Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: '17 MX P vs. '20 MX P vs. '20 MY P-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VikH

Supporting Member
Nov 23, 2015
Midwest, USA
IMG_8676.jpeg

I recently did an overnight test drive of a 2020 MX Performance (red) with G battery pack and 2020 MY Performance Stealth. Here are my main takeaways of the 2020 MX Perf as it compares to my 3 year old 2017 MX P100DL (grey) -
  • Raven Suspension - The ride was noticeably and sometimes significantly more comfortable than my Pre-Raven air suspension. My 2017 has aftermarket 22" wheels and the test drive car had stock 22" wheels.
  • Performance - I did back to back Launch Controls in Very Low Susp and Ludi++. The 2020 MX Performance is much faster than my 2017 MX P100DL (with 30k miles). Also, the extra torque in the front motor was noticeable in normal driving.
  • Quality - Exterior cosmetic quality was better in the 2020 vs my 2017 MX. You can see in the picture the gaps above headlights are much tighter in the 2020 (red). Although the 2020 was not without issue. There was a creaking noise from the front suspension and the front passenger door jam had a rubber piece falling out. There was also an annoying front motor whine at certain speeds in the 2020.
  • Audio - The sound system has been updated from the premium sound system from 2017. IMO the 2020 system sounded better. Another big change was voice call quality (was much louder and clearer). I also noticed that the car manages bluetooth audio volume differently/better. I believe this is a MCU1vs. MCU2 thing.
  • FWDs - I didn't time this, but it seems the 2020 FWDs opened faster. Also, the metal frame is updated to reduce the contact point rubbing issue on older FWDs.
  • Efficiency - This was okay, but not as significant as I was expecting.
Here are my main takeaways of the 2020 Model Y Performance Stealth -
  • Efficiency - Wow. I drove the car in cold weather (30 F) and I was under 300 wh/mi overall (even with hard launches). Granted, I was driving a Perf Stealth Y with 19" Gemini (without caps), so that played a factor, but it was still surprising and significant relative to the old and new Model X cars. I took the same route under similar conditions and the Model Y was 120 wh/mi lower than the 2020 MX Perf.
  • Quality - Was slightly worse on my test car than the 2020 Model X tester, but it could have been a fluke. The main issue was a window seal near the passenger mirror was bent outwards which caused a very loud wind noise. When pushed back into place, wind noise was not bad (but not great). I also noticed one of the speaker grills was falling off.
  • Performance - Noticeably slower than the 2020 MX Perf and slower than my 2017 MX. Although top end power seemed to be better than my 2017 MX.
  • Comfort - Seats were comfortable (about the same as 2020 MX). The car was on 19" wheels so not a great comparison, but it was not as smooth as the Raven suspension. However, during a 50 mile drive I did not feel uncomfortable. The full glass roof makes the car feel more airy/larger than it is.
  • Wind Noise - Per above there was a piece of trim which made the wind noise very loud. When I pushed this trim back into place, window noise was better but still slightly louder than both MX cars. However, my test car did not have laminated glass.
  • Rear Camera Quality - Relative to my 2017 Model X, the rear camera quality on the Y is not as good and often time lags.
  • Interior/Cargo - We had one forward facing car seat and one rear facing car seat. Plenty of leg room in the front. Like the back seat pocks. Decent amount of cargo space. Missing the floor space on my 6-seat, but we didn't utilize it very often. MY felt narrower in the front but not uncomfortable.
  • Controls - I liked the feel of the smaller steering wheel in the Y. Also the switch gear feels better, but I like having a separate Autopilot stalk with the MX. Hopefully Model Y gets the matte interior soon instead of gloss.
  • Headlights - Noticeably better than both new and old Model X cars.
Damn that was long. Overall, the 2020 MX, and certainly the H battery pack with more range, is a solid upgrade and there are many things to justify the upgrade. However, much of the car is the same and the Model Y Performance is a very attractive option. It is $40k cheaper and has 2170 batteries/heatpump octovalve which give it incredible efficiency. Also, the Model Y has Tesla's attention (already receiving updates after being released earlier this year), whereas the Model X seems to be left behind.

