Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Range with Bike or Cargo Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is redundant. A search did not find any similar threads.

We are taking our first real road trip in our 2019 Model X. We are considering a Cargo Tray Hitch Rack or a Hitch Bike Rack with 2 bikes. Both would be under the recommended 120lb max weight.

Has anybody kept track of how these racks negatively affect range? It would seem a cargo rack in back would be much more aerodynamic than a roof rack and the bikes should not affect airflow that much. I would assume both would have a minimal effect, but I could be way off. Any experience based information would be greatly appreciated.

You will lose some range just due to the extra weight. It's hard to calculate because I would assume the different road grades you will come across on your trip. I do carry my 50lb ebike on a 35lb bike rack often, and it does "feel" heavier, or more wing drag, when driving since the wheels do stick out beyond the profile of the rear a little, but that could just be in my head.

Reactions: Lee K.
I use a Thule 665c cargo carrier and I do not notice any lost range with it. FYI - once you have something in the hitch, Auto Pilot goes out the door :( We travel often in the summer to a family house about 4 hours away and I'm always sad when I cant use AP.

Also, there is a weird software bug that when you have something in the hitch, you always get an audible and screen warning when coming to a stop that Park Assist is unavailable. It's really, really annoying.

I use a Thule 665c cargo carrier and I do not notice any lost range with it. FYI - once you have something in the hitch, Auto Pilot goes out the door :( We travel often in the summer to a family house about 4 hours away and I'm always sad when I cant use AP.
Also, there is a weird software bug that when you have something in the hitch, you always get an audible and screen warning when coming to a stop that Park Assist is unavailable. It's really, really annoying.

It might automatically engage tow mode, but you can turn it off. At least it used to (I haven't pulled my trainer since last fall). I also thought it was based upon the trailer light connector being plugged in.

My 1Up bike rack lives in my hitch. Autopilot works perfectly. Yes I also get the Park Assist warning. No chime. Not bothered.

I’ve never tested the range effects. More weight and less aero so to some extent yes it does affect the range. I’ve never not made it to the next SuperCharger.

Enjoy your trip.

My 1Up bike rack lives in my hitch. Autopilot works perfectly. Yes I also get the Park Assist warning. No chime. Not bothered.

I’ve never tested the range effects. More weight and less aero so to some extent yes it does affect the range. I’ve never not made it to the next SuperCharger.

Enjoy your trip.

I bet that the 1Up doesn't have lights? I believe once you have a light connected is disables AP...

I will have to see where the setting is to turn off the Park Assist Warning Chime.

20200709_151243[1].jpg
1000 mile road trip with the new cargo tray and we did not notice any change in the range. AP worked fine. Same parking warning, but it was not an issue.

I would add that, unlike my Escalade, it was great to be able to see the cargo in the rear view camera continuously. Great way to keep an eye on the straps and potential shifting. All in all, very happy.

Last edited:
We had to move a truck tool box from my son's house 60 miles south and had no power impact (291 wh/mi @ 55mph). We set it on a cheap Tractor Supply hitch rack and strapped it on with two cargo straps The was little to no airflow moving the straps during the trip. It is a 60" x 24" x 19 high lightweight aluminum box. So with 15 extra cubic feet of cargo space a lot of fun can be had at no cost to range.
Tesla Box 20.jpg