Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent my first time as a passenger in the rear of our M3 LR AWD. Was very surprised at level of road noise. Do Tesla use any isolation anywhere to stop road rumble from transferring through the body?

At the front, I had thought that wind noise was the issue, but that pales into insignificance compared to sitting in the rear.

It wasn't as if the noise was resonating around the luggage compartment - that was full so probably very low amount of resonance.

Has anyone sat in rear of their car and get a similar level of rumble? I know there is no engine noise to mask other noises, but I don't think I have had a modern car with this level of noise. And a few of them have been convertibles. If it wasn't a new car, I would say a wheel bearing was on its last legs.

What's the sound deadening like under the rear seats and in the boot? I had to add some weight to various panels in my Octavia to kill some resonance that aws causing ear discomfort at around the 60mph mark.
Before
20160419_144902.jpg

After
20160419_151011.jpg

Did that help a bit or a lot?
The Octavia boot is pretty cavernous so seemed to amplify the noise when empty. What also helped was slightly adjusting the boot stoppers out a little as there was some bounce there too.

Funnily enough I had a call from someone who'd seen my car for sale on AutoTrader - they had bought the same model with same wheels and were suffering the same issue so wanted to know how I'd resolved it :D