Based on above, I think the better buy for us is the Model Y over the Model X (we don't need a third row or the extra 10 cu ft of cargo). We will wait until January or February to see if MY gets heated steering wheel and other M3 updates before purchasing. If/when the Model X is updated, we may come back.

Good comparison. I need to make a choice this Spring when my X75 lease is up. The X is a May 2018 build so already had MCU 2 and AP 2.5. Regardless of which vehicle I select, I will likely not go with performance addition because I prefer a softer ride and better efficiency.

We also have a M3 LR and I find it rather tight and the seats too low. I don't think I would want to do a long trip in the car. And still prefer the binnacle in front of the driver. But, a HUD would be best.

Reactions: VikH
My take on the Y - drove a P and LR and the rest of the lineup before choosing XLR+, unless you really need the space, get the model 3, as Y drives like a not quite fully baked model 3. Still GREAT compared to any other small suv, but physics never takes a break and you can really feel the compromises behind the wheel. If it’s your only car though, hard to beat as an all rounder.

and then if you really need space, and have a “fun” car to get your driving fix, model X is slightly bigger in some key areas that make a difference, and, of the 3 I’ve driven including a pretty well used 2017 100d, all are quieter and comfier particularly at highway speeds. It’s a not very big improvement for a huge cost premium, so unless you are just very sensitive to Finer Things or really want the space, y is a great choice. But in the end there’s still no replacement for displacement and X just has more of it

View attachment 605549

It is $40k cheaper and has 2170 batteries/heatpump octovalve which give it incredible efficiency. Also, the Model Y has Tesla's attention (already receiving updates after being released earlier this year), whereas the Model X seems to be left behind.

These are the key things that will swing me toward a MY when I come to change my 2018 MX. Only the release of an all-new MX would make me think twice and I get the feeling that won't happen in the next year or so.

I’m coming from a Model S 75D w/21” arachnids. I have 3 growing kids and a doe so we are considering:
6 seat config
LR+ OR Performance
20” or 22”
We take occasional trips to Tahoe, which is the only reason I’m considering the 20” wheels.

I’m an actual licensed racecar driver* and have driven both 20 and 22 equipped cars and the 22’s do nothing but make the car worse from behind the wheel imo. Feels exactly the same as going from a Tahoe on the base wheels to a Tahoe on the bling bling optional wheels - worse. Especially decel where it seemed like it really made the car feel like it didn’t want to whoa up once the friction brakes were in play. Not horrible, but just worse, for more money. I don’t get it.

They do look nice though

*amateur, occasional

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jb401 and skitown
View attachment 605549

