Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean that there is enough energy expended to displace a fraction of an inch of water under the tires to make an appreciable difference? Wow.

Yes indeed. Pushing water is hard work, especially with today's trend towards wider tires. Hydroplaning occurs when the pressure of the wedge of water that builds up in front of the tire equals the inflation pressure of the tire. As Snort says, it doesn't take much depth to really impact energy usage.

Road trips do need more planning than with an ICE. I have only taken two so far from Indy, one to Chicago and one to Pittsburg. Chicago was fairly easy, just needed to take into account about 45 minutes for charging. Pittsburgh was a far different matter. Normally it is about a 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive from Indy (roughly 375 miles) There are charging stations at Dayton (110 miles from Indy) Columbus (181 miles from Indy) and Tridelphia (150 miles from Columbus and about 50 miles from Pittsburgh). On the way out I charged at Columbus and Tridelphia, about 45 minutes at each, which did add more than 90 minutes to the trip due to the fact that both chargers were a bit off the direct route. Coming home I charged at Tridelphia for 35 minutes, Columbus for 40 min, and Dayton for 15 minutes. It was a hotter day coming home and did need that last 15 min in Dayton to make it home with 40 miles rated charge.

The car is wonderfully comfortable on the road but more than 3 extra hours round trip is significant. None of the charging stations really had a decent restaurant within walking distance, so that added more time. I hope to plan future trips a bit better but in some cases an ICE car (Avalon Hybrid with 600 mile range) may be a better option for us.