Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian has bought ABRP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That Rivian didn't just use the ABRP API and "stick to their knitting" suggests some combination of: they want that data, they want a lot of custom features, they're control freaks, or they're making a management mistake.

We won't need ABRP if/when Tesla adds a few more features for planning long routes like approximating road conditions for a future date/time and setting a min. destination SoC.

ABRP has a key feature that recommends a speed limit to get through a long stretch. I used that for Kingman AZ to the Grand Canyon. But Tesla's realtime prediction for that segment proved to be more accurate, perhaps because I no longer have ABRP logged in to my Tesla account.

Q. Does the Rivian news make anyone more reluctant to log ABRP into their Tesla account?

Reactions: VQTRVA
I don't know if I would put it that way but: the data. They have a lot of data on all EVs, and Tesla are probably the bulk of them. They have charging curves in various conditions on all types of chargers, The have consumption in all conditions, with and without trailers etc. Data is king these days.
Yes!
The data if tagged to Tesla will be a treasure trove of analytics.

We won't need ABRP if/when Tesla adds a few more features for planning long routes like approximating road conditions for a future date/time and setting a min. destination SoC.

ABRP has a key feature that recommends a speed limit to get through a long stretch. I used that for Kingman AZ to the Grand Canyon. But Tesla's realtime prediction for that segment proved to be more accurate, perhaps because I no longer have ABRP logged in to my Tesla account.
ABRP is key for me because it lets me plan a trip from my desktop, and I can adjust it to see how the route may change if I take it in the winter vs. the summer, rain vs. clear, etc. I never use it in my car. I did use it in my Lightning via Android Auto but the interface and routing display was lousy.

ABRP is key for me because it lets me plan a trip from my desktop, and I can adjust it to see how the route may change if I take it in the winter vs. the summer, rain vs. clear, etc. I never use it in my car. I did use it in my Lightning via Android Auto but the interface and routing display was lousy.

Same with me. Hope Tesla rises to the occasion and releases their own, Tesla data backed service.

Reactions: dusty22
I use ABRP for planning before I start a trip (usually not in the middle of a trip). Generally not in the car, and aside from some experimentation, never with my Tesla credentials. I'm fine continuing to use it in this way.

If the (at the moment still unconfirmed) Rivian acquisition makes you uncomfortable, maybe take a look at EV Trip Optimizer, a similar tool that I've used before.

(No connection with either service other than as a satisfied user.)

Bruce.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the concern. Even with the data collection aspect.

All of the concerns listed just means potentially better support for Tesla vehicles on whatever charging networks Rivian partners with - including their own. Maybe Rivian can make better vehicles from some of the charging and consumption data. So what? It’s not proprietary. Rivian still has to build their tech and compete. None of this concerns me.

ABRP is very useful before the trip, as a trip planner, to see how things will go. You can do that in the comfort of your house, on a laptop or cell phone. See if there are enough superchargers (or alternatives like CCS) on your route, how many stops it should take etc. You absolutely don't need to follow that route exactly once you leave home. A while back it was great at accounting for weather and elevation whereas the Tesla gps was bad at that but since then these gaps have been addressed.
The Tesla navigation is still the best once you leave, to navigate to the next charger, get real-time alerts of closures and occupancy etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah

[B]GtiMart[/B] Has it correct. Additional ABRP features: Some may be for subscription only.

1. Set your departure time so you can plan meal and overnight stops along trips.
2. Set you departing state of charge.
3. Allows you to designate overnight stops and adjust for hotel level 2 charging.
4. You can save route plans.
5. Shows you in real time Supercharger status with number of available stalls.
6. Calculates approximate supercharger pricing for trip
7. Bypass or choose specific Superchargers
8. Change to another vehicle so you can help your friend, new to EVs plan their trip.
9. Designate specific way points. Works great to calculate a route deep into certain national parks, rather than the address of the entrance.
10. Configure the vehicle for prospective load weight and weather conditions.

I have been a paying member of ABRP since the very beginning. I have done over 200,000 miles, and five, over 4,500 mile road trips.
Don't get me wrong, I also love the multiple waypoint capabilities of the built in Tesla nav. I use it all the time including for the route I planned with ABRP.

Reactions: Genie and bmah
ABRP has some key planning features including:
  • set the min %SoC arriving at chargers and destinations (if you want more headroom for the unexpected)
  • prefer more frequent, shorter charging stops and shorter legs (and stretch your own legs more often) vs. less frequent, longer stops and longer legs
  • it recommends a max speed when needed to reach the next stop (like the last leg from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon south entrance)
Tesla's routing will eventually handle these features.

Thanks all Pros. Greatly appreciated. I played around with it on my desktop to get some ideas what the heck its capability is. I have my 2023 MYLR since end of Nov 2022 and I have only driven it to DC from Phila

(Tesla's routing will eventually handle these features.)? Not sure what that meant. Please elaborate. Thanks

In the Tesla phone app, you can tap on Location then Navigate, and plan a route to a destination. They've added the ability to set a different starting location, starting battery %SoC level, and departure or arrival time.

It'll estimate the travel time and arrival battery level.

This feature does not yet let you add waypoints, set the minimum arrival battery %, request more frequent stops, etc. I expect they'll add such features eventually.

Currently it's willing to drive for 4 hours and arrive with 2% battery! I'm not going to do that. Finding a Supercharger along the way is a good way to find a restroom.

BTW when stopping at a hotel for the night, I plan that as a waypoint towards the next Supercharger. That ensures there's enough charge to get to the Supercharger, assuming Sentry mode is off.