Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster needs to be charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I am moving my brothers roadster (#369) to the Bay Area. It had been garaged in New Orleans through last year and no one charged it for a good 8+ months. Now he is unable to trickle charge and is not able to trickle charge it. He feels the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. I decided to get it shipped and try to revive it on a 220 charger.
Has anyone had a similar issue. Do we have to change the batteries completely. Are there any 3rd party companies that can provide a replacement battery. Is Tesla completely hands off on these issues. I would like to get the Roadster working with help of any technician. Please advise.

Naren

Hi
I am moving my brothers roadster (#369) to the Bay Area. It had been garaged in New Orleans through last year and no one charged it for a good 8+ months. Now he is unable to trickle charge and is not able to trickle charge it. He feels the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. I decided to get it shipped and try to revive it on a 220 charger.
Has anyone had a similar issue. Do we have to change the batteries completely. Are there any 3rd party companies that can provide a replacement battery. Is Tesla completely hands off on these issues. I would like to get the Roadster working with help of any technician. Please advise.

Naren
It it likely a total loss. I had the same problem. I was able to get a new battery from Tesla, but it took over a year. And 20K. That was about 3 years ago. I hear there is still very few batteries available with a very long backlog.

Unfortunately pauld2002 is correct, 8+ months is 5 months past best case. the + months do not help. That being said a lot of new batteries may become available with the 3.0 rollout, however the fact they cannot warranty the pack may mean they do not offer them for resale.

8 months ago is not that bad. More than likely it can be revived but you're not going to do it with a 240v charger. You need to have special equipment. I strongly recommend @ML Auto 's advice - ship it to somebody who knows how to bring it back to life.

This seems like a good thread to mention my recent experience. We put our Roadster into storage at a premium car storage place here in San Diego. (Generally happy, referrals if anyone cares.) But they had no experience with Roadsters, they plugged it in to 120v and didn't realize it wasn't actually charging. When I went to give it some fun two weeks ago I first had to drive it home to charge. I took it back on Sunday evening still low on charge but plugged in and charging on 120v; it took me a few tries to get the GFCI to reset and stay engaged. Well, apparently soon after I left, or when they moved it, not sure which, the GFCI died completely. I went to check everything on Monday and the car was in the red. I remembered the advice to just replace the plug, but I'm in a sling now for rotator cuff repair. One of the employees there said his father had a Tesla and would happily replace the plug for me. So I looked up the old threads here and passed them over and he did it. Very helpful and the car is now happy.

Reactions: Roadster
Any premium car storage facility these days should certainly consider installing at least a couple L2 chargers for their valued customers as I'm sure you'll have a Taycan, Nevera or even new Roadster joining you at some point. Perhaps ask if they'd do that for you instead of relying on that woeful SMC?

This is not an ad for Gruber but taken from an email they sent me -

Today’s topic - ESS Battery Pack Declining Range

Roadster ESS Battery Packs are going on 10-13 years of age. A declining range issue is the new uptick in service for these legacy vehicles.
Individual cell failure, often one out of 6831 cells causes this often rapid declining range. Some customers who are used to seeing a predictable 150-175 miles range after a standard mode charge, are now seeing a loss of miles after each charge.

What is going on?What is happening is one of the cells is going resistive in a brick (99 bricks per pack). Since all 69 cells in a brick are connected in parallel, that one declining LI-Ion cell pulls down the brick, and since the Roadster Battery Management System (BMS) only charges to the lowest brick for safety reasons, a range decline is the result.

Option 1Take the Roadster to a Tesla Service Center. This will result in a diagnosis, usually corroborating a battery brick with a dying cell. There is also no external fix for this condition. Once a cell decline starts, is irreversible, and if left unattended by either life support (injecting DC voltage to keep the brick above 2VDC), or an immediate battery pull to isolate the bad cell, this condition will result in a dead pack, usually within one or three months.

