Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reversing camera Sepia tone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but;

I like the upgrade to have the two side cameras on the screen when reversing. But why don't they have the same colour as the main rear camera. Mine appear in colour but with a brownish wash effect - like old sepia toned photos.

I like the upgrade to have the two side cameras on the screen when reversing. But why don't they have the same colour as the main rear camera. Mine appear in colour but with a brownish wash effect - like old sepia toned photos.

I don't know what upgrade you have, but I'm running 24.6.9 and I only have 1 camera angle while in reverse. The below is not the backup camera button, but after shifting into reverse.

Reverse Camera (24.6.9).jpg

I don't know what upgrade you have, but I'm running 24.6.9 and I only have 1 camera angle while in reverse. The below is not the backup camera button, but after shifting into reverse.

View attachment 569515

You need to turn it on. It’s not on by default. I have an X which might be different.

As far as OP question I think the rear camera was never intended for AP or it’s simply a better camera for the human eye. The AP cameras are good enough for AP and optimized for low light. Eye pleasing color it not a requirement. So they simply different priorities.

Reactions: rpiotro
WRT color, the sensor used in the cameras on the Tesla are not the same as the sensors used in say your digital camera.

I believe normally a visual camera uses 4 pickups: RGGB - Red, Green, Green, Blue

The rear camera is not used for autopilot and is set up more like a regular camera.

The side camera's are, but since they're optimized for software edge finding, and to work perfect at night, not you watching live video, they use RCCB

Hope this makes sense, at least a little. And I could be wrong, open to correction

From Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap
* In a camera each pixel is represented by 4 photoreceptors, with a combination of filters: C=Clear, R=Red, G=Green, B=Blue. Multiple same filters for a pixel increases the light sensitivity. With RCCB, there is no green filter to improve nighttime light sensitivity, and green can be calculated to make a color image for the dashcam.

This is also something that’s been annoying me. I thought that when I set it up I had been playing with settings and mistakenly changed this to sepia.
If it is a setting I’d like to change it back but can’t find it anywhere.