Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD test drives in May 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From an unspecified test drive today, I finally got a more useful position for the GoPro.

Later when I have more time, I will mix all my footage into one video only. Until then, enjoy these 54 seconds of driving, and remember, wide angle cameras close to the ground make the speed seem a lot faster than it really is!

Great video! What mount did you use with the GoPro to get this angle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh DITB you test drove today too? What's the route? I'm bringing a couple of friends to test drive on Friday night :smile:

Around what time? I might be able to make it if it's not too early in the afternoon. I can bring the GoPro, as I have one more angle I would like to shoot: On the top of the roof, looking back :cool:

If you try to do the same, be aware where you place it, in case you intend to play with the sunroof. Either behind the aft travel of the sunroof, or on the back of the sunroof itself (the camera will just move back then).

Around what time? I might be able to make it if it's not too early in the afternoon. I can bring the GoPro, as I have one more angle I would like to shoot: On the top of the roof, looking back :cool:

If you try to do the same, be aware where you place it, in case you intend to play with the sunroof. Either behind the aft travel of the sunroof, or on the back of the sunroof itself (the camera will just move back then).

Our test drive will be 7-8pm, between two or possibly three (including myself) people if my other friend can leave office in time. You're welcome to join us and take more videos!

Our test drive will be 7-8pm, between two or possibly three (including myself) people if my other friend can leave office in time. You're welcome to join us and take more videos!
It would be great with some night time footage as well. I don't need to be in the car, I will just mount it - with the permission of yourself as well as TM - and take it off when you get back.

I used the standard GoPro suction cup, with a few extra joint. In the latest clip, it's placed just in front of the right front wheel, looking back. Next time I think it will be on the roof, towards the back, also looking backwards.

Thanks. The 'few extra joints' are probably what I want to figure out. How did you manage to orient the camera the right way up if you mount it to the side of the car? How do you rotate the camera 90 degrees?

Thanks. The 'few extra joints' are probably what I want to figure out. How did you manage to orient the camera the right way up if you mount it to the side of the car? How do you rotate the camera 90 degrees?

that at was with a few extra joints, maybe three or so, will upload a picture from my iPhone to show it. Edit, I don't have the camera with me, just imagine three joints and a suction cup.

If you couldn't, then you could also record the other way and rotate the video later (although the format would be wrong)

Last edited:
that at was with a few extra joints, maybe three or so, will upload a picture from my iPhone to show it. Edit, I don't have the camera with me, just imagine three joints and a suction cup.

If you couldn't, then you could also record the other way and rotate the video later (although the format would be wrong)

I think I understand.. Thanks.
wrong orientation (format as you put it) will bug the crap out of me! =)

Hi all,

Just came back from my test drive at Festival Walk. Man what a rush! Not much info to be gained from the salesperson though.

Web browser: as said on the forum, the feature has been removed due to restrictions by the Transport Department.
Google Maps: Confirmed as a "question mark", meaning unclear whether it will be in the delivery vehicles or not. When I asked "why wouldn't it be included?", he didn't know. When I asked what would be included in its place, his answer was "rumor has it that it would be an offline hard-drive based solution...". I said, "rumor has it?" He acknowledged that the information from Corporate changes all the time, so he doesn't have any more information than we do.
Delivery schedule: He didn't have an update. He continued to say Signature cars should be end-June/early July, even though I tend to believe Linda's e-mail that Signature cars are delayed until July. When he asked me when I confirmed my order and I told him "late Feb", he said that should be early enough to make the August deliveries. I'm preparing myself for September, so that if it does arrive in August, I'd consider that a bonus.
Charging: Because the IEC 62196 connector is larger than the US connector, the lights have been moved such that they are next to the charge port rather than around the connector. See picture below.

photo 2.JPG

After dinner, I went to the car park to pick up my car and there was the Tesla!! So I snapped a couple more pics, including one of the license on the windshield. Thought some of you might be interested... Interesting to note the "Rated Power" is 90 kW!

photo 1.JPG

Can't wait to get my hands on my own Model S!

AppleFan

Last edited:
Thanks AppleFan for the photo of the Motor V License. I see that "this" particular Model S has a power rating of 90KW. That means "this" particular Model S has the first generation battery pack. The latest version has 120KW.

The power rating shown is motor power, not supercharger maximum. That number would be based on documents submitted during type approval, and should be the same for all cars of that type.

The power rating shown is motor power, not supercharger maximum. That number would be based on documents submitted during type approval, and should be the same for all cars of that type.

But the Performance model has 416 hp (310 kW), how does that tie in with "Rated power"? Sure it has around 90 KW - for each passenger! Well, almost, but there is quite a gap from 90 to 310.

But the Performance model has 416 hp (310 kW), how does that tie in with "Rated power"? Sure it has around 90 KW - for each passenger! Well, almost, but there is quite a gap from 90 to 310.

A little bit dated now, but here is the background:

http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr11-12/english/panels/tp/papers/tp0206cb1-961-3-e.pdf

It is recommended that “rated power” of the electric motors should be adopted as the criterion for determining which EVs should be allowed to run on expressways. The “rated power” of an electric motor is its maximum power output that can be sustained for an extended period, and it relates closely to the speed and acceleration performance of EVs. Expert advice obtained by TD is that the use of “rated power” as the control criterion for EVs is consistent with the use of “engine cylinder capacity” for petrol/diesel driven vehicles. It is further recommended on expert advice that a rated power of 7kW should be adopted as the minimum threshold for electric private cars, and 3kW for electric motor cycles and motor tricycles. A lower threshold is proposed for electric motor cycles and motor tricycles because these vehicles have lighter weights than electric private cars. At the above proposed minimum thresholds on “rated power”, the electric motors of EVs should be capable of generating continuous motor power to drive EVs at a cruising speed of 80 kilometres per hour or above, to match the main traffic speed on expressways.

To facilitate enforcement, the Administration considers it necessary to have the “rated power” displayed on the vehicle licences of EVs. It is therefore proposed to amend Schedule 1 (which refers to the register of vehicles under regulation 4) and Schedule 3 (which refers to registration document under regulation 7) of Cap. 374E to require the entry of “rated power” of the electric vehicle concerned on the vehicle registration document and the vehicle licence.