The Tesla Service Centers are not equipped to do battery teardowns at the SC level. A battery pack replacement option will now be presented:
1 – Become a candidate for the new 3.0 replacement battery pack for around $29K. Recent customer quotes are projecting a 6 month wait for this long term solution.

Option 2If you have not taken your Roadster to a Service Center, email us a log file from the car. We can provide you a detailed analysis what is going on under the hood.
We have advanced log file parsing software that will pinpoint precisely which sheet and brick are failing, and provide degradation rates which helps establish inevitable brick timelines. We provide this service for free to the Roadster community. Click for instructions.

Our repair processFor us, this is a simple a sheet/brick straightforward battery repair.
Despite aged packs going on 10-12 years, the majority of owners are still able to drive their cars, and we have not yet reached a point where the packs just shut down from age. Although there will at some point be an expiration date, yet to be determined, an ESS pack repair is often preferred, since it allows the customer to continue to drive their Roadster, until a replacement pack from Tesla, is necessary.

As always, we work with Tesla Service Centers, and the customer, handling and coordinating Roadster transport.

Feel free to reach out to us for log file support, bricked Roadster CPR and immediate response, or just Roadster tech support and collaboration. 623-433-850

Reactions: markwj
This is not an ad for Gruber but taken from an email they sent me -

Today’s topic - ESS Battery Pack Declining Range

Roadster ESS Battery Packs are going on 10-13 years of age. A declining range issue is the new uptick in service for these legacy vehicles.
Individual cell failure, often one out of 6831 cells causes this often rapid declining range. Some customers who are used to seeing a predictable 150-175 miles range after a standard mode charge, are now seeing a loss of miles after each charge.

What is going on?What is happening is one of the cells is going resistive in a brick (99 bricks per pack). Since all 69 cells in a brick are connected in parallel, that one declining LI-Ion cell pulls down the brick, and since the Roadster Battery Management System (BMS) only charges to the lowest brick for safety reasons, a range decline is the result.

Option 1Take the Roadster to a Tesla Service Center. This will result in a diagnosis, usually corroborating a battery brick with a dying cell. There is also no external fix for this condition. Once a cell decline starts, is irreversible, and if left unattended by either life support (injecting DC voltage to keep the brick above 2VDC), or an immediate battery pull to isolate the bad cell, this condition will result in a dead pack, usually within one or three months.

The Tesla Service Centers are not equipped to do battery teardowns at the SC level. A battery pack replacement option will now be presented:
1 – Become a candidate for the new 3.0 replacement battery pack for around $29K. Recent customer quotes are projecting a 6 month wait for this long term solution.

Option 2If you have not taken your Roadster to a Service Center, email us a log file from the car. We can provide you a detailed analysis what is going on under the hood.
We have advanced log file parsing software that will pinpoint precisely which sheet and brick are failing, and provide degradation rates which helps establish inevitable brick timelines. We provide this service for free to the Roadster community. Click for instructions.

Our repair processFor us, this is a simple a sheet/brick straightforward battery repair.
Despite aged packs going on 10-12 years, the majority of owners are still able to drive their cars, and we have not yet reached a point where the packs just shut down from age. Although there will at some point be an expiration date, yet to be determined, an ESS pack repair is often preferred, since it allows the customer to continue to drive their Roadster, until a replacement pack from Tesla, is necessary.

As always, we work with Tesla Service Centers, and the customer, handling and coordinating Roadster transport.

Feel free to reach out to us for log file support, bricked Roadster CPR and immediate response, or just Roadster tech support and collaboration. 623-433-850
Hi ,
I found your post very interesting and has given me a new hope on how I could revive the battery. My roadster should be coming in about a week. I will run check the log from the car and let update the post here.

Naren

Hi

Naren
No offense but don't bother shipping to SF when Gruber is on the way. You have 0% chance of getting the battery to trickle without a variable dc charger and accessing the battery out of the vehicle or through the bmb port. After 8 months the 220v charger will not help. I know, I've done it. Take it to Gruber.