Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Switch From MY to MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MY w/ 20" wheels. It's a great car. Only real complaint I have is the suspension is rather bumpy at times so limited city driving.

I'm thinking about upgrading at some point and have been looking at the MX. The price has been going down and I like the size.

My concerns are the following:
  1. I have heard the SUV shudders when accelerating quickly. Is that still an issue?
  2. Also have read that the sensors for the falcon wings can be off at times.
  3. Is the build quality even worse than the MY?
Any folks with experience moving up from the MY to MX would be appreciated.

I have a 2021 MY w/ 20" wheels. It's a great car. Only real complaint I have is the suspension is rather bumpy at times so limited city driving.
I'm thinking about upgrading at some point and have been looking at the MX. The price has been going down and I like the size.
I think it is more common for folks to move from a X to a Y.
My concerns are the following:
  1. I have heard the SUV shudders when accelerating quickly. Is that still an issue?
Still is a problem for some.
  1. Also have read that the sensors for the falcon wings can be off at times.
It is not a matter of them being off, rather it is the coverage of the top sensor is rather limited.
  1. Is the build quality even worse than the MY?
Quality is improving. But I would consider the 3 and Y vastly more reliable than the X or S. My 2018 X had tons of service problems over the four years I owned it. There was no way I would consider owning an X without warranty. My 2022 OTOH has been 100% problem free. Not a single reportable issue in 18 months. Still time for things to break.

I was planning on moving down to a Model Y, but when I traded my 2018, the trade-in values at that time (mid-2022) were absolutely nuts. So I stayed with the X. Time will tell.

It is not a matter of them being off, rather it is the coverage of the top sensor is rather limited.

Quality is improving. But I would consider the 3 and Y vastly more reliable than the X or S. My 2018 X had tons of service problems over the four years I owned it. There was no way I would consider owning an X without warranty. My 2022 OTOH has been 100% problem free. Not a single reportable issue in 18 months. Still time for things to break.

I was planning on moving down to a Model Y, but when I traded my 2018, the trade-in values at that time (mid-2022) were absolutely nuts. So I stayed with the X. Time will tell.
Reliable just because there are less things to break? Why would folks move from a MX to a MY, other than reliability?

Why would folks move from a MX to a MY, other than reliability?
I love my model X, but I see a lot of benefits to the model Y.

There are those who prefer the conventional back doors over the falcon wing doors. (I am not one of them.)

The second row seat actually feels more spacious with the glass roof on the model Y. And there is a fold down arm rest/cup holder on the model Y that is horribly absent on the model X.

The model X feels like a moose of a car to drive. I love it for trips but definitely do not prefer it when I am in a city parking garage.

Until recent price cuts, the model X was twice the price of the model Y without being twice as good.

I love the X. No shutter here. Softer suspension but still great handling. Better interior build quality and thought. Auto doors. Falcon wing doors is so useful and I love it. I found that the rubber seals were too new so one door didn't close that well but after it broke in I haven't had any issues with them. As long as you look at the basic stuff during inspection, you should be left with a great car.

Sound system is better also. But i miss the single screen as there are a ton of stuff I can't do in the X that I can easily do in the Y.

I was planning to get a Y (from an X) but test drive Y had that dreaded booming pressure issue. I’m afraid of getting a Y now because that seems like an issue that can never get permanently resolved.

How is Tesla with return rejection of a new car after just a couple days? I remember last time I bought new, they did not allow test drive of your delivery car before signing off everything and paying for the car.

I’d hate to take delivery of a Y with the booming issue.

Reactions: bobbyjae
How is Tesla with return rejection of a new car after just a couple days?
There isnt any such thing any longer ("returning your car after just a couple of days"), and hasnt been in quite some time.

Once you sign for it, its yours, and the only way you are returning it is the same way you "return" a car in any other dealership transaction, which is either getting the dealer to unwind the deal (which has to be by their choice, so almost never happens), getting them to do a buyback, or successfully navigating a lemon law claim.

"Getting them to do a buyback" really only happens in a situation where they know it would be a successful lemon law claim.

I was planning to get a Y (from an X) but test drive Y had that dreaded booming pressure issue. I’m afraid of getting a Y now because that seems like an issue that can never get permanently resolved.

How is Tesla with return rejection of a new car after just a couple days? I remember last time I bought new, they did not allow test drive of your delivery car before signing off everything and paying for the car.

I’d hate to take delivery of a Y with the booming issue.
There are ways to reduce the booming such as tweaking the bumper stumps, plastic hose around the perimeter, etc. Now it's just a thud. Some folks may be more sensitive to it than others.

We have both, a Y performance and an X plaid.

The Y is a great car (as you already know) but yeah the suspension is fairly stiff. The Y feels more nimble and has a stiffer steering feel. I’d say comfort steering on the Y Performance is still stiffer than the X in sport. The steering wheel is smaller and also contributes to the sportier feel in steering over the X imo.

The X feels larger, especially wider feeling when seated inside. I’ve found it harder to park in the garage vs the Y (it’s longer and wider). Suspension is definitely smoother than the Y and we have the 22’s on the X which people say isn’t as smooth as the 20s. Much more comfortable and a lot less bumpy than the Y. The entire experience of the X feels more premium than the Y (alcantara roof, driver screen, larger main screen, rear screen, quieter interior). And of course speed wise it’s not close. Plaid is stupid fast but I’ve read even the refresh LR is crazy fast (670 Hp) and I’d expect the LR X to be much faster than the Y performance from a roll.

