Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD test drives in May 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its friday now!!! have anyone received a confirmation from Tesla?

I was just about to write the same, then I saw your post.

Nothing here.

Unless they are using an old phone number from the "don't pick up your phone" advertisement call centres, in which case I wouldn't have answered.

Other than that, no. Neither email, phone call, telegram, pigeon or any other message I can think of.

I just called TM and talked to "TT".

She said David is in charge of these events, and that I didn't hear back, probably because it's all full (!!!). Really? I responded just after the email was out, and was quite flexible with the times - and even if I didn't make it, they wouldn't even bother to write or call and say "sorry, all full"?

When I check both reservation pages for either Disney or Crown Wine, it says

View attachment 49363

The link they mention is this page:

Tesla Pop Up at Festival Walk! | Events | Tesla Motors

-

I was now contacted by David, while writing this post, and while he kept saying all slots are full, but I can try for the Festival Walk event - yet I persisted and went back to figure out this event.

He eventually checked and said that I am not in the list of applicants at all (go figure!), and that it must be some kind of technical problem. Did I use the same email address as I am registered with? Yes indeed. And I got the confirmation on the screen (but no email back to confirm it).

So if you didn't hear anything yet, you're probably not going.

Not on this one, anyway.

While I am happy that they filled all the slot, and hence the entry of the car is causing a huge interest from potential buyers, possibly, I am disappointed that the first to sign up (as far as I know), and some of the longest time reservation holders, have been totally ignored - albeit due to ... some problem. So much for waiting patiently - duh!

I have told him we are a group of highly enthusiastic reservation holders all of whom (to my knowledge) haven't heard a thing yet. And that there will be a riot if we are not going, because they had a tech problem.

I can go any time Saturday or Sunday, and I have asked for him to schedule more times - if at all possible - before and/or after the current time frame of 10 am to 6 pm. (the sun rises before 6am, so what's the excuse?)

On a different note, from the Festival Walk event, it is unclear whether test drives run until 6 pm or 10 pm, as pr the link above, this is what the page says:

Festival Walk.jpg

In true Tesla spirit, it would be appropriate to check the system, find those that were not contacted, and then slot us in, say 8am to 10am and 6pm to 8pm (as required).

If I hear a "cannot" or some lame HK style excuse, I'll take this to TM HQ.

- - - Updated - - -

Has to be a 'maybe' for me too. I should know more later this week.

Did you hear anything?

It seems a batch of the first RVSP responders (me included), haven't even been considered - and that is why we neither received confirm, nor rejection, at this time, less than 24 hours before the first test drives start.

Has anyone here on the forum received a confirmed RHD test drive slot on 17th/18th/24th/25th of May?

In case you HAVEN'T gotten any, I suggest you call Tesla Motors HK, RIGHT NOW, and ask for David, to request a slot 8-10am or 6-8pm on 17th/18th.

TM HK, please show some true Tesla spirit here.

TM is a "CAN DO", not a "CANNOT" company.

Last edited:
Derek Shu (who is in HK at the moment), just called me and asked me to have everyone contact him directly on dshu at teslamotors.com - let him know when you booked, and possibly supply your RN32 number also. Tell him the dates/times you can make it, and he will do what he can to slot you in.

Disney facilities won't allow any alterations of the venue timings for the 17th/18th, so that's out of the question.

24th/25th, might have a few slots open, if not that, it's just Festival Walk which is possible.

In between, I suggested an improvised weeknight test drive, but he couldn't promise anything due to the test drive cars being used for engineering testing/certification (or something, probably including the HPWC testing).

Derek Shu (who is in HK at the moment), just called me and asked me to have everyone contact him directly on dshu at teslamotors.com - let him know when you booked, and possibly supply your RN32 number also. Tell him the dates/times you can make it, and he will do what he can to slot you in.

Disney facilities won't allow any alterations of the venue timings for the 17th/18th, so that's out of the question.

24th/25th, might have a few slots open, if not that, it's just Festival Walk which is possible.

In between, I suggested an improvised weeknight test drive, but he couldn't promise anything due to the test drive cars being used for engineering testing/certification (or something, probably including the HPWC testing).

Email sent, thanks DITB. Requested 24/25 and 28th and preferably back-to-back with some reservation holders.

+1 on bringing to TM HQ about TM HK's communication with existing buyers.

Originally Posted by markwj View Post
Has to be a 'maybe' for me too. I should know more later this week.

Did you hear anything?

I never booked. Quite frankly, I've had enough of test drives, and just want to drive my own car. I've driven a few LHD cars, I've sat in RHD models, I've driven around California in one, I've partied at the factory, I've toured the factory, I've sat in the audience listening to Elon and others speak about the ownership experience. I've drunk the cool-aid dry. Reserved: 23rd March 2011 - more than 3 years ago. At this point, Tesla is officially becoming a 'tease' :crying:

That said, I suggest that the best would be to see how many here are interested and can make it around 5pm to 7pm one of those days. Then, try to book a few (2, 3, 4, depending on how many want it) consecutive slots for us to go as a group (and have dinner afterwards). It might be more bearable then. I'm happy to sit in the back seat, or just wait in Dan Ryan's for you guys to finish spinning the wheels. If you need help with Tesla, and can try - just need to know where, when, names and how many.

sony, I RSVP-ed three times before and got none from them lol. You better email Derek directly.

Yeah, I emailed Derek and Linda before my 2nd RSVP. By the time I am typing this, Derek called and he get me 3:30pm on the 25th (I RSVP 24th afternoon). He said the missing RSVPs are quite random, not all in first batch.

It's somehow a good sign for Tesla. Well, bad about the IT glitch, quite embarrassing and disappointing, but good about the immense interest of the model S coming to HK in the RHD drive version.

Derek said the RVSPs were overwhelming and that they have sent out negative replies to around 40 people at the time I called him. Add to that all those of us who didn't get any email at all! Search your spam filter for David's teslamotors email (yichan@t....). I had nothing at all, searched even via web mail in all possible folders, which includes spam and deleted messages.

Derek seems to be on top of it, and taking it more serious than David/YiChan. As they are up against multiple restraints, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. I was suggesting weeknights improvised, time will show if they can release a RHD for that or not.

Like Mark, I have tried the LHD before, twice on a test drive, and once, a private owner generously not only offering me a ride, but even let me blast off his P85 in Anchorage, Alaska.

Yet it's not about that. Having waited since December 2012 for my part, this is a historic moment I don't want to miss.

I'm I going to bring my family to the venue tomorrow, probably being there from around 2pm or so. After the last test drive at 6pm, going out it dinner wherever suitable with any and every other Tesla Motors enthusiast who wants to join. PM me for phone number, or look for a gwailo in bright red Tesla sports jacket or Tshirt, showing the true Tesla spirit!

- - - Updated - - -

Email from Derek: My slot is now 24th at 17:30 at Crown Wine Cellars for me.

-

I still intend to be there tomorrow (17th) around 2pm, as noted above in bold.

Hope to to see some other enthusiasts there!

Last edited: