Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise at highway speeds coming from wheel wells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think if you put a few sandbags in the back, right over the rear wheels/ engine, that will fix all the noise problems for you. Also, much better traction in snow/ice! I'm glad I don't have an ownership heritage of a Lexus to make me fussy about whether the Model S is a step up. hey, if it bothers you, remember, the stereo goes to 11.

I've been looking for the thread with photos of a sound deadening added to a Model S
I thought it was a cab company and there where lots of pictures of the car disassembled and sound attenuation added.
Can anyone point me to the thread ?
I'm thinking of doing something in the rear trunk area.

Get Michelin Pro Sport A/S plus. I drove a Tesla with P Zero and had a little road noise when I replaced them with the Pro Sport I had Absolutely no road noise.

Are you driving on roads that are noisy in general? We have some really exposed aggregate concrete highways in the NW.

$275 seems high, did you get a better price by chance?

Michelin tires.PNG

I agree that the tires are the biggest influence on road noise. The winter tires I would choose without regard to noise. I do not want a new Tesla. The summer tires are an open question. Are the Michelin A/S sport good traction wise and efficiency wise?

Are you driving on roads that are noisy in general? We have some really exposed aggregate concrete highways in the NW.

$275 seems high, did you get a better price by chance?

View attachment 27596

That is actually the lowest price I've seen (they usually go for around 500 each). where did you find that?
I drive on a vast majority of roads, because there is always roads in middle of construction in NY

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that the tires are the biggest influence on road noise. The winter tires I would choose without regard to noise. I do not want a new Tesla. The summer tires are an open question. Are the Michelin A/S sport good traction wise and efficiency wise?

They were best rated tires by numerous sources. They are by far the best i have driven.

The car we test drove at the mall (first model S driving experience) was a P85 with 20" tires. The car was very loud at highway speeds, I don't know why.

We chose 19" inch Primacy, then liberally added HushMat to all areas suspicious of transmitting road noise into the cabin.

Result is great, way quieter.

The car we test drove at the mall (first model S driving experience) was a P85 with 20" tires. The car was very loud at highway speeds, I don't know why.

We chose 19" inch Primacy, then liberally added HushMat to all areas suspicious of transmitting road noise into the cabin.

Can you post some photos of the HushMat install ?

Can you post some photos of the HushMat install ?

@Zapped, I did not take photos during the install (and I know the risk, no picture = no hushmat) but it is true, lol. They installed a lot of it in all the problem areas reported in the forums (vg. wheel wells).

I can point you to the HushMat manufacturer website. To me it is a great product and it did reduce the noise. Nevertheless, IMHO it is a bit overpriced.

No conflict of interest, I do not receive any benefit whatsoever (even though I should, lol). Who installed it? Antonio from AvenueSound in Long Island, NY.

Last edited:
I was wondering where exactly they installed the material and how much work is was to install. I did see an install video and they put sound proofing inside the doors on the car they were showing.
Was considering if this could be a DIY project and photos would help.

If I may ask, how much did it cost to do your Model S ?

I was wondering where exactly they installed the material and how much work is was to install. I did see an install video and they put sound proofing inside the doors on the car they were showing.
Was considering if this could be a DIY project and photos would help.

If I may ask, how much did it cost to do your Model S ?

@zapped, sorry for the lengthy delay
I did not have the inside of the doors hushmatted, but instead inside the trunk by the sides, wheel wells.
Maybe is a DIY if you know where exactly to install it. The material itself is just peel and stick, but I had it
professionally done because I guessed they (or most humans) could do it better (faster, cheaper) than me
Cost...about 800 bucks? or like 1,200? can not recall exactly right now, but will look for the receipt.

Additionally, will try to pry open an area under the trunk inside covers to show in a pic the material.

I was reading an article on another part of the TMC Forum where I found that a number of owners were having problems with the drive inverter unit. See link here http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...-tesla-model-s-drive-unit-iv-the-milling.html

From the link, a drive inverter failed approx every 10,000 miles or so.

I am from Australia where the Model S is just appearing on the streets for test drives with cars arriving for customers from September. If this problem happens to be more widespread, then there are worrying times for some customers (down here) who have paid from $120,000 to $180,000 for their Model S cars

I am just an enthusiast for the time being who is looking at the Gen 3 car as a possible replacement for my current ICE car

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to add to my notes above that from what I read, the drive inverter started making excessive noise after 10,000 miles. Not that it totally failed