Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: Tesla Reduced Model 3 Parts Order Due to Bottlenecks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has reportedly slashed its parts order from third-party manufacturers by 40% in December citing a bottleneck in Model 3 production.

Reuters reported that Hota Industrial Manufacturing Co, a Taiwanese automotive components maker and supplier for Tesla, has been asked to reduce production of Model 3 components from 5,000 units per week in December to 3,000 per week.

Hota builds gears and axles for Tesla cars. Despite the slow-down in December, the company said its preparing for a significant ramp in Tesla’s production and plans to ship 10,000 parts a week in May or June. Tesla previously indicated it hoped to reach that mark by March.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been quite willing to say the company is facing production challenges, but has yet to give specifics. Some reports say bottlenecks are occurring at the Fremont factory where the Model 3 assembled, others blame suppliers. Then Musk tweeted about “production hell” from the company’s Gigafactory in Nevada, leading some to question if the bottleneck is related to the Model 3 battery pack.

It seems the company still has a long way to go before delivering on nearly half a million Model 3 reservations.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Seems to me you could get an Ioniq and rent a Model S100 for 2 weeks a year ;-)
But yeah, I have a big battery fetish even without having a car. Just so cool to be able to go far.

If Tesla would just offer an extra pack to fit neatly in the rear trunk well...500 mile range would be on the table. Then there is the 2170 thing which was supposed to help density. And does a small frunk even make sense anymore? Add batteries! What's half a ton between fat BEV's?
I have, unhappily at times, more unhappily at other times, owned a GM Volt for 47 months and about 68,500 miles (over 100,000km). It plugs in and gets between 29 - 49 miles on an electric charge. happy times were "smoking a 300 series BMW off the line at a stop light that wanted to turn right from the left lane in front of me and cut me off"

unhappy times are hearing the gasoline engine turning on, burning fossil fuels, and realizing, like the Ioniq, the charge rate is deliberately crippled UNLESS I recharge using the included gasoline engine.
A Chevy volt will recharge 10kw in under an hour IF you run the engine in "Mountain mode", 6x the speed of a wall plug and 3x the speed of 220v

I _only_ bought the PHEV Volt, which has twice the electric range of an Ioniq, (27 advertised, why bother, probably 15 actual) but 4 times the range of a BMW I8 at 12 miles range, but why bother, because the doctor said I might die during a medical procedure and I had _zero_ life insurance and didn't want to leave a car payment for a Tesla S85 for my spouse.

The EV clubs in Oregon/Washington state, northern california came up with an EV "Fanny pack/battery trailor" for long range runs, but I like to stop during my 1,000 - 2,000+ mile trips to eat and attend to bodily functions, like avoiding "Deep Vein Thrombosis"/DVT's like a colleague died from on a 16 hour airline trip returning from India to the US.
Throwing a blood clot at 79 miles per hour and instantly dying is "bad for the passengers" so it's good to keep up blood circulation

As it is, an S85 or higher would add about 15-20% to my travel time, i'm retired and not in excessive hurry.
As for another PHEV, this is the last gasoline vehicle ever for me, and I hope not to take too great a loss on it.

Anyway, I love Tesla, and EV's, and Solar PV, am hopeful and such. The internet is difficult to communicate on, but i've been interested in EV's, PV's since the late 1950's
happy investing
peace brother
(Andreas, is that you?)

Reactions: Cloxxki and Dr. J
Seems so strange, when the US wants to project the image of being so modern and at the forefront of innovation. Yet when it comes to cars, they are so far behind and stuck in the past. ;)

That’s an ignorant statement.

Americans have larger families and drive longer distances to do things than Europeans do. Additionally the roads in most US cities and towns are much larger than in Europe which makes driving and parking a larger vehicle less of a chore.

Additionally we don’t have crippling taxes on fuel that make the use of larger vehicles cost prohibitive for most Europeans.

That’s an ignorant statement.

Americans have larger families and drive longer distances to do things than Europeans do. Additionally the roads in most US cities and towns are much larger than in Europe which makes driving and parking a larger vehicle less of a chore.

Additionally we don’t have crippling taxes on fuel that make the use of larger vehicles cost prohibitive for most Europeans.
Isn't lots of a driving a lack of modern oil taxation and/or proper public transport? Modern trains tend to be electric, quite neat.

• Love
Reactions: AustinPowers
Modern trains tend to be electric, quite neat.

Not economical by any stretch. Public transport is only efficient in a couple of US cities, where thousands commute into the central city every day. (Euro cities are also much, much closer.)

Los Angeles started out as the anti-New York in that zoning laws capped building height. By early design, LA did not want the urban canyons that exist in NY or Chicago; thus urban sprawl. As a result, LA has several major work areas, but none of them are dense enough to make hard rail cost effective.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Not economical by any stretch. Public transport is only efficient in a couple of US cities, where thousands commute into the central city every day. (Euro cities are also much, much closer.)

Los Angeles started out as the anti-New York in that zoning laws capped building height. By early design, LA did not want the urban canyons that exist in NY or Chicago; thus urban sprawl. As a result, LA has several major work areas, but none of them are dense enough to make hard rail cost effective.
Rail is infrastructure. People choose to work and live near stations. You open a station at a tiny shopping center, and it will grow. Trains don't transport just people but also economic activity. But, that's a whole different discussion...

Isn't lots of a driving a lack of modern oil taxation and/or proper public transport? Modern trains tend to be electric, quite neat.

Well, I don't look at taxation as a good thing.

How much time have you spent in the USA? Trains have their uses but the US is enormous and trains and other mass transit won't do it for the millions of Americans who live 10-20-30 miles from their workplace or longer.

You would literally need hundreds of rail stations in a grid stretching out through the entire suburban area that surrounds most US cities, and those suburbs often extend out 10's of miles.

Adding those rail stations alone doesn't do it. Extending a rail line to a new station costs something like 100M dollars for the elevated trains that are typically needed. Where do you think the 10's of billions of $ are going to come from for all of this? You assume that people will pay taxes for this when it won't make their life any more convenient? Wrong.

Rail is infrastructure. People choose to work and live near stations. You open a station at a tiny shopping center, and it will grow. Trains don't transport just people but also economic activity. But, that's a whole different discussion...

The US does have trains and busses for mass transit, just not at the level that many European cities do. In Europe the average person might live a
Wrong direction... Better take a talk with some boring company ;)

Boring company an interesting idea. Based on Elon's predictions (which need to be multiple by 10X) we will start to see those show up in our cities about 10-20 years from now.

You open a station at a tiny shopping center, and it will grow.

Perhaps. But it is a very hard sell to the public to say, let's spend millions to build said train station next to tiny shopping center since for the first many years, no one will want to go there. Literally, the train to nowhere. Not a good use of taxpayer dollars.

It's really a chicken-egg thingy.

Perhaps. But it is a very hard sell to the public to say, let's spend millions to build said train station next to tiny shopping center since for the first many years, no one will want to go there. Literally, the train to nowhere. Not a good use of taxpayer dollars.

Vision builds great economies.
One windmill didn't seem worth the efforts beforehand...but it gave my country the Golden Age.

Maintaining roads comes at a cost also, as do all the cars. Just normalize US gas and car prices (taxation like you don't print ever dollar you spend). Betcha people will find public transport adequate and worth expanding.

Reactions: AustinPowers

Quite right.
It sure is a whole different discussion, but one could postulate that the US, being blessed with enormous amounts of land never had to learn how to make the best use of it. They never had to be efficient in the first place.
Every time I was in the US I noticed the unbelievable amounts (to a European eye, let alone an Asian, especially Japanese one) of wasted space everywhere. Everything was large, no gigantic, in comparison to what the rest of the World has, and much larger / spread out than it needed to be. Waste everywhere. Not just in terms of space, but also energy, resources, everything. It's horrible to think how one nation can do more to ruin the planet than the rest of said planet combined by consuming so much more than what is sustainable, yet still want to be seen as a beacon of light and role-model to the rest of the World.
Sorry to be so negative and agressive in tone, but in times of a "person" like Trump at the helm, the tone of the lowly rest of us here on this Earth has to adapt to what comes from your side of the pond. What goes around comes around...
I hate every Trump voter for making me and so many others dislike the US so much nowadays. I used to be so pro-US, I have so many friends (and relatives) there. It has taken Trump less than one year to ruin the image of the US outside your country, and all the goodwill and admiration we others had towards Amercia. So sad.
<end of rant>