Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return it? or Attempt Service? (Update: Tesla resolved issue)

What say you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my MSM/blk P3D+ on 8/15... on 8/17 we had a heavy rain... I got in the car about an hour later to find this.

Speaker over front passenger window...

okb24wAkFFOFaWo2g9J4XB10lESp0ykdYJwo3nQDtCMnetmGe8511hLbR28u-oab84hQOPTN6SIv66sDIIiqnuSnaSH1NA7phersYo7k87olvw-s3nBhR_HIU-ZlzceD5wjZgwBXEIsU7XWHm44KUVRVIaxYUAD9mhZSwFuOK2FIv_msuvqRkymhoLzMPqSIMm2Rk0p34T7EUcF69gDYPrO4Z450M3ddubB82fUuyIDj4bP3eiw744mkdC0f1J0DIUtcy_L789QBkl9bANDzkhy83QLKIa-LdClRCbAEk_gB41yQWq8fQnoZDnWeuGomyTnpSq1JmurzqiE7GFotrJkM1r9JHnIF574CSS5O61JPURGurp9x8G_5KZnTS_CPNiFDGWlphVzMOtI8eX6iRGg1rhI0O8jWr-t_Z98yml54h_dSzQ7AqhEDK2MRkVcrzZ7IPgMqSMUskFYHoLOsANq5i-VCv7gPXchHOzW46hVdaHuTgKEmtEAnr-2gbwJ_lFc2lHs7LTIHOtc6Un6_orM0vj6ZWVemv0_pMbTT5GHPob_zcXxOF0GNVBtwSY0p4LGHsU9JUijDvB1IOcgvzYfy4PajCyPZspBvC0czlsRaR2-cN1ubxR2BzU973_AFDrsxQ-Uuz9NkjAtzjERDSqtNZfJdct3mYbOrcWLCbDyhLlHRNOG5ddie97fQ9f02SpHxAseK-TIwcerMiO_I-Dlkug=w903-h1204-no

Immediately scheduled a mobile service appt for 9/4. Dried it up and it seemed fine. I got curious, wanted to see if I could reproduce it. Set the hose on the roof and let it run for a full minute or so, flooding the roof over the front passenger corner of the roof glass and windshield... it did not return. Left the appt scheduled, figured I'd have them look at my picture and tell me what the deal is.

Well, today, torrential rain again while I'm at work. 2 hours later, I'm in the car... it's back.

ouiree5LNZ1B3HT2mNwZ34wj1qBTP7ggCUeoWZPSMDz96K-g3kx6ASs-6D_3m2BxctK1-Z0W9M5QhgJZRWlXmQZhjvro8np0vpxKuJIzEJsXKWRQJXyqoWjMpYFxl-hAczQRz9dXc2Hnj4Nys5C6tO4cdB-w_jWVTppO9isACDFERArmOivQGGUfBlczJFBz_PWYE8ChxkCpcbQ1Uy8PPbi4CAdMfpoMD3QDvjL3m3K3E9Te3CGwR7exWCAHBkRS8adDJQ-fOKAJLFWQwhDDnncieEDv8Z-wIi9-EJOeCjV7aTUL6AsSmp53JCYuSKf9xbZGwMe5RUwlQYLOUUis2PSbL_UK-zRNpgppOG9ee8A8m9AnbGqzRnBdy4dv427oFKtO7FvzBeAcmE7RI48k3SuuOw-Anq4iDE8eOeE8offUr5LknuCJlxk2r-BPmUzfSdX52ZqlXQH98cJs60WEBKd46U0nkkpSRtFQcFWUhUXHgfFMn9JbtAYySyBuJn88Sw_b8H3Zfos2STUf6IteCMkGl0Nh0uvk78dCm8A2xA3qtvDpgsc9_R9TY2qvBLHpeFWfvm51_1zaKimOrhABfDZZL52lbNIWBC4JcmJ346CQR2OmJkDwm3ezGhXVanqkVefDwI-c4Rw-zmkkaf84LXFgfemOHwWbRz6gf387NdlNMQr4KQjcP9QhB6XfAkImYOf3C0DMNK-gSm0ebnkjSzbo4A=w903-h1204-no

Harder to see, but it's wet... I soaked it up with some paper towels... WTF.

I'll be within a few miles of the Indy service center tomorrow afternoon - I'm debating just showing up.

What say you, TMC? Do we think this can be addressed? Or should I try to return this car? Tomorrow is day 7.

Took delivery of my MSM/blk P3D+ on 8/15... on 8/17 we had a heavy rain... I got in the car about an hour later to find this.

Speaker over front passenger window...
[...]
Well, today, torrential rain again while I'm at work. 2 hours later, I'm in the car... it's back.

Harder to see, but it's wet... I soaked it up with some paper towels... WTF.

I'll be within a few miles of the Indy service center tomorrow afternoon - I'm debating just showing up.

What say you, TMC? Do we think this can be addressed? Or should I try to return this car? Tomorrow is day 7.

Definitely return it, while you can!

This is definitely a leak at either the edge of the windshield, or the roof. One or the other wasn't glued properly.
There is NO WAY Tesla will fix it before your 7-day return window runs out, and if they don't, you will be chasing it forever.

In the meantime, the headliner will start sagging, mold will grow, and you will start hating life.

If Tesla's post-sale customer service had stellar reputation, we might have something to ponder. But given how hard they suck, and how little they care, definitely try to return the car while you still can!

HTH,
a

This is definitely a leak at either the edge of the windshield, or the roof. One or the other wasn't glued properly.
There is NO WAY Tesla will fix it before your 7-day return window runs out, and if they don't, you will be chasing it forever.

In the meantime, the headliner will start sagging, mold will grow, and you will start hating life.

If Tesla's post-sale customer service had stellar reputation, we might have something to ponder. But given how hard they suck, and how little they care, definitely try to return the car while you still can!

HTH,
a

I'll be uncharacteristically brief this time and say: ditto to the above ^^^

Reactions: Petrocelli

HTH,
a
agreed. 7-day return. now

Your choice, but they can replace the roof glass. It's happened before.
the assumption is they 1) do it in a timely manner and 2) don't F it up putting it back together, and 3) Dont F up another unrelated part of his car.

if they had a good track record then i'd say sure keep it and fix it but given the 3 above are not in teslas favor i would return it TODAY

Car roofs leak all the time and they are repaired all the time. However this is Tesla we're talking about. If there is a way they can mess up the repair there is a decent chance they will mess it up. I had an out of spec windshield that Tesla replaced since it was suspected to be a contributor to serious wind noise in my vehicle. In the process of replacing the glass (which they did with a contractor) they managed to scrape the hood and fender liner down to bare metal in spots, and when I got the car back from this repair there was a new rattle in the dashboard that took months and multiple service visits to get sorted out.

Water damage is nothing to be messed around with. If they don't inspect and replace any parts that got exposed to the water then there's plenty of opportunity for new fun problems down the road.

If this happened on a BMW or Mercedes I would have them correct it... after what I've experienced first hand with Tesla lack of prowess in properly fixing issues I'd certainly consider returning the car if there was an option to replace it with another one at no cost to me.

I'm at the Indy service center now. I'm giving them an opportunity to find the problem - and I've made it abundantly clear that if I'm not satisfied, then I'll return it right now... mobile chargers's back in the trunk, key cards are in the sleeve they came in and in the car, all my crap is out of the car, wife on standby to come pick me up.

Lots of good arguments here for not even giving them the chance, however, I feel like if I don't, then I'm just an asshole who returned their car - but if I let them find the problem, then I have that much more leverage to work with for a situation where I'm made whole. There are lots of 3's out there with no major issues, or no issues at all, and for the time I've had the car, like many, I've fallen for it... so, they get a chance. Either they blow it, or they make it right. Guess we'll know in a little while.

A little wetness? That's within spec, sir!

JK, I would heavily consider returning given what damage may already be done to electronics that isn't visible. They could try to fix it but there may be hidden damage you wouldn't want to have to deal with down the road.

I'd show up at the SC.