Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP #994

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so sorry for your loss and the loss to the Roadster community which we all feel as evidenced by the outpouring of support. Those of us who drive these beautiful and historically meaningful cars on a daily basis know there is always a risk that something will happen, that we are taking a chance each time we take to the roads. Yet, the alternative, keeping them safely locked up in a garage, is not a better alternative (except perhaps on particularly dangerous driving days with snow, ice or rain). Keeping them clean and safe in a garage fails to achieve one of their missions which has been to herald the mainstreaming of sustainable transport -- to show people that an electric car can be an object of desire and be fun, fast, and travel long ranges. The Roadster does this effectively because it is really a head turner. The emergence of Model 3 and its high demand demonstrates tremendous progress towards Tesla's mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. Thank you for being a part of the history of this transition.

In sorrow,
#557, your Thunder Grey twin

I am so sorry for your loss and the loss to the Roadster community which we all feel as evidenced by the outpouring of support. Those of us who drive these beautiful and historically meaningful cars on a daily basis know there is always a risk that something will happen, that we are taking a chance each time we take to the roads. Yet, the alternative, keeping them safely locked up in a garage, is not a better alternative (except perhaps on particularly dangerous driving days with snow, ice or rain). Keeping them clean and safe in a garage fails to achieve one of their missions which has been to herald the mainstreaming of sustainable transport -- to show people that an electric car can be an object of desire and be fun, fast, and travel long ranges. The Roadster does this effectively because it is really a head turner. The emergence of Model 3 and its high demand demonstrates tremendous progress towards Tesla's mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. Thank you for being a part of the history of this transition.

In sorrow,
#557, your Thunder Grey twin
Well said, ViviV. That's probably the nicest eulogy for a car I've ever read.

Reactions: hcsharp
RIP #994. After 4 months at the body shop, they have declared my Roadster a total loss. So I have some items for sale. All are in excellent condition and lightly used.

HC Sharp Can. $600
Roadster car cover $300
120 volt charge cable. BO
Sorry for your loss. My roadster is the same color so it hits me all the more. Anyway, I'm possibly interested in the 120v charge cable as I don't have one. $100?

Thanks for the condolences. I ran into the back of a truck. I'll post pictures later. Fortunately no one was hurt.

I was literally in tears. It was a beautiful car. I am saddened to think it will be lost forever.

The vehicle is going to Copart in Elgin, IL. However, you'll need to have a dealer or builders license to purchase. I will contact State Farm to see if they will sell it to me.

Many of the parts needed to repair it are with the car. The problem is the is damage to the body under the windshield frame. Tesla told them it can't be repaired. I would love to see someone repair it to keep this beautiful car alive.
So you killed it

If you go your own way trying to repair it be forewarned that a salvage title tends to get you cut off from usual repair help.

Roadster parts are scarce enough trying to do minor repairs on a working car, but a non drivable salvage project car tends to get the cold shoulder from Tesla parts / service.

Best of lucking getting it back in working condition. I expect it will be an adventure based on what I have heard from other people who embarked on similar projects.

I'd also be add with any tub damage to a Lotus they tend to total those too.

Even fairly minor damage and the general thinking is to put a new tub in, not try and patch / weld / etc. etc. It's just not worth would could happen later down the line.

At which point you basically have a full strip down and rebuild, so it's just not worth it in most cases. (And that's assuming you can even buy a new Roadster tub nowadays.)

Shame really, was a lovely looking car. I guess parts of it will still live on in other Roadsters though!

(And if the central air-vent cowl that allows you to use a double Din radio, comes up for sale, I'd be very tempted for use in a Roadster's distant cousin ;) )

RIP #994. After 4 months at the body shop, they have declared my Roadster a total loss. So I have some items for sale. All are in excellent condition and lightly used.

HC Sharp Can. $600
Roadster car cover $300
120 volt charge cable. BO

Very sorry to hear about this loss. Looks like a truly beautiful roadster.

Is the car cover in good shape? Would you take $250 for it? If so, sold.

Hi, NomoC8.

I’m sorry about your roadster. I hope State Farm was fair to you in the settlement. I did see her on Copart and in candor am/was interested in her. I have the resources, contact and ability to resurect her. However, I am waivering aftet reading your post about the battery being toast. Would you kind expanding on that please? If in fact, the battery is a goner, that is most certainly a deal breaker.

Thank you,
Rick