The X has more complicated features (falcon wing doors, active air suspension) and some long standing issues (front half shafts) where I think it’s reasonable to expect more expensive long term cost associated with it vs the Y.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and bobbyjae

I traded my MYP for a MXLR. X has much quieter cabin and smother ride due to air suspension with auto leveling. Performance of the X is not much different than my previous 2020 MYP. Took delivery of the MXLR in Jan 2023 and all USS are present and working just fine. Fewer calls for service than the previous MYP. The X interior is much better than my previous MYP or my 2018 MS 100D which was total by a 16 year old girl who failed to yield at a red light.

I traded my MYP for a MXLR. X has much quieter cabin and smother ride due to air suspension with auto leveling. Performance of the X is not much different than my previous 2020 MYP. Took delivery of the MXLR in Jan 2023 and all USS are present and working just fine. Fewer calls for service than the previous MYP. The X interior is much better than my previous MYP or my 2018 MS 100D which was total by a 16 year old girl who failed to yield at a red light.
How did you get a 2023 MX with USS? That’s another feature that I don’t want to lose.

I sold my 2022 MY Performance and got a new 2023 MX LR and I am not looking back. Better car, better technology and that feeling that of having a car that everyone around you is looking at you. Plus my wife and kids love it, Can't wait for our first trip to Orlando. :D👍

We have both, a Y performance and an X plaid.

The Y is a great car (as you already know) but yeah the suspension is fairly stiff. The Y feels more nimble and has a stiffer steering feel. I’d say comfort steering on the Y Performance is still stiffer than the X in sport. The steering wheel is smaller and also contributes to the sportier feel in steering over the X imo.

The X feels larger, especially wider feeling when seated inside. I’ve found it harder to park in the garage vs the Y (it’s longer and wider). Suspension is definitely smoother than the Y and we have the 22’s on the X which people say isn’t as smooth as the 20s. Much more comfortable and a lot less bumpy than the Y. The entire experience of the X feels more premium than the Y (alcantara roof, driver screen, larger main screen, rear screen, quieter interior). And of course speed wise it’s not close. Plaid is stupid fast but I’ve read even the refresh LR is crazy fast (670 Hp) and I’d expect the LR X to be much faster than the Y performance from a roll.

The X has more complicated features (falcon wing doors, active air suspension) and some long standing issues (front half shafts) where I think it’s reasonable to expect more expensive long term cost associated with it vs the Y.
Idk why I can’t edit my post.

I meant to say standard (not comfort which is looser)steering setting in the Y feels slightly more stiff than sport in the X. Comfort

I've got both. I've had two Model Xs, a 2016 and our current 2020. I also have a 2022 Model Y. All models Long Range.

My wife's car is technically the X but we both prefer the Y. As a testament to Tesla's lack of build consistency, my X is significantly louder from a road noise perspective than my Y. We do have the shudder (and have had it on both Model Xs). The falcon wing doors are annoying anywhere that there is a low roof (garage) or otherwise tight spaces. You often have to negotiate with the person behind you when you're getting out of the car, or you get trapped waiting for them to close the door. And personally we prefer smaller cars, the X is large.

On the bright side, it can tow 5000 lbs so we can pull our Airstream with it, which is why we still have it. Otherwise I suspect we'd just buy another Y for my wife.

If you like a cushier ride, the air suspension is nice on the X. If you like attracting attention, the doors can do that for you in some areas. Not where I am, since they're everywhere - which is fine by me because I don't care for the attention at all. And I can find a pinball machine in the X, but not in the Y. So there's that..

It's personal.. good luck with your choice.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae and GSP
I currently have a '21 MYSR (the rare early single motor sold for a little over a month before Elon stopped it). It has been a good car but has squeaky suspension corrected twice already and squeaking again, a wheel bearing that failed and was making a grinding noise, a headlight where the 'driving light' went out and a left turn signal fender light/camera that had water invasion. All were repaired or replaced under warranty. One of those times I had an old crappy and dirty MX loaner which the service rep was apologizing to give to me because it was not in great visual shape (had scratches, dings, scraped rims and two rims had yellow markings on it). I really enjoyed it and liked the better finishes (even if dirty) and the smoother suspension.
I was prepared to order a '24 MYP due to price, performance and the 'comfort suspension' reasons but then decided to take a test drive of the new MXLR due to the price drop. I really liked it and the refresh was head and shoulders better than the previous MX generation version. So we are now in our waiting period for our MXLR to get a VIN assigned and delivered. I still like the MYP and if they come out with a MY Plaid with the refreshed body, I may be swayed to take another look at the Y again even thought I have no need for that kind of performance since the MY Performance is very fast already and I am old and don't do stupid things on the road.

• Informative
I sold my 2022 MY Performance and got a new 2023 MX LR and I am not looking back. Better car, better technology and that feeling that of having a car that everyone around you is looking at you. Plus my wife and kids love it, Can't wait for our first trip to Orlando. :D👍
I requested a Model Y loaner last week while my car was getting warranty work. Model Y is crisp but a bit twitchy compared to Model X. I prefer the Model X dashboard display on the left and center, and not just in the middle like the Y.

Model Y interior is a bit sparse compared to the Model X, but not too bad. Mileage is marginally better with 2023 Y compared to 2017 X. Model Y is peppy, Model X P100D is a beast.

I’m happy I tried out the Y, but I prefer my 2017 P100D X. That being said, the Model Y was pretty awesome. Not a bad car at all.

With the recent promotion of being able to transfer FUSC, this has me looking at upgrading my to a MYLR or MX. My concerns with the Y is the booming noise I’ve just learned about. How common is the MY booming noise? I thought the MYP would be fun, but those rim and tires would probably be terrible in NY/NJ area.
One thing that concerns me with the X is the reliability, those falcon wing doors look like it can be costly after the warranty expires!