Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they are switching to a mode where they surprise with things when they are ready instead of promising future stuff.

Overall, I view this as positive for the company.

As someone that purchased FSD, I'm a bit more concerned. But, I did view it as a gamble at the time. Went in "eyes open" one would say.

Reactions: preilly44
My (rarely accurate) prediction.

Tesla will release FSD in several tranches.

!. Everyone who has autopilot and 2.0-2.5 hardware will get some of the enhancements. 2.5 will get some that 2.0 will not.
They will be offered to upgrade to FSD and the new computer when it is available at a price to be determined by Tesla.

2. Those with paid FSD at the time of release will receive the new computer if they wish at no cost. Will enable all the then available FSD enhancements, with OTA updates to follow when available.

3. Since new vehicles will not currently be FSD capable, it may no longer be available as a prepaid option, but the customer may need to wait until the new computer is available to see if they would wish to purchase it.

I then learned that when Tesla wants to abandon development of a feature they simply remove all references to said feature.

Yeah, we need a Tesla centric way back machine. One that takes screenshots of Teslas website and keeps them in a wiki. Ever tried to figure out what options and prices were available on a used Tesla or if the Tech package included folding mirrors or fog lights for a mid-year 2013 Model? Good luck.

They will even change the documents in your My Tesla account, like the warranty or service agreements. They just link to the latest one, not necessarily the one that was valid when you bought the car.

Reactions: kbecks13
I tend to give more credit to Elon for the great things he has accomplished. Not go over every thing he has ever said or written and focus on the things that did not work out as well as he had envisioned.

Some of the failures of Elon tower over the successes of others.

Reactions: PA ZU
Even thought FSD has been removed from the options section in my car’s details on the website my MVPA on the website still has it listed, including the price I paid for it. I had downloaded the MVPA a few weeks ago. If you haven’t I’d recommend you do it now.

Reactions: Drax
Tesla offering FSD refits for 3000-5000 is a mistake.

Tesla has made many product offering mistakes that they took away.

60D software batteries. Removed.
Bio defense independent of PUP package. Removed.
85PL retrofit. Removed.
Tow kit retrofit. Removed.
Ventilated seats. Removed.
Active spoilers. Removed.

FSD refits at a discount. Removed.

I’m sure I’ve missed other examples but this should be clear enough that the removal
of retrofit FSD option is for the betterment of Tesla and consumers for the long run.

Only difference there was when they removed it, all those cases at least you got something for what you paid for. If it turns out FSD is not going to be available anytime soon, people will surely be upset. Either people will be thrilled when they only got FSD for $3K or upset that they got nothing in return.

Tesla offering FSD refits for 3000-5000 is a mistake.

Tesla has made many product offering mistakes that they took away.

60D software batteries. Removed.
Bio defense independent of PUP package. Removed.
85PL retrofit. Removed.
Tow kit retrofit. Removed.
Ventilated seats. Removed.
Active spoilers. Removed.

FSD refits at a discount. Removed.

I’m sure I’ve missed other examples but this should be clear enough that the removal
of retrofit FSD option is for the betterment of Tesla and consumers for the long run.

Just to add one more mistake.

Battery Swap Program for Model S. Removed.

Tesla advertised how Model S battery swap is faster than Mercedes S class refueling at gas station. It didn't last long.

Oddly, the description page for the Model 3 (Model 3 | Tesla) still says:

"Every new Model 3 comes standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Enhanced Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future—through software updates designed to improve functionality over time."

and

"All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at a safety level we believe will be at least twice as good as the average human driver."

Seems like that should make it hard for them to charge anybody for the necessary hardware upgrade for FSD (and, since they no longer list FSD as an option, could mislead folks into thinking that the software upgrades are also included gratis). But, it's Tesla, so I suspect they'll find a way.