Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rhode Island deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard that RI residents cannot pick up their cars in MA? When we got our S 3 years ago, we picked up in Watertown with no issue.

Someone on the Tesla forum posted that he had to pick up his car in Mt Kisco because RI residents can't pick up in MA. This sounds crazy to me though, as so many towns in RI are just over the MA border and we regularly buy cars in MA. Is this just for Tesla?

Mt. Kisco is minimum 3 and with traffic 4 hours from me, driving through hellacious CT traffic. I really don't want to have to get my Model 3 there.

Has anyone heard that RI residents cannot pick up their cars in MA? When we got our S 3 years ago, we picked up in Watertown with no issue.

Someone on the Tesla forum posted that he had to pick up his car in Mt Kisco because RI residents can't pick up in MA. This sounds crazy to me though, as so many towns in RI are just over the MA border and we regularly buy cars in MA. Is this just for Tesla?

Mt. Kisco is minimum 3 and with traffic 4 hours from me, driving through hellacious CT traffic. I really don't want to have to get my Model 3 there.

I'm in Maine. As I've been told (by several sources), Mass. now has a state law that if you pick up a car in Mass, you must be changed the state sales tax (6.25%) even if you don't live there. So, for everyone in New England, outside of Mass. we either have to have "home delivery" or drive to Mt. Kisco. You think that's that bad from Newport? Try driving from Maine!

Anyway, Telsa has got to get it's act together for deliveries. Metro Boston is the only place in New England where you can actually take delivery of a new Tesla? (There is a Tesla Service Center in Milford, CT, but it's strictly for "service"; no deliveries by state law, thanks to the power of the Connecticut Automobile Dealers lobbying efforts!) So, for a high population region like this, we're put at a disadvantage. Tesla needs small satellite delivery centers (a trailer office in a Wall-Mart parking lot someplace!) in New Hampshire (for ME, NH and VT) and Rhode Island (to serve RI and CT deliveries). If there are issues, we can then drive the car ourselves to Dedham (or Milford) for servicing.

I'm in Maine. As I've been told (by several sources), Mass. now has a state law that if you pick up a car in Mass, you must be changed the state sales tax (6.25%) even if you don't live there. So, for everyone in New England, outside of Mass. we either have to have "home delivery" or drive to Mt. Kisco. You think that's that bad from Newport? Try driving from Maine!

Anyway, Telsa has got to get it's act together for deliveries. Metro Boston is the only place in New England where you can actually take delivery of a new Tesla? (There is a Tesla Service Center in Milford, CT, but it's strictly for "service"; no deliveries by state law, thanks to the power of the Connecticut Automobile Dealers lobbying efforts!) So, for a high population region like this, we're put at a disadvantage. Tesla needs small satellite delivery centers (a trailer office in a Wall-Mart parking lot someplace!) in New Hampshire (for ME, NH and VT) and Rhode Island (to serve RI and CT deliveries). If there are issues, we can then drive the car ourselves to Dedham (or Milford) for servicing.

If you're more than 160 miles from Dedham (the closest to Maine you can get), they may do home delivery. (and if you had issues, you're better off driving it to Watertown, MA, Tesla's service-only, no-deliveries Service Center in MA.

Tesla just postponed their RI store/service center - I've heard because of concentrating on the ramp.

I'm going to check with my DMV. I briefly looked into picking up the car in WA to drive back - I was under the impression that if you bought out of state, you were only responsible for the difference in RI, if there was one. Not that you had to pay it twice. RI is 7% so if true, it wouldn't be much of a difference owed.

Mass. now has a state law that if you pick up a car in Mass, you must be changed the state sales tax (6.25%)
This is not a new law. This has been in place for at least 20 years, based on personal experience. I have been told that Tesla used to get around it (ahem, "flaunt it?") for MA deliveries to non-MA residents by listing the seller as "Tesla of NY" and giving the buyer a NJ temp tag. The seller did not have a MA tax permit, so no way to collect the tax. The onus was on the buyer to volunterily go to MA and pay the tax owed (guess if that ever happened). Supposedly NJ and MA came down on them for this and demanded they stop.

Tesla just postponed their RI store/service center - I've heard because of concentrating on the ramp.

I'm going to check with my DMV. I briefly looked into picking up the car in WA to drive back - I was under the impression that if you bought out of state, you were only responsible for the difference in RI, if there was one. Not that you had to pay it twice. RI is 7% so if true, it wouldn't be much of a difference owed.
Assuming RI will credit you for sales tax paid to the selling jurisdiction like most states (check with RI), you should pay 6.25% to MA, then 0.75% to RI. You'll likely need some proof of MA tax payment (presumably a line item on the bill of sale will do it).

For several years Tesla buyers in 5 out of 6 New England states have relied on unorthodox delivery methods. Frequently some anticipation angst develops, which then typically ends with exeleration and relief. Regarding NE, perhaps Tesla is borrowing from the Jeff Bezos inspired Blue Origin motto Gradatim Ferociter, meaning Step by Step Ferociously. Credit all in the past and immediate future who navigate through this process, each time putting us one owner closer to the next Tesla location in NE.

