Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risk with buying form TMC classifieds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
Sorry, 1st time buying something and cant find any thing in my searches , so thought I would just ask .

I am getting ready to buy some wheels and tires from a member who has been here for multiple years .

I have NO indication of anything wrong but I thought it would not hurt to ask before as opposed to after making transaction . We are going to use PayPal for payment

Any tips or advice?? Its a lot of money to send to some one .lol

PS- really sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
there is always "risk" with..anything. However, using Paypal (and not using the friends/family option) mitigates some of that risk...
Completely agree with @2101Guy
Definitely DO NOT use the Friends and Family option for merchandise transactions. That's #1 for advise; even if you become coached to do so by any seller. Its nothing specific about the forum, a member, etc. Avoid Friends and Family for any merchandise transaction thru PayPal -- read the fine print which says there is no recourse.
All that said...
Fortunately, most of the folks you will find here on the forums are helpful owners.
Best of luck with your purchase.
-TechVP

Reactions: Alset2
Sorry, 1st time buying something and cant find any thing in my searches , so thought I would just ask .

I am getting ready to buy some wheels and tires from a member who has been here for multiple years .

I have NO indication of anything wrong but I thought it would not hurt to ask before as opposed to after making transaction . We are going to use PayPal for payment

Any tips or advice?? Its a lot of money to send to some one .lol

PS- really sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.
You should probably stay off the internet if you don’t know how to handle this type of transaction.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Have already made transaction. Like I said in the OP, I would rather ask before than after and have everyone tell me something bad AFTER the purchase..lol

I have no issue making on line transactions, I also have no issue asking a community that I am newly a part of a simple question (which thank you for the confirmation of my feelings about this community).

I made the transaction with derchio02 before I saw he posted here. Top notch communication which also reinforced my gut about being trustworthy .

Anyway, thanks all for your time, and I continue to appreciate all of the wisdom (and entertainment at times) .

1. Out of state company to perform vehicle inspection. I was in OH, seller in WA, and inspector came from OR, that way no shenanegans.

2. Escrow. com. I cannot emphasize enough how important is using an escrow holder, that way the seller only gets paid if you are confident that the car matches his description.

Read the enthusiast car forums and Ebay discussions. Plenty of good ideas.

And lastly remember, if it is too good of a deal, it is a scam.
Also avoid getting lured into visiting the seller if out of town, or take a gorilla with you.