Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reus Audio Upgrade - Boston Group Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody interested in getting the Reus Audio upgrade? I know one of the forum members in NYC is having his car done in July and I spoke with the Reus staff and they were willing to come to Boston area during the trip. From what I have read on the forums, the sound upgrade to both systems is simply amazing and relatively reasonable in terms of cost. I am in the process of getting more information from them regarding details. The more installs they do, the lower the individual cost. Given their results and experience with the Model S, I think I would much prefer them to do it rather than a local installer. The post install tuning is as important as the install. My car is going in for a quick check to Tesla Service on Thursday and I am going to speak with Matt to see if he can help organize this. Let me know if you're interested. More details to follow......

Spoke with Rick at Reus Audio today. Great guy who seems extremely passionate about his work. He answered several questions-please find below.

1. What exactly is involved in the upgrade of the stock and upgraded sound system? Which components are replaced, which are added, and how will it change any space or storage dimensions?
They replace the A pillar speakers, add acenter channel speaker and add, replace or upgrade the subwoofer. Upgraded subwoofers may take some extra spacein the rear but otherwise everything still looks stock. They also add new crossovers and a newamplifier which is designed specifically to work with the Tesla system. Everything is being reengineered specificallyfor this car and its acoustics with close communication with Tesla.

1. Is the tuning done on a standard basis or individualized for each user and input source?
The tuning and calibration which is acritical step in the process is individualized for each listener/client.

1. Is there an option or need for any sound deadening (ie Dynamat) with the install?
Not needed. Rick kept stressing they don’twant to change the car but simply take advantage and adapt to its uniqueacoustic properties. Very different fromtaking a bunch of aftermarket speakers and just putting it in. All of the components are specifically engineeredfor this car and its acoustic environment.

1. How long will the install take for each car? How can we arrange a location for the install to be done?
It will take about 5 to 6 hours for each car. They can do it on-site in your garage or acommon work space if we arrange it.

1. What would be the approximate cost and are there any options or upgrades to the standard upgrade?
Currently approximately $3500-3900 dependingon the sub woofer option. They're hopingto get it between $3000-3500 with increased installs as they achieve moreeconomies of scale.

1. What is the warranty on parts and installation? How would it work for remote installs in terms of warranty service?
Lifetime warranty and they could send themodular components to you as needed. Also, if you ever sell the car, the system can be taken out completelyand restored to factory default.

1. If we can get a Boston group buy going, how many cars would be ideal and what time window (Month/date) would be possible?
At least 5 but for would also be okay. Timeframe to be determined but probably lateJuly.

Personally, I am seriously interested as itreally seems that they are engineering the system uniquely for thisvehicle. Rick is going for quality overquantity and says that the more speakers you put in, the harder it is to havethem work together. I would prefer ateamwork on the car who has done many before rather than giving it toindividual installers who have little to no experience. I think our California colleagues are muchmore fortunate as there are so many more cars in California for people to getexperience on. Hope this informationhelps. I assume other clients will beposting more details soon. Let me knowyour thoughts.

Even more interested as they demo'd at Teslive and artsci, who I greatly respect, became an instant believer as soon as he heard the system. The system is designed specifically for the acoustics and dimensions of the car. I was going to see if another post and Matt from the Watertown SC could reassess interest. Let me know, it would be doable if we get 3 or 4 cars. I am in, it just whether they come here or I have to drive down to NYC. Let me know-happy to chat more.

Calling all NE Tesla Owners....
Reus Audio will be coming to the northeast for NYC install of their customized sound upgrade for the Tesla model S. It was on display at Teslive and received rave reviews. The system is specifically designed for the acoustics of the car and it involves replacing various speakers, adding a new sub woofer with dedicated amplifier, and custom crossovers. Finally, it involves tuning for the individual user based on music type and source. Several individuals in the Boston area are interested in getting them to come to Boston for installation. A typical install takes 3 to 5 hours and ranges from $3500-$4500 depending on specifics of the system. The more customers, the better the discount we can get. More info available at Reus Systems and in an earlier post on the thread. Also search teslamotorsclub.com for Reus. If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected]. Hopefully we can get a local group together otherwise I am off the NYC to have the install done and thenwould be happy to demo the car for any interested. Have a wonderful summer!

I have to agree. While there's nothing "wrong" with the factory install, the Reus upgrade took sound quality in the car to a much higher level, based on my experience at TESLIVE. I'm in for he upgrade.

It's all about priorities. I'm sure it's better, but having dropped $90k and then more on tinting, soon a hitch for bike rack, etc. for me it's not worth another $3-5k. I look forward to hearing one of yours sometime.

And then there was one.......thanks all for joining the group buy for the Boston Reus Install. We are one away from making it happen....we only need 4. The NYC install will happen in Long Island and they have 15 cars signed up. Taking my car to the SC on Wed and will see if Mat has some other interested parties. Hope to get one more in the next week. Thanks to those who have joined...I think we will all be very happy with the upgrade.......stay cool everyone

Hi... thank you for organizing this opportunity. I'm currently overwhelmed by all that I have to do for the Model S that's coming for me in August... tires, chargers, sell an old car, purchase the extended warranty & service options, etc. Could you please add me to any list you might have of people who might be interested if there's a "next time"?

Thanks.

just posted a quick summary of my experience with the Reus installation process and the system itself...may be an audiophile alternative to the SS as the difference in price is now $1000...lots of scattered threads so I thought I would post a link on each...I am happy to have anyone come listen if they want......hope it helps....

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...pgrade-for-quot-Watt-ME-quot-Reus-Audio/page5

Thanks for posting your experiences, @nkohlimd. Very interesting! I am taking this seriously and hope to take advantage of your offer to come over to listen sometime soon. I get my new ride tonight... very excited!... it's going to take me a couple of weeks to settle down and start thinking about audio. :)

Cliff @ Reus Systems worked on my car on Monday -- very impressive results. The quality is a distinct two notches above the factory Sound Studio. It took him over 4 hours to install all the components, which includes an additional subwoofer (which eats about 1/3 of the footwell in the rear; I'm not sure what he does if you have 3rd row seating) and amazingly a center channel speaker in the back of the rear-view mirror supporting column, which reflects its sound off the windshield. IMO, if you're serious about sound, you should skip the factory upgrade and go straight to Reus.

I listened to his system for quite a while at Teslive. I've done $15K upgrades to use my car as a show car in the CES Car Stereo Pavilion so I've seen what high-end systems can do. His is impressive for something that doesn't involve remodeling the entire interior.

resell, uninstall factory upgraded stereo?

I was just curious, I purchased the upgraded sound system with my S. I like it -- but I would be interested in something better. I wonder if anyone has thought about uninstalling / reselling their factory upgraded system, to offset the cost of something like the Reus install? (esp now that the factory upgraded system price went up)?