This is not a new law. This has been in place for at least 20 years, based on personal experience. I have been told that Tesla used to get around it (ahem, "flaunt it?") for MA deliveries to non-MA residents by listing the seller as "Tesla of NY" and giving the buyer a NJ temp tag. The seller did not have a MA tax permit, so no way to collect the tax. The onus was on the buyer to volunterily go to MA and pay the tax owed (guess if that ever happened). Supposedly NJ and MA came down on them for this and demanded they stop.

This sounds vaguely familiar - and why we picked up in MA with no issue 3 years ago.

I did research this a year or so when I was hoping to pick up the car in WA and drive it cross country - and that it is as you say, that you only owe the difference in RI if the tax is less in the state purchased in. I will definitely check with my DMV to make sure nothing changed.

Curious though that they seem to be "making" RI residents pick up in NY if all that's needed is a trip to the DMV to pay the difference in tax. hmmm

Hmm, this may explain the email I just got asking if I was picking up in Mt Kisco, NY. When I did a test drive in Dedham, they said Rhode Island can ask for home delivery, so not sure how or if that will delay things. Haven't heard back since replying to the email with questions about delivery. Will see what comes back.

Yes, You can opt for home delivery. From what I've heard it adds an additional 1-2 weeks depending on the delivery company's schedule.

I'm picking mine up in Mt. Kisco - decided that my work schedule (I travel) and coordinating with the 3rd party delivery company would add too much complication. So I'm taking the train to New Rochelle and then Ubering the rest of the way. However, when I asked, Tesla did offer a one way car rental, which I ended up declining since I'm making the trip solo and didn't want to drive the round trip. (and I don't have a trade in.) Picking it up next friday 9/7.

You guys that registered your cars in rhode island, the DMV website says vin check required. Did they have to check your vin? i ask because i live in louisiana and i'm moving to RI in a couple months so im debating if i should register my new Model X in RI or down here in LA and just change plates when i drive up.

Double check that you won't have any tax implications moving from LA to RI. I don't know how RI does it, but MA considers a car new and subject to sales tax if you haven't owned it for at least 6 months. So if you registered a new car in LA and moved to MA in less than 6 months, you'd need to pay MA sales tax on the purchase price. You'd probably get a credit for sales tax paid to LA.

Double check that you won't have any tax implications moving from LA to RI. I don't know how RI does it, but MA considers a car new and subject to sales tax if you haven't owned it for at least 6 months. So if you registered a new car in LA and moved to MA in less than 6 months, you'd need to pay MA sales tax on the purchase price. You'd probably get a credit for sales tax paid to LA.

Im planning on just registering the car new in RI since the time im supposed to get the car and actually move are within 60 days of each other. seems silly for me to register the car in LA and then leave a month later.

Also RI sales tax is lower so theres that ;)

It appears after some research new cars don't need inspection for 2 years or 24k miles so that's helpful.

Interesting because earlier yesterday, I received an email from an ISA in Las Vegas who was ready to set me up with a delivery. She originally mentioned Mt. Kisco, but then I corrected her when I said that the Dedham, MA SC was much closer to me (~35 miles away versus over 170 miles away). So she set me up with a delivery date of Friday September 28th at 4:00pm in Dedham. Thought that it was all set. But then today, I get an email from my IDA, who mentioned the following:

As a Rhode Island resident, we do not want you to pick up at Dedham, MA. Since Tesla is not an authorized “dealership”, every out-of-state resident is responsible for paying MA sales tax. In addition, Dedham will not be able to give you a temporary moving permit to drive your car back to Rhode Island.

Due to the above issues, we recommend picking up at Mt. Kisco, NY. That delivery center will be able to give you a 10 day moving permit, no in-state sales tax, and you will receive the car two weeks sooner than a home delivery.

Interestingly enough, when I was over at Dedham, test driving the P3D, the rep that was doing the drive with me instantly mentioned home delivery. I thought it was OK, but figured that I wouldn't mind the drive up to Dedham, and would rather be at a SC instead of at home, in case any issues were present with the car. But it looks like home delivery will be the likely option for me, as I really am not looking to throw 170+ miles on my new car.

So, after reading this thread, it looks like for New Englanders that don't reside in MA, Mt. Kisco NY or home delivery are the only options now.

--Cintoman

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
@Cintoman - yah there is a disconnect with some IDAs re: out of state buyers going to MA. From what I've seen, it's been about 50/50 on home delivery vs going to Mt Kisco. I chose the latter because I have a weird travel schedule and didn't want to have to schedule a 3rd party home delivery around that. Plus it added more time and I'm impatient. :) I also figured it was less chance for something to go wrong, and I wanted to inspect the car first. (You have to pay up front before doing home delivery.)