I recently did an overnight test drive of a 2020 MX Performance (red) with G battery pack and 2020 MY Performance Stealth. Here are my main takeaways of the 2020 MX Perf as it compares to my 3 year old 2017 MX P100DL (grey) -
  • Raven Suspension - The ride was noticeably and sometimes significantly more comfortable than my Pre-Raven air suspension. My 2017 has aftermarket 22" wheels and the test drive car had stock 22" wheels.
  • Performance - I did back to back Launch Controls in Very Low Susp and Ludi++. The 2020 MX Performance is much faster than my 2017 MX P100DL (with 30k miles). Also, the extra torque in the front motor was noticeable in normal driving.
  • Quality - Exterior cosmetic quality was better in the 2020 vs my 2017 MX. You can see in the picture the gaps above headlights are much tighter in the 2020 (red). Although the 2020 was not without issue. There was a creaking noise from the front suspension and the front passenger door jam had a rubber piece falling out. There was also an annoying front motor whine at certain speeds in the 2020.
  • Audio - The sound system has been updated from the premium sound system from 2017. IMO the 2020 system sounded better. Another big change was voice call quality (was much louder and clearer). I also noticed that the car manages bluetooth audio volume differently/better. I believe this is a MCU1vs. MCU2 thing.
  • FWDs - I didn't time this, but it seems the 2020 FWDs opened faster. Also, the metal frame is updated to reduce the contact point rubbing issue on older FWDs.
  • Efficiency - This was okay, but not as significant as I was expecting.
Here are my main takeaways of the 2020 Model Y Performance Stealth -
  • Efficiency - Wow. I drove the car in cold weather (30 F) and I was under 300 wh/mi overall (even with hard launches). Granted, I was driving a Perf Stealth Y with 19" Gemini (without caps), so that played a factor, but it was still surprising and significant relative to the old and new Model X cars. I took the same route under similar conditions and the Model Y was 120 wh/mi lower than the 2020 MX Perf.
  • Quality - Was slightly worse on my test car than the 2020 Model X tester, but it could have been a fluke. The main issue was a window seal near the passenger mirror was bent outwards which caused a very loud wind noise. When pushed back into place, wind noise was not bad (but not great). I also noticed one of the speaker grills was falling off.
  • Performance - Noticeably slower than the 2020 MX Perf and slower than my 2017 MX. Although top end power seemed to be better than my 2017 MX.
  • Comfort - Seats were comfortable (about the same as 2020 MX). The car was on 19" wheels so not a great comparison, but it was not as smooth as the Raven suspension. However, during a 50 mile drive I did not feel uncomfortable. The full glass roof makes the car feel more airy/larger than it is.
  • Wind Noise - Per above there was a piece of trim which made the wind noise very loud. When I pushed this trim back into place, window noise was better but still slightly louder than both MX cars. However, my test car did not have laminated glass.
  • Rear Camera Quality - Relative to my 2017 Model X, the rear camera quality on the Y is not as good and often time lags.
  • Interior/Cargo - We had one forward facing car seat and one rear facing car seat. Plenty of leg room in the front. Like the back seat pocks. Decent amount of cargo space. Missing the floor space on my 6-seat, but we didn't utilize it very often. MY felt narrower in the front but not uncomfortable.
  • Controls - I liked the feel of the smaller steering wheel in the Y. Also the switch gear feels better, but I like having a separate Autopilot stalk with the MX. Hopefully Model Y gets the matte interior soon instead of gloss.
  • Headlights - Noticeably better than both new and old Model X cars.
Damn that was long. Overall, the 2020 MX, and certainly the H battery pack with more range, is a solid upgrade and there are many things to justify the upgrade. However, much of the car is the same and the Model Y Performance is a very attractive option. It is $40k cheaper and has 2170 batteries/heatpump octovalve which give it incredible efficiency. Also, the Model Y has Tesla's attention (already receiving updates after being released earlier this year), whereas the Model X seems to be left behind.

Based on above, I think the better buy for us is the Model Y over the Model X (we don't need a third row or the extra 10 cu ft of cargo). We will wait until January or February to see if MY gets heated steering wheel and other M3 updates before purchasing. If/when the Model X is updated, we may come back.

Thanks a lot, very interesting read. I'm currently waiting for my X to be delivered. One of the things i really like about the car is how spaceous it feels inside and that you can climb easily from the passenger seat to the second row (5 seater) for example to calm down a crying baby. Also the ride feels great in the different suspension settings. The premium is of course significant but for the added room, comfort and performance it still might make sense for some.

My take on the Y - drove a P and LR and the rest of the lineup before choosing XLR+, unless you really need the space, get the model 3, as Y drives like a not quite fully baked model 3. Still GREAT compared to any other small suv, but physics never takes a break and you can really feel the compromises behind the wheel. If it’s your only car though, hard to beat as an all rounder.

and then if you really need space, and have a “fun” car to get your driving fix, model X is slightly bigger in some key areas that make a difference, and, of the 3 I’ve driven including a pretty well used 2017 100d, all are quieter and comfier particularly at highway speeds. It’s a not very big improvement for a huge cost premium, so unless you are just very sensitive to Finer Things or really want the space, y is a great choice. But in the end there’s still no replacement for displacement and X just has more of it

Regarding the Y not being fully "baked", the Model X is surely not winning any handling awards. I have put about +1000 miles on a Model 3 Stealth Perf and it is a great car. Very fun to drive. IMO the Model Y feels very similar to the Model 3 and I don't feel any compromises (especially relative to my current large Model X). The biggest problem I have with the 3 is cargo and cargo accessibility. It is tough to fit, even basic large items in the Model 3. If it had a hatchback, that would be a good option for us.

