Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride dynamics with 19" vs 18" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am considering the dark standard wheel/tire package and wondered if anyone had feedback on the ride and handling difference. I like the 19's but my wife would be main driver and she loves to go curb hugging around corners. I think they actually look OK on red exterior and dark tint

My wife loves to hit cloverleafs at speed. The 19" wheels & Continentals are a lot of fun for her.

Both setups are pretty low profile (40 and 45), and the 19" 42 PSI tire pressure MAY even feel softer than an 18" wheel at standard 45 PSI pressure, though you can certainly let some air out of those to get more traction and a slightly softer ride at the expense of a little efficiency.

Unless you crave a marshmellow-soft ride—which frankly neither wheel will give you with the Model 3's sporty suspension setup—the cornering authority of the 19" wheels feels really grippy and confidence-inspiring. It feels safer than cars that roll a lot and threaten to lose traction. And it really doesn't feel harsh. Feels sporty.

I used to always choose small, practical wheels. But 2700 miles on the sport wheels have made me a fan.

Edmunds felt the same way in this video comparison of the WHEEL/TIRE COMBINATIONS when they swapped the wheels and tires and did cornering, stopping, and acceleration tests. The got better cornering (0.85->0.93 gees), stopping (133->128 feet) and even 0-60 acceleration (53->5.1 secs).

By the way, notice that both setups did much better than Consumer Report's recent braking tests.

Reactions: DefPlug
Unless you crave a marshmellow-soft ride—which frankly neither wheel will give you with the Model 3's sporty suspension setup—the cornering authority of the 19" wheels feels really grippy and confidence-inspiring. It feels safer than cars that roll a lot and threaten to lose traction. And it really doesn't feel harsh. Feels sporty.

I used to always choose small, practical wheels. But 2700 miles on the sport wheels have made me a fan.

Edmunds felt the same way in this video comparison of the WHEEL/TIRE COMBINATIONS when they swapped the wheels and tires and did cornering, stopping, and acceleration tests. The got better cornering (0.85->0.93 gees), stopping (133->128 feet) and even 0-60 acceleration (53->5.1 secs).

By the way, notice that both setups did much better than Consumer Report's recent braking tests.

Braking is almost entirely about the tires, not the wheels.

Put good summer tires on the 18s and they'll crush the 19s with all-seasons in every single test you can do above 40 degrees.

Thread should be retitled: Ride dynamics with ProContact RX vs Primacy MXM4 tires

This guy gets it.

That said I wish Tesla would offer (even as an at-the-dealer option) to actually buy decent tires with the car instead of forcing all seasons on people... they call them all seasons because they're inferior to dedicated tires...in all seasons.

So instead I'm gonna have to find someone who wants to buy barely-used MXM4s I guess :(

Braking is almost entirely about the tires, not the wheels.

Put good summer tires on the 18s and they'll crush the 19s with all-seasons in every single test you can do above 40 degrees.

This guy gets it.

That said I wish Tesla would offer (even as an at-the-dealer option) to actually buy decent tires with the car instead of forcing all seasons on people... they call them all seasons because they're inferior to dedicated tires...in all seasons.

So instead I'm gonna have to find someone who wants to buy barely-used MXM4s I guess :(

They do have a summer tire option- but it is an expensive 20" Michelin Pilot 4S. A 19" summer tire option would be great.

Tirerack sells the Pilot Sport 4S in sizes the match the 18" and 19" wheels, but they have UTQG ratings of 300. The 20" tire has a UTQG rating of 500 plus has the "Tesla Acoustic Tech". I'd like to see Michelin make the PS4S in 235/45R18 with a UTQC rating of 500 and "Tesla Acoustic Tech"