Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning/selling MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - took delivery of the MYLR two weeks ago and have generally really liked the car, but was rudely awakened by real world vs. rated range. Knew this was an issue going into it but I fear this car may be impractical for me given how many longer road trips I take.

I think there's a 24 hour/100 mile return window - obviously I'm a bit past that - has anyone had any luck returning beyond that window? Assume this is a long shot.

If not, anyone have experience selling? Where's the best place in everyone's experience - Vroom, Tesla, here? The car is literally brand new and I want to recoup as much as possible - taking a big loss on the ~$10k of taxes/fees above the list price, so pretty bummed overall. Separately, how do taxes work when you sell a car?

Thanks all - and looking forward to continued improvement in battery efficiency. The car and tech really are amazing.

I don't think you need to be concerned about range. We just completed a 3,200+ road trip, which you can see at

There are plenty of Superchargers around the country. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yup. I have traveled all over the country in a shorter range, slower charging EV, using a MY will be much easier.

If you travel 800 miles a day you will only add an hour or so (4 or 5 15 to 20 min charging stops) to your day of travel over what the same trip would take you in a gas car if you are doing a speed run where gas stops are "splash and dash" and you don't take any breaks other than gas stops. I don't know about you, but my wife doesn't travel that way :) When traveling in an ICE we had to stop for lunch, and at least one other medium long break, and gas stops were at least 15 min, not a 5 min splash and dash :D I did a full comparison thread of traveling in a MY vs an ICE car for road tips. I will look for it and link it here for you. My perspective on EV cross country travel... Tesla vs other EV's and ICE's

Here is my thread on the benefits of V3 supercharging: The real benefit is V3 supercharging...

Keith

PS: If you have buyers remorse for some other reason, we are not going to convince you of anything... so ignore everyone if range is not your real reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayB
Hi everyone - took delivery of the MYLR two weeks ago and have generally really liked the car, but was rudely awakened by real world vs. rated range. Knew this was an issue going into it but I fear this car may be impractical for me given how many longer road trips I take.

I think there's a 24 hour/100 mile return window - obviously I'm a bit past that - has anyone had any luck returning beyond that window? Assume this is a long shot.

If not, anyone have experience selling? Where's the best place in everyone's experience - Vroom, Tesla, here? The car is literally brand new and I want to recoup as much as possible - taking a big loss on the ~$10k of taxes/fees above the list price, so pretty bummed overall. Separately, how do taxes work when you sell a car?

Thanks all - and looking forward to continued improvement in battery efficiency. The car and tech really are amazing.
Used (or hardly-used, in this case) Tesla’s are going for a mint right now. Depending on what you owe, you could easily look at a profit if selling or a very favorable trade-in on another vehicle.

I don't think you need to be concerned about range. We just completed a 3,200+ road trip, which you can see at

There are plenty of Superchargers around the country. Let me know if you have any questions.
Great videos! Glanced through the stats - looks like you were averaging 300-350 Wh/mi at average speeds of around 75mph for the most part. Is that fair? Did you find yourself stopping every 2 hours or so, and did the range estimate ever differ significantly from what you achieved despite keeping a reasonable speed?

You can most likely recoup 100% of your money (taxes too)
When you sell they pay you for the car and then when they register with DMV they pay taxes.
Given you already paid the registration fees they will "save" on that.
Thanks. To recoup the full amount, wouldn’t I have to charge more than the list price to account for taxes paid?

“…looks like you were averaging 300-350 Wh/mi at average speeds of around 75mph for the most part. Is that fair? Did you find yourself stopping every 2 hours or so, and did the range estimate ever differ significantly from what you achieved despite keeping a reasonable speed?”

Correct, plus elevation changes. Just monitor the energy app in the car. Slow down if needed due to excess energy burn due to speed or winds.

Reactions: LeaveMeAlone

There’s a 24 hour return window?