So I took the train from Kingston to New Rochelle and then an Uber. I actually really enjoyed the drive home, watching my AP calibrate, learning the car. IMO I wouldn't worry to much about 170 miles on your new car....you're going to be finding excuses to drive it. :D

Thanks @Bimbels for the info above. I appreciate that very much.

I just found out that I'll be receiving my car later today (Thurs, 9/27). The actual car carrier driver contacted me and we made arrangements to meet up at an exit on Route 295N, close to me (Cumberland). According to my Tesla IDA, he mentioned that I should be getting the car on Sunday. So getting it today is a pleasant surprise. I did have just a few questions regarding registering the car at the DMV, since I know this is not a typical buyer--dealership experience.

I was planning on transferring my existing RI plates from my current car to the Model 3. I was also going to pay the RI sales taxes on the car while at the DMV. I'm not sure what the DMV would need for proof of ownership for me to pay the taxes. Would the Tesla MVPA suffice or do I need anything else from Tesla, the car carrier driver, or my IDA?

Eventually, I want to also replace my existing blue wave plate with the green wave "Electric/Hybrid" plate, which I think I should be also able to do at the DMV in Woonsocket.

Wasn't sure if anyone had any insight or guidance for when I hit the Woonsocket DMV tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
-- Cintoman

I was planning on transferring my existing RI plates from my current car to the Model 3. I was also going to pay the RI sales taxes on the car while at the DMV. I'm not sure what the DMV would need for proof of ownership for me to pay the taxes. Would the Tesla MVPA suffice or do I need anything else from Tesla, the car carrier driver, or my IDA?

You need the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to prove the car has never been titled before. Tesla generally mails this to you after delivery.

Yep....thanks @tpham07 . I didn't have that so I wasn't able to register it today (Friday). Tesla is overnighting it to me. Guess it's off to the registry on Monday.

But on a great note, 911 days later....nearly 2 1/2 years after waiting in line that early morning at the Dedham SC, I finally picked up my car up around 10:45pm last night (Thursday, 9/27), directly from the car carrier. He was great, had some flood lights shining on the car as he lowered it and then backed it out of the enclosed car carrier (which I was pleasantly surprised that it was transported like that, versus your typical open car carrier). It probably must have looked like the most shady of operations....at a rest area, picking up a car...haha.

With my flashlight in hand, along with his floodlights, I did a decent inspection of the car and found no issues whatsoever. Panel gaps were perfect and everything looked great. After doing the final paperwork with the driver and talking to him for quite some time, he hopped in his truck to sleep for the night, and I took the short 2 mile drive home. Wow...what a fun drive and what an awesome car !!

The amazing thing about it, is that nearly every piece of factory "protection" was still on the car: nice plastic covering around the whole steering wheel, the center "T' covered with a transparent square of film, the piano black center console covered completely with white film, random sticker sheets and barcode sheets on the floor, stickers on the back of the front seat headrests, protective film on the center screen, and the frequently seen blue film on the outside chrome door handles. Plus many more. To some, it might be annoying to pick up their car with all of this production "residue", and that it wasn't dealer-prepped. But to me, I actually prefer it that way, and love to have all of this stuff in my car. Plus I truly enjoy removing all of this myself...something I've told dealerships before when purchasing my wife's new cars over the years, but they failed to listen to me.

Sadly, no mini Model 3 in the covered center console...have to figure out how to break it to my little nephew, as he was looking forward to getting his own Model 3 :(

Since picking up the car, I've had a smile on my face that has not gone away !!

By far, the best car I've ever owned (this coming from a now former Mercedes-Benz owner). I've heard sooo many new owners telling those that are patiently waiting for theirs, that it is SOO worth the wait. And I can now completely agree with them all.

While there have been many times where it looked like delivery day would never come, it will. And when it does, it will be soo worth it.

-- Cintoman

Reactions: mociaf9 and Nikxice
Any Rhode Island owners with recent Home Delivery experience? I'm expecting my M3 next week. Have only been in touch with the Dedham store, where I initially took a test drive. They have said the process is a bit unusual, and instructed me to ignore the scheduling request that came in via text msg yesterday.

Took delivery of my Midnight Silver/Black LR AWD this morning. I'm in RI, so this was delivery by trailer. Car was in excellent condition with the only blemish being a small abrasion on the back right corner of the roof glass panel. The truck driver texted me well in advance this morning to be sure I would be home.

Because the Dedham store can't issue RI Temp Plates, I'm going to head to the DMV tomorrow to get temps myself. Should be fun!

Communication from Tesla leading up to the day of delivery was spotty at best. I think everything is trigger based with the Delivery Rep,,as she was super responsive at key events in the process, but then did not respond to multiple emails in-between finalizing the sale and taking delivery. Once delivered, she once again immediately reached out to document that I had accepted delivery.

Can't wait to get street legal so I can do more than just loopmaround my neighborhood!

T.C.
Rhode Island