I agree the X is more quiet and comfortable than the Y, but the Y feels fine and similar to any car with coil suspension.

Thanks a lot, very interesting read. I'm currently waiting for my X to be delivered. One of the things i really like about the car is how spaceous it feels inside and that you can climb easily from the passenger seat to the second row (5 seater) for example to calm down a crying baby. Also the ride feels great in the different suspension settings. The premium is of course significant but for the added room, comfort and performance it still might make sense for some.

You can't go wrong with a Model X. It is a great car.

Reactions: P85_DA
Well I just finished test driving a 2020 Model X Performance with 22" and a X Long Range with 20". Honestly other then the seat which is more comfortable I noticed no significant improvements compared to my 2016, so I decided not to trade in. They are all rough , bumpy, and noisy. No changes.. haha.

• Informative
Reactions: blitzpa
Well I just finished test driving a 2020 Model X Performance with 22" and a X Long Range with 20". Honestly other then the seat which is more comfortable I noticed no significant improvements compared to my 2016, so I decided not to trade in. They are all rough , bumpy, and noisy. No changes.. haha.

You didn't notice an improvement in ride quality with the Raven suspension? That was most apparent to me. Maybe if you are on 20" wheels it is not as significant.

The motor whine noise is probably the new pedestrian warning speaker. You can disconnect it if you choose, at your risk. I am not sure if Y and X have different sounds.

The front motor whine noise was at speed of 30-35 mph, so the ped. warning wouldn't be active.

You didn't notice an improvement in ride quality with the Raven suspension? That was most apparent to me. Maybe if you are on 20" wheels it is not as significant.

The front motor whine noise was at speed of 30-35 mph, so the ped. warning wouldn't be active.

Yeah man I noticed no significant improvement I tried comfort and auto mode, and plus the roads are really bad in Michigan. If there was a difference it was not significant enough for me to trade in and spend another 50-60k on a new car.

I have 2018 X P and have no desire yet to trade in unless the X gets newer battery tech ...I got so used to the space in the X it will be hard for me to consider a Y good write up OP!

Yeah man I noticed no significant improvement I tried comfort and auto mode, and plus the roads are really bad in Michigan. If there was a difference it was not significant enough for me to trade in and spend another 50-60k on a new car.

Very surprising because the atrocious ride quality was what kept me away from a 2016/2017 X at the time. I was coming from a Lexus LS and value smoothness. I was extremely impressed with the Raven X ride quality and am now contemplating trading my Raven S for one. At the time I bought my S it was difficult finding a Raven X to test drive.

I love the FWD, although still have concerns about them rubbing on the body and reliability past the warranty period. I am still on the fence whether I want to drive something as big as the X since I am generally not a fan of SUVs. The Y is a consideration/compromise but the one I test drove rode stiff and felt like a downgrade from our Raven S. I love the efficiency of the Y but the S looks better and rides better. Plus, I will lose FUSC if I go to either X/Y at this point. I am mainly tempted by more range and cargo space in a new X/Y.

While parked next to a Y, my X is definitely larger and I love the space on long trips. I was wondering if I could go with a Y, but having sat in one I don't think I could. While driving down the road, the X does not really seem that large next to other SUV's out there. I think a great compromise in size, and still sitting up high enough. I go by other 5 seater SUV's that seem about the same size and glad I can fit 6 in my MX. I like the FWD as well as they offer some cover in the rain and allow for easy entry of rear passengers.

Can anyone comment on Model X front tire rapid wear? Our 2020 is just over 1 year old with 18k and already the front tires look almost bald. Using 20 inch, staggered.

The rear tires look like they have more thread and can last another year.

I am used to my 2015 model S90D needing new tires every other year.

Last edited: