Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revamp forum structure? Merge most Model S/X forums!

Do we need separate Model S/X forums for UI discussions?

• Merge the two forums

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Keep separate Model S and Model X forums

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I confess that I don't follow all of the forums here but I do read the Model S UI forum. I have also started to read the Model X UI forum. 99%+ of what is posted in these forums is not specific to the S or X but it is generic for these two vehicles as this discussion is often related to the official app, third party apps, software updates, the media player, the Tesla API, etc.

Can I propose that these two forums be merged as this will be beneficial to both Model S and Model X owner who currently only frequent the forums specific to their cars?

And if this is the case with the UI sub-forums then I am guessing that it is also the case with a lot of the other subforums as well. Is their really much difference about the battery and charging between the S and X? Most of the discussion in the Battery and Charging subforums is about charging infrastructure like HPWCs and SCs that is agnostic to the specific model.

Reactions: Troy and jive_devil
I vote to merge. But there should be disclaimer (or instruction) in the title that everyone who posts should start off with something like:

Model S
Model X

Comment, comment, etc...

This way UI stuff that are kind of unique to each vehicle (more specifically the X) can be distinguished without folks going.... "do you have an X or S?"

Also it would help with identifying X or S specific UI issues which may crop up.

I think this is an interesting idea.

One thing that would facilitate conversation if the merge takes place, and would just generally help in other discussions now, would be if more people included the Model of the Tesla they were driving, as well as details like AP1, AP2--in their signature files.

In general, I like the idea.

Reactions: Gwgan
My understanding is that there is a solution forthcoming, which in my opinion will be very flexible. @danny will likely explain it a bit in his own time, and I don't want to step on his toes.

But suffice to say, I've been complaining about this issue for a while, and I'm happy with what's being proposed.
Me too (happy with what's being proposed.) Perhaps @danny can post an update?

My understanding is that there is a solution forthcoming, which in my opinion will be very flexible. @danny will likely explain it a bit in his own time, and I don't want to step on his toes.

But suffice to say, I've been complaining about this issue for a while, and I'm happy with what's being proposed.

Definitely needed. I got tired of seeing the AP2, update 8.x, update 15xx, threads duplicated.

I wonder if the new change addresses the need for Semi/truck as well?

Definitely needed. I got tired of seeing the AP2, update 8.x, update 15xx, threads duplicated.

I wonder if the new change addresses the need for Semi/truck as well?
Quite agree.... we do need a 'general forum' and 'a model specific' forum. But, like anything, policing that will be a nightmare. The sub-forums now for ordering/delivery/interior/etc. show that.

I have to check S for general stuff, X for some X-specific, then 3 for 3 questions. Then X-ordering for that.... Easier to just read the 'New Posts' tab for all new posts! :)

I wish there was a way to filter that to exclude foreign forums (no offense, but I'm not interesting in loca Hong Kong news!).

I wish there was a way to filter that to exclude foreign forums (no offense, but I'm not interesting in loca Hong Kong news!).

The way I handle this is to "watch" the forums I'm interested in. The "Watch Forum" link is at the top right of each forum, just under the "Post New Thread" button. Then you can use https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/unread-posts as your home page. It's like "new posts", but only shows new posts in the forums you're watching.

• Helpful
Reactions: boaterva
So what ever happened to the mentioned forum restructuring? This really should happen as a lot of the discussion on stuff like the API is Model agnostic so it should have one unified forum.
Some of you may have noticed, but we have been slowly implementing a new tagging solution which ideally would solve this issue. I've been hesitant to promote it just yet as there's lot of work being done in the backend to get it all prepared, but I will update this thread soon. Thanks.