assistant setup, but if you want a fully locally controlled system you can integrate zwave/ZigBee switches/lights into your home assistant easily and setup scenes, and automations through home assistant instead of through a cloud enabled app. All the logic and location tracking happens locally on your home assistant server and you can make it externally accessible by opening a port for it on your router and using a service like duckDNS to give it a URL. Home assistant already has a login page so you can secure things if you make your instant accessible externally.

I have my instance accessible from outside my home network and I have integrated a whole lot of smart home ecosystems into my home assistant like Nest, zwave, myQ, kasa, Tesla, wiz. And there are a whole lot of others you can add. It's a real rabbit hole once you get started but it's definitely the best move if you want to setup a smarthome that you have full control over.

I had to disable the myQ on my GD opener as it kept opening by itself, This is a 15 yr. old jackshaft style opener though, I was sent newer style compatible wall buttons 3 times an all of them would eventually fail (sometimes months and sometimes days) with a buzzing sound, then we would come home to an open garage door on occasion, read about it and it seems it was a common problem, went back to standard wall button but I miss myQ, wondering if this happened to anyone else?

That's the big advantage of a home assistant system. You keep full control over your data. You can still integrate devices from other smart home ecosystems into your home assistant setup, but if you want a fully locally controlled system you can integrate zwave/ZigBee switches/lights into your home assistant easily and setup scenes, and automations through home assistant instead of through a cloud enabled app. All the logic and location tracking happens locally on your home assistant server and you can make it externally accessible by opening a port for it on your router and using a service like duckDNS to give it a URL. Home assistant already has a login page so you can secure things if you make your instant accessible externally.

I have my instance accessible from outside my home network and I have integrated a whole lot of smart home ecosystems into my home assistant like Nest, zwave, myQ, kasa, Tesla, wiz. And there are a whole lot of others you can add. It's a real rabbit hole once you get started but it's definitely the best move if you want to setup a smarthome that you have full control over.
Okay—now you’ve motivated me to learn how to do this. Sounds like a PC would be needed to use as a server, rather than MacOS or iOS, yeah???

I’m guessing it’s not possible to connect any of those smart devices (nest; MyQ; etc.) to WiFi in order to make this work, correct? Meaning, me using this to have local control does not preclude Google from capturing my nest data or preclude Chamberlain from capturing my MyQ data, correct? Or, are you saying that this method involves me creating a local WiFi network that is NOT connected to the internet? (Sort of like when setting up a TESLA Wall Connector, yeah???)

Okay—now you’ve motivated me to learn how to do this. Sounds like a PC would be needed to use as a server, rather than MacOS or iOS, yeah???

I’m guessing it’s not possible to connect any of those smart devices (nest; MyQ; etc.) to WiFi in order to make this work, correct? Meaning, me using this to have local control does not preclude Google from capturing my nest data or preclude Chamberlain from capturing my MyQ data, correct? Or, are you saying that this method involves me creating a local WiFi network that is NOT connected to the internet? (Sort of like when setting up a TESLA Wall Connector, yeah???)
You can still keep everything connected to WiFi. For cases like myQ they will still need to be connected to the Internet as the Home assistant integration talks with the myQ API to send and receive commands. I run two WiFi routers in my setup, I have my main router which all my computers and secure devices connect to, and then I have a secondary router hooked up to the main router and all my smart home devices are assigned to that router and my home assistant server runs on that router. I do this Incase there is a security breach with any of the smart home devices (since they still talk to their respective APIs other than zwave/ZigBee). This allows my secure network talk down to my home assistant network and it allows me to forward external access requests to the secondary router which then forwards it to my home assistant server. Reduces the possibility of anyone from the outside being able to have access to my secure computers. It's probably overkill, but I like the piece of mind especially when you have something externally accessible.

There are some devices that can be completely controlled locally like ZigBee, zwave, TP-Link kasa and some tuya devices. Home assistant let's you aggregate everything into one easy to access, control and secure panel.

You will need a raspberry pi or a spare computer to run the home assistant server, it runs on Linux. You can installed the Home Assistant Operating System (HAOS) on any spare computer and it will handle most the complication.

See that link to see what all you can do with it, they have a demo on their site.

The installation instructions are below:

Reactions: THEbuz
You can still keep everything connected to WiFi. For cases like myQ they will still need to be connected to the Internet as the Home assistant integration talks with the myQ API to send and receive commands. I run two WiFi routers in my setup, I have my main router which all my computers and secure devices connect to, and then I have a secondary router hooked up to the main router and all my smart home devices are assigned to that router and my home assistant server runs on that router. I do this Incase there is a security breach with any of the smart home devices (since they still talk to their respective APIs other than zwave/ZigBee). This allows my secure network talk down to my home assistant network and it allows me to forward external access requests to the secondary router which then forwards it to my home assistant server. Reduces the possibility of anyone from the outside being able to have access to my secure computers. It's probably overkill, but I like the piece of mind especially when you have something externally accessible.

There are some devices that can be completely controlled locally like ZigBee, zwave, TP-Link kasa and some tuya devices. Home assistant let's you aggregate everything into one easy to access, control and secure panel.

You will need a raspberry pi or a spare computer to run the home assistant server, it runs on Linux. You can installed the Home Assistant Operating System (HAOS) on any spare computer and it will handle most the complication.

See that link to see what all you can do with it, they have a demo on their site.

The installation instructions are below:
Thanks!

20 years ago I would have been all over this. Now I’m spoiled and just want it to work without having to manage on-prem infrastructure. 😂

20 years ago I would have been all over this. Now I’m spoiled and just want it to work without having to manage on-prem infrastructure. 😂
Yeah it's a tradeoff between managing your infrastructure or paying for a service and having it harvest your data.

Though, there isn't much to manage, I never really have to touch my home assistant instance, mostly just have to update my DuckDns IP whenever my ISP is doing maintenance and I get assigned a new public IP.

Yeah it's a tradeoff between managing your infrastructure or paying for a service and having it harvest your data.

Though, there isn't much to manage, I never really have to touch my home assistant instance, mostly just have to update my DuckDns IP whenever my ISP is doing maintenance and I get assigned a new public IP.
Many routers now have the ability to manage dynamic dns for you. One less thing to worry about.

Reactions: zoppp