Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joboo7777

Supporting Member
Dec 4, 2022
McKinney, TX
I recently ordered the Homelink Hardware and scheduled a service appointment for next week to be installed in my 2023 Model 3 LR. I also have a MYQ door opening and use the MyQ app quite a bit. Would like some advice on whether I should return the Homelink hardware in favor of MyQ integration. The biggest benefit I see with MyQ is I would think the integration would allow for features like summon to confirm whether the garage door is open or closed preventing potential damage to the car. Any thoughts?

Thanks
John

They posted the preliminary annual subscription fees for Tesla integration on the MyQ website the other day so it's not one/done. I think $45/year and up you go. With Homelink, at least you can open the garage door if the internet craps out or the myQ goes out of business. ;)
$45/year to send a few internet commands from the car to MyQ is a rip-off.

$45/year to send a few internet commands from the car to MyQ is a rip-off.
Completely agree. However the way I look at it is it’s a wash. I just paid $300 for homelink. I’ll probably own the car for 4-5 years and I’m most likely not going to uninstall and take the Homelink device and install on my next Tesla. For my particular use case which is a single garage door I’m wondering if MyQ integration may be a more capable solution.

Completely agree. However the way I look at it is it’s a wash. I just paid $300 for homelink. I’ll probably own the car for 4-5 years and I’m most likely not going to uninstall and take the Homelink device and install on my next Tesla. For my particular use case which is a single garage door I’m wondering if MyQ integration may be a more capable solution.
If it's anything like opening the garage on the phone, I'd be annoyed at waiting every single day for the garage to respond compared to the instant homelink

MyQ purchase price is only $19 from Amazon, so, if you want the features it provides then it's a really cheap solution. It's basically a garage door remote control with a WiFi interface and very simple to install. It will work independently from Homelink, so you could certainly have both and just not connect your Tesla to MyQ. Using MyQ with your phone does not cost anything beyond the purchase price.

While it is a subscription, the 10 year plan is $299 and can go with your new car as you move cars in those 10 years. Homelink is $350 per car but lasts the cars whole life.

If myQ is as easy as homelink, it almost makes sense to use myQ over the course of 10 years and 2 cars?

But if you’re controlling things other than myQ garage doors, then homelink is the way to go if you want a consolidated set up. You can also do myQ+extra clickers for other stuff.

If you happen to be a 2 or more tesla household, it seems one myQ subscription can work with all cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: slvervper99
While it is a subscription, the 10 year plan is $299 and can go with your new car as you move cars in those 10 years. Homelink is $350 per car but lasts the cars whole life.

If myQ is as easy as homelink, it almost makes sense to use myQ over the course of 10 years and 2 cars?

But if you’re controlling things other than myQ garage doors, then homelink is the way to go if you want a consolidated set up. You can also do myQ+extra clickers for other stuff.

If you happen to be a 2 or more tesla household, it seems one myQ subscription can work with all cars.

Yea this is what I’m thinking well the only downside I see is you are stuck with Chamberlain garage door openers for the life of the car. Which I don’t see them going out of business in 4-5 years. These guys have been around longer than Tesla. I Koke many people have had performance issues with MyQ. I have not experienced those and we open the garage door with the app quit a bit. Honestly I’m surprised Tesla has provided this integration as it will cut in to their HomeLink revenue. Which leads me to believe there probably is some truth to Tesla dictating the price of the subscription. I’m sure they are getting piece of it.

Chamberlain is out of their mind. This is after they already discontinued their previous premium $10/year subscription, presumably because it was nearly worthless, now they bring it back for a single integration at three to four-and-a-half times the cost??

Just use the literally free app or physical remote, or if you're that tempted over automation purchase the Homelink modules off eBay at half the Tesla Store cost, install and activate them yourself now that it is possible, and even sell them off again later when you sell the car.