Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road closure routing PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joe F

Disruption is hard.
Sep 19, 2016
Outside Philly
Interesting: I95 detours through I95 in South Carolina due to hurricane Florence flooding are not being handled properly by Google maps, Waze or the online Tesla trip planner as of 9 AM today. All happily route through the closed road segments. Waze from my location just says "no route found."

I have not checked the route in the MS, but will check it out later today.

The surprising thing I found: Apple maps properly routed around the closures!

Using the Gen 1 NAV software last year, we were surprised at how well it adapted to road closures when we were evacuating Houston during Harvey.

During our drive, we were using Google maps to help us identify road closures - and were pleasantly surprised to see that the Gen 1 NAV software onboard was giving us exactly the same route - avoid those roads that were already closed.

I expect the Gen 2 NAV software will do even better, since routing is done on a cloud server, which should have even more up-to-date information to use for the routing.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Using the Gen 1 NAV software last year, we were surprised at how well it adapted to road closures when we were evacuating Houston during Harvey.
Thanks. Good to hear!

While I didn't get a chance yesterday to check the nav in the S, I checked around noon today and was relieved to see it routed around the closed sections of I95 in both North and South Carolina.

Waze and Google as of a few minutes ago still bad (Waze just giving up trying to find a route.)

Checking the Tesla.com trip page today partially worked in that it picked the proper detour in SC, but in NC tried to route through a closed section of I95.

I'm now thinking none are as dynamic to closures as I thought they'd be, so in a rapidly changing situation they could be unreliable.

I'm fairly sure Waze would have worked better if I were actually driving in the area and it had a smaller area to search, but trying to route from Philly to Florence, SC it failed.

I also checked routing through fairly local roads that have been closed for construction for a while now, and all tools worked properly.

Reactions: pedriscoll