Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road force balancing - are these appropriate numbers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been experiencing a vibrational noise when driving 50+mph on smooth roads. Took my model 3 for a road force balancing, said there was only a 1/4 of an ounce that he had to add to one of the tires. This did not fix the vibrational noises. The tires have no feathering or abnormal wear, and I could find no other culprit.
Anyway, heres the road force balancing numbers. Is it normal to have a differential between the front and rear tires like this (2 vs 8 lbs)?
IMG_7261.jpeg

Those look like good numbers to me.
I once had a Pontiac G8 GT that ate up tires. The OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs (cop tires) had shifted belts at only 18K miles. One of them read 28 lbs. on a road force balancer. The vibration was pretty noticeable but even at those numbers did not shake the car apart.

An earlier post I made. Consider this possibility;

Constant vibration - cannot pin down

Reactions: Yozer34
Those are very good numbers! And yes, that is not a bad spread for road force numbers. I have a Hunter Roadforce GSP9700 balancer and set my Road Force limit to 16 lbs for my Tesla's. I do not have the Straight Track option, so I put the higher road force numbers on the rear and lower on the front. The display is showing exactly how they should be mounted on the car. (Kind of does away with the thought of rotating tires...)

You say you have a vibrational noise...not necessary vibration. Could be just the tread noise on the road surface. I know I hear this when I am running the Michelin Cross Climate tires on either of my cars. I hear what sounds like the noise you are describing, especially on smooth surface roads; like a harmonic interference pattern to me.

Nether the Pirelli P Zero AS with Elect Markings or OEM Michelin MXM4 make this sound. The tread is very different on the Cross Climates.

Reactions: rpiotro and Yozer34