Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD VIN assignment and delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, spoke to Tesla today. Said that there was a a backlog in Tilburg combined wit extra checks on Xs

Not the greatest response but at least no technical or regulatory issues

Was hopeful it would leave by end of week, then takes 2 weeks to delivery.

I didn't ask, I sent an email to chase for an update because I'd been told 1st week of Jan which it already & the DS was on annual leave but when she came back in she replied to say her colleague would be calling me to set up a delivery appointment & then sure enough hour or so later I got a call saying I could pick up on the 19th & they booked me in.

I guess it could be further delayed but why make an appointment with me if they didn't know for sure cars are being released from Tilburg? They could have carried on saying they'd keep me updated when they know more which is what's been happening all December

Discosquirrel, did they say what the delay was caused by? Anything to be concerned about?

Invoice?! Pay?!

I've not read the terms and conditions but I would be reluctant to pay anything until I've viewed the X and inspected it. I would like to open the FWD when on a slope but that would be difficult.

My understanding is it's either provide proof of a finance agreement or pay cash. As I'll be paying cash they've asked me to do a BACS.

Would you seriously at this point say you don't want the car? If something doesn't work on collection - they fix it, which of course would be incredibly frustrating but if you still weren't happy they'd have to refund minus the initial deposit

Not sure having an invoice means much... There's been one sitting on my Tesla portal since 29th Dec.
Yes but I don't have an invoice in my portal - my local showroom/service centre have called me to set up a delivery appointment & they have emailed me the invoice which they have asked me to pay in advance of the 19th. So my point is, that hopefully, because they have made contact with me to set up an appointment & ask me to pay it means that the delivery appointment is actually going to happen, as opposed to previous communications of "it'll be late November, now it's early December, probably now between Xmas & new year" etc

Fingers crossed for us both! Do you think it would be worth giving your DS a nudge & say someone else in the same batch has got a delivery date - might prompt them to check out what's going on for you?

Weirdly the portal has reverted to saying I'll be getting the car late Nov-early Dec. I'm very optimistically taking this as a sign all is done & dusted & the portal has shut down because the car is making it's way to me right now! I can hope anyway

Yep, fingers crossed you get yours on 19th as that means I'm more likely to get mine around then too! I suspect we're both stuck in Tilburg for the same reason.

Would you seriously at this point say you don't want the car? If something doesn't work on collection - they fix it, which of course would be incredibly frustrating but if you still weren't happy they'd have to refund minus the initial deposit

Depends on how serious the issue is but the last thing I would do is pay in advance. I'm happy for them to fix things but that will of course take time and a further wait for me.
Last car I purchased I had the opportunity of checking everything then made the payment.

Fingers crossed for us both! Do you think it would be worth giving your DS a nudge & say someone else in the same batch has got a delivery date - might prompt them to check out what's going on for you?

Weirdly the portal has reverted to saying I'll be getting the car late Nov-early Dec. I'm very optimistically taking this as a sign all is done & dusted & the portal has shut down because the car is making it's way to me right now! I can hope anyway

Does your MyTesla still say "Your Tesla has arrived at the Tilburg Factory in the Netherlands for final assembly. Your Tesla will soon be in transit to your delivery location." or has that change to a new message?

Quick question: my MX100D was fully built by mid Nov, but has since taken a pretty unimpressive journey to where it is now, middle of the Atlantic heading for Tillberg. Lots of radio silence, wrong info, incorrect leads. Looks like I may take possession mid Feb (although before Xmas was told end Dec, then week 1 Jan, week 2 Jan, then just last week pushed back to Feb). As delivery approaches March, say I was asked to collect 20 or 22nd Feb, would it make more sense to wait till March for a '17 plate? When does the '17 reg get decided does anyone know - in Tillberg or at Heathrow? Thanks in advance

Quick question: my MX100D was fully built by mid Nov, but has since taken a pretty unimpressive journey to where it is now, middle of the Atlantic heading for Tillberg. Lots of radio silence, wrong info, incorrect leads. Looks like I may take possession mid Feb (although before Xmas was told end Dec, then week 1 Jan, week 2 Jan, then just last week pushed back to Feb). As delivery approaches March, say I was asked to collect 20 or 22nd Feb, would it make more sense to wait till March for a '17 plate? When does the '17 reg get decided does anyone know - in Tillberg or at Heathrow? Thanks in advance

I don't know for certain but I don't think cars get registered until they get to the UK.

If you're looking at mid Feb on a 66 plate I'd wait two weeks and get a 17. Tell Tesla in advance so they don't register it.

I agree , wait until March for the new reg, the car will be worth £500+ than a Feb reg when you come to sell it.

Just heard a rumour in Japan and I'm not sure this applies to Europe RHD market, but...

In 2016 Q3, Tesla manufactured RHD model X as many as possible to anticipate delivery within Q4, but there were P100D orders as well as Signatures, which doesn't necessarily have 100kWh batteries. Fremont seemed to build P100D first then 90kWh Signatures (guess there is such configuration), causing Signatures to miss the boat for Q4 delivery. Tesla didn't want to deliver P100Ds before Signatures so they waited.

I think this is completely a rumour could be somebody's speculation, but at least this logically makes sense.

I think there must be some regulatory issues for cars heading to the U.K. This resulting in delays.

I actually can't see dvla allowing hands free cruise and steering control for overtaking or just driving. Just like the BMW i3 I think the dvla will insist on steering wheel Sensors, where hands need to be holding the wheel to ensure full control in the event of a glitch. Although the car would still steer automatically, fingers would need to be in contact . For this reason I have just cancelled the enhanced autopilot
Sorry, but that is nonsense; there is not nor will be any change to the way AP works. You have always had to have your hands on the wheel - you get nagged if you don't, so of course there are sensors - and you have to use the indicator to change lane. AP2 (enhanced AP) does not claim to provide autonomous driving; the latter is a separate feature; look at the Design Studio. You can quite safely reinstate your order for AP2 (though you won't get all of its features for a while because they have not yet been implmented.

Yes, certainly; AP2 will not be any different in that respect. There's a lot of nonsense being talked here.

Initially, perhaps, but AP2 is intended to be more capable than AP1. See here:
Autopilot
"Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage."

(My emphasis)