TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RHD test drives in May 2014

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by markwj, May 9, 2014.

1. wslam

wslam Member

#81 wslam, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Great video! What mount did you use with the GoPro to get this angle?

2. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Around what time? I might be able to make it if it's not too early in the afternoon. I can bring the GoPro, as I have one more angle I would like to shoot: On the top of the roof, looking back :cool:

If you try to do the same, be aware where you place it, in case you intend to play with the sunroof. Either behind the aft travel of the sunroof, or on the back of the sunroof itself (the camera will just move back then).

3. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk's Director of Education

Awesome photos markwj and DITB! Thanks!

4. CCT

CCT Member

Our test drive will be 7-8pm, between two or possibly three (including myself) people if my other friend can leave office in time. You're welcome to join us and take more videos!

5. DITB

It would be great with some night time footage as well. I don't need to be in the car, I will just mount it - with the permission of yourself as well as TM - and take it off when you get back.

6. wslam

wslam Member

How did you mount the GoPro? with what mount to get this angle/perspective?

7. DITB

I used the standard GoPro suction cup, with a few extra joint. In the latest clip, it's placed just in front of the right front wheel, looking back. Next time I think it will be on the roof, towards the back, also looking backwards.

8. wslam

wslam Member

Thanks. The 'few extra joints' are probably what I want to figure out. How did you manage to orient the camera the right way up if you mount it to the side of the car? How do you rotate the camera 90 degrees?

9. DITB

#89 DITB, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    that at was with a few extra joints, maybe three or so, will upload a picture from my iPhone to show it. Edit, I don't have the camera with me, just imagine three joints and a suction cup.

If you couldn't, then you could also record the other way and rotate the video later (although the format would be wrong)

10. wslam

wslam Member

I think I understand.. Thanks.
    wrong orientation (format as you put it) will bug the crap out of me! =)

11. DITB

Just lie down when you watch it. Or get a few more joints for the GoPro.

12. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk's Director of Education

#92 lx3h, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Just a video

13. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

#93 AppleFan, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Hi all,

Just came back from my test drive at Festival Walk. Man what a rush! Not much info to be gained from the salesperson though.

Web browser: as said on the forum, the feature has been removed due to restrictions by the Transport Department.
    Google Maps: Confirmed as a "question mark", meaning unclear whether it will be in the delivery vehicles or not. When I asked "why wouldn't it be included?", he didn't know. When I asked what would be included in its place, his answer was "rumor has it that it would be an offline hard-drive based solution...". I said, "rumor has it?" He acknowledged that the information from Corporate changes all the time, so he doesn't have any more information than we do.
    Delivery schedule: He didn't have an update. He continued to say Signature cars should be end-June/early July, even though I tend to believe Linda's e-mail that Signature cars are delayed until July. When he asked me when I confirmed my order and I told him "late Feb", he said that should be early enough to make the August deliveries. I'm preparing myself for September, so that if it does arrive in August, I'd consider that a bonus.
    Charging: Because the IEC 62196 connector is larger than the US connector, the lights have been moved such that they are next to the charge port rather than around the connector. See picture below.

photo 2.JPG
    After dinner, I went to the car park to pick up my car and there was the Tesla!! So I snapped a couple more pics, including one of the license on the windshield. Thought some of you might be interested... Interesting to note the "Rated Power" is 90 kW!

photo 1.JPG

Can't wait to get my hands on my own Model S!

AppleFan

14. waidy

waidy Member

Thanks AppleFan for the photo of the Motor V License. I see that "this" particular Model S has a power rating of 90KW. That means "this" particular Model S has the first generation battery pack. The latest version has 120KW.

15. CCT

CCT Member

Seating capacity 4, how come??

16. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

The seating capacity number excludes the driver.

17. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The power rating shown is motor power, not supercharger maximum. That number would be based on documents submitted during type approval, and should be the same for all cars of that type.

18. waidy

waidy Member

Thanks for the clarification.

19. DITB

But the Performance model has 416 hp (310 kW), how does that tie in with "Rated power"? Sure it has around 90 KW - for each passenger! Well, almost, but there is quite a gap from 90 to 310.

20. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

A little bit dated now, but here is the background:

http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr11-12/english/panels/tp/papers/tp0206cb1-961-3